Auburn Baseball Summer League Update

44 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Steven Williams made the Cape Cod All Star team. 

Yep. Ryan Watson also made the All-Star game in the South Florida Collegiate Baseball League. A bit surprised Davis Daniel didn’t make it in the Cape because he’s had a really strong summer, but he’s only had 4 appearances and 16 total innings. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Yep. Ryan Watson also made the All-Star game in the South Florida Collegiate Baseball League. A bit surprised Davis Daniel didn’t make it in the Cape because he’s had a really strong summer, but he’s only had 4 appearances and 16 total innings

Glad for that...but make one wonder why he goes up there for so little work/play....unless he's gotten to do a lot of "playing" outside of baseball.  Guess my concern about our pitchers being overworked was misplaced.....

On 6/27/2018 at 10:58 PM, around4ever said:

Isn't Chatham the team featured in the movie "Summer Catch"?  I hope none of our guys walk off the field chasing a girl.  Although if it was Jessica Biel...

Yep. I had no idea that you watch the Hallmark channel.....:big:

On 7/14/2018 at 9:49 PM, Tigerbelle said:

Yep. I had no idea that you watch the Hallmark channel.....:big:

the Christmas movies............................................

Disappointed to Julien looks to still be struggling at the plate....was hoping he would get some of his late season problems sorted out this summer but 24Ks in 58 at bats will not get it done....

On 7/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, AU64 said:

Disappointed to Julien looks to still be struggling at the plate....was hoping he would get some of his late season problems sorted out this summer but 24Ks in 58 at bats will not get it done....

He's pretty young.....give him time to develop. He has plenty of natural talent and he will figure it all out.

16 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

He's pretty young.....give him time to develop. He has plenty of natural talent and he will figure it all out.

True but apparently opponents discovered his weakness....dropped off as the season went along and was hoping he would become more disciplined in the summer league.

Nobody ….including AU can afford a position player who strikes out nearly half of his at bats.   He has the fall season to figure it out.....something changed mid year and he's not been able to get it turned around....yet. 

On 7/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, AU64 said:

Not too worried. I think he needs a break. He was in a funk to end the season and didn’t get really any time off to reset. Getting back to school and having a few weeks to think about something other than baseball should do him some good. 

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

True but apparently opponents discovered his weakness....dropped off as the season went along and was hoping he would become more disciplined in the summer league.

Nobody ….including AU can afford a position player who strikes out nearly half of his at bats.   He has the fall season to figure it out.....something changed mid year and he's not been able to get it turned around....yet. 

So far he's been a pretty valuable asset for AU. He will be fine. Sometimes players just have slumps....especially when they're working on their weak areas to try and improve. Josh Anthony is a perfect example of that and it worked out well for him. 

Are they DH-ing him this summer.  I’m guessing it’s all mental.  Wonder if playing the field and keeping his mind occupied during the game will him not over think at the plate.

hope the dude finds his groove 

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Are they DH-ing him this summer.  I’m guessing it’s all mental.  Wonder if playing the field and keeping his mind occupied during the game will him not over think at the plate.

hope the dude finds his groove 

Just about all of his playing time has been at 2B. He’s apparently flashed a really good glove this summer. And according to some people who cover their team, he’s usually the first guy to the field to take ground balls or hit BP. He’s working really hard on his game, which makes me think he might be pressing a bit still.

16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

and another one

The Candaian Crusher consistently crushed curveballs and countless other canon-arms in college that he couldn't consistently keep crushing at crazy corresponding quantities in the Cape Cod Confederation; coincidentally, the Crusher is crushing and cruising quickly towards consistently crushing again and is the character to conceptualize command over countless counterparts in the coming college calendar.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:59 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

The Candaian Crusher consistently crushed curveballs and countless other canon-arms in college that he couldn't consistently keep crushing at crazy corresponding quantities in the Cape Cod Confederation; coincidentally, the Crusher is crushing and cruising quickly towards consistently crushing again and is the character to conceptualize command over countless counterparts in the coming college calendar.

:hail:

I love the fact that people are still here posting and following our players in the summer leagues. It says so much about how Auburn baseball has caught fire again!

• 2 weeks later...

Final summer league update. The most notable performances of late were Schilleci continuing his dominance for Danville. His final numbers are very impressive. Really hoping those numbers can transfer over to the spring. And Julien finally got going late in the season. In his last 14 games, he hit .325 (13-40) with 7 runs, 5 RBI, 5 2B, 2 HR, 14 K, and 9 BB. The pop came back and the K/BB ratio was much more palatable in that late stretch. Good to see him finally get going. Hopefully, that builds some confidence for him going into this big Sophomore season. Wish Holland had been able to play more. A HBP on the wrist ended his season. Steven Williams also left early with some fatigue. Overall, it was a good summer for the Tigers.

Auburn baseball.jpg

I enjoyed following our guys this summer.   Two big things really stood out to me:  

The number of strike outs our hitters had. 

Is the stolen base number for Cade Evans correct?  17?  Wow!  Impressive!  

52 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

@boomstick   thanks for keeping up with the stats, it is appreciated.

agreed.....would have been nice to see some better batting averages   I figure most of those leagues don't have the quality of pitching the SEC offers but some are showing promise. 

Archived