Auburn Golfer, Jovan Rebula, Wins British Amateur Championship

around4ever

JOVAN REBULA WINS 123RD BRITISH AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP

13339458.jpeg
June 23, 2018

ABERDEEN, Scotland – Auburn golfer Jovan Rebula won the 123rd British Amateur Championship with a 3&2 victory in the match play final against Ireland’s Robin Dawson at the Royal Aberdeen Golf Club Saturday.

After capturing the annual tournament crown, Rebula has earned an exemption into the 2018 British Open, the 2019 Masters and the 2019 U.S. Open.

“It’s unreal and really hard to describe,” Rebula said of his feelings after winning the championship match. “It’s an unreal feeling. It hasn’t sunk in quite yet, but hopefully tomorrow morning when I wake up it’s going to be a little different.”

Rebula is the first South African to win the British Amateur since Bobby Cole in 1966.

The rising junior clinched the result with a short par putt on the 34th hole of the day in a 36-hole match play final to win 3&2.

In total, Rebula played nine rounds over a span of six days and emerged victorious in a field of 288.

The George, South Africa native won all seven of his rounds of match play, with results over England’s Billy McKenzie (2&1) and South Africa’s Malcolm Mitchell (1-up) in the first two rounds.

Rebula followed that up with wins over a trio of British golfers in Ben Hutchinson (1-up), Tom Sloman (2&1) and Mitch Waite (6&4) to get to the final match.

He advanced to match play following an even-par score (73-71--144) after two rounds of stroke play to determine seeds in which he tied for 18th.

Rebula is set to take part in the 147th British Open at Carnoustie, July 15-22. The Open is the oldest of the four majors on the PGA Tour.

Rebula’s British Amateur Championship
Stroke Play
T-18: 73-71--144 (E)

Match Play
First Round
Received Bye

Second Round
Def. Billy McKenzie (England), 2&1

Third Round
Def. Malcolm Mitchell (South Africa), 1-up

Fourth Round
Def. Ben Hutchinson (England), 1-up

Quarterfinals
Def. Tom Sloman (England), 2&1

Semifinals
Def. Mitch Waite (England), 6&4

Finals
Def. Robin Dawson (Ireland), 3&2

South African huh?    I've been to George some years ago when I traveled there on business......and it is a beautiful place....but really out of the way.....wonder how he found his was to Auburn ?......good recruiting job by our coaches. 

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

South African huh?    I've been to George some years ago when I traveled there on business......and it is a beautiful place....but really out of the way.....wonder how he found his was to Auburn ?......good recruiting job by our coaches. 

yep

His name and college will be plastered all over Europe/World during the US and British Open as well as the Masters. We already have some name recognition in Europe and S. Africa

25 minutes ago, Butthead said:

someone told me he is related to ernie ells -- true?

Amateur: Ranked in the top 100 of the World Amateur Golf Rankings and was the No. 1 amateur in South Africa prior to arriving at Auburn ... represented Team South Africa at the prestigous 2016 World Amateur Team Championship in Maya Rivera, Mexico, and was tied for 21st after the first two rounds of play ... won the Western Province Amateur at Clovelly Country Club in Cape Town in April 2016 ... won the Eastern Province Stroke Play Championship in April 2016 ... runner-up at the Southern Cape Open in 2016 and the South African Amateur in 2015.

Personal: Son of Carina and Dragan Rebula ... one sister, Mia ... studying in Harbert School of Business ... nephew of Hall of Famer Ernie Els ... never has had an actual swing coach but he calls his grandfather his coach as well as his father ... home course is George Golf Club in South Africa.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived