No near term plans for Vandy Softball

slot canyon

Recent interview on AL.com sports section (6/22) with Vandy AD indicates no plans to institute a softball program in spite of success of the 13 other sister SEC schools.  Major obstacle is that land and parking largely controlled by medical center so significant expense to purchase a site as well as build a facility.  They would likely field a volleyball team before a softball team since they could use existing facilities for games/practice.  I have often wondered why they did not have a team but can sympathize with their situation.  Softball currently enjoys a lot of visibility and increased popularity in the SEC and nationally (my opinion).  A number of SEC schools are doing upgrades on facilities.  I can appreciate that it would be difficult to commit the necessary financial resources to a new program at this point in time and go through a long period of "catch up".

Dang!  I pretty much knew this, but Vandy is my nearest SEC venue.  Maybe we'll schedule another game against UT in Columbia.

Archived