Keith McCants charged with possession

aubiefifty

Keith McCants charged with possession of crack cocaine

Updated 7:46 AM; Posted 7:20 AM

By Mark Inabinett

minabinett@al.com

Former Alabama All-American Keith McCants is facing more legal trouble after being arrested by the Pinellas County (Florida) Sheriff's Office. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end was booked at 4:24 a.m. EDT Monday on charges of driving with a suspended license (second offense) and possession of a controlled substance (crack cocaine).

Records show that bond on the two charges was set at $2,150 and McCants had bonded out of jail.

Since leaving football in 1995, McCants, 50, has been arrested more than a dozen times, including nine times in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area since 2010. His previous arrest came in January, when McCants was charged with driving with a suspended license, The Associated Press reported. He'd entered a not guilty plea and was scheduled for trial on July 10 on that charge.

McCants has said when he left the NFL and no longer had access to painkillers but still had pain, he turned to "street drugs." He once told the Tampa Bay Tribune that he had sustained six concussions in football and undergone 29 surgeries for injuries.

McCants was an All-State player for Murphy High School in Mobile in 1986 before going to Alabama, where he earned consensus All-American honors at linebacker in 1989.

Tampa Bay selected McCants with the fourth pick of the 1990 NFL Draft. After signing a five-year, $7.4 million contract that included the largest signing bonus received by a defensive rookie to that time, McCants played 88 games in six NFL seasons with the Buccaneers, Houston Oilers and Arizona Cardinals at outside linebacker and defensive end. He recorded 13.5 sacks.

The Countdown to Kickoff: The SEC's best No. 86

There are 86 days until the first Saturday of the SEC football season, and the No. 1 86 in SEC football history is Alabama linebacker Keith McCants.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @AMarkG1.

i agree. i cannot imagine how much pain some of those guys have to put up with after their playing days are over. i wish there was more the nfl could do for folks like this. and to be honest i feel for players like this and have no idea what the nfl does to help them. our own terry beasley comes to mind. not that terry has any kind of drug problem but it is my understanding his pain and health issues are off the charts. i sent terry a handwritten letter back when he was hospitalized  a few years back and was not expected to make it.

wde you made me grow up a minute as i was posting this as a slam to bama only to be reminded the hell he has probably been through for twenty years or more. i hope he finds or gets the help he needs.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

McCants has said when he left the NFL and no longer had access to painkillers but still had pain, he turned to "street drugs." He once told the Tampa Bay Tribune that he had sustained six concussions in football and undergone 29 surgeries for injuries.

This is why there is a heroin epidemic. 

Archived