D1 Softball Head Coach Changes

This does not have direct connection to AU softball but may have higher visibility for folks who follow softball and might not check the "Non-AU sports" forum.  Mods will move it as they see fit.  

The big news is that HC Mike White has left Oregon for Texas.  From what I can extract he had a salary about $237.500 last year but also earned a "performance bonus of $90,000.  He has 3 years remaining on his Oregon contract which Texas will have to buy so that is a fair size commitment right there.  It sounds like Coach White tried to negotiate a new contract at Oregon but in the end he was quoted.."opportunity to provide his family with financial security…".  Recall as posted that one of the Oregon assistants, Jimmy Kolaitis, recently departed to be HC at UAB.  One name mentioned for the vacated Oregon HC position is Rachael Lawson currently at Kentucky.  She currently makes about $230K.  I was frankly surprised that Coach White was not compensated at a higher level considering the success and visibility of the Oregon program.  He as a overall winning record of about 79.5% since starting there.  He is now in Big 12 with the likes of Baylor and Oklahoma so this shakes up that league a bit.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in terms of new coach for Oregon, assistants, salaries and potential player transfers.  I believe Texas has committed to facilities upgrades.  

Dynamic is definitely changing in college softball, migrating East

Wow.  That does change the dynamic.  If my memory serves me correctly, which is a big if,  I believe Jimmy Kolaitis has local connections.  I think he was mentioned as a hitting coach for us at one time.  That level of compensation is really surprising with all of Oregon's money.  Oklahoma will have more competition in the Big 12.  I guess I should read the thread about UAB's new coach.  Short term, this won't help us.  Congrats to the new Coach K.  Any other coaching changes?  Did Mizzou hire a new coach?

Missouri hired Larissa Anderson from Hofstra, who had a win over Florida State (1-0) this year.  Missouri power hitter Amanda Sanchez transferred to LSU.  Graduate transfer, so she can play immediately,for one year.  Kolaitis was at South Alabama for a while before going to Oregon.  And former AU pitcher Lexi Davis is now assistant coach at Furman.

• 2 weeks later...

Melyssa Lombardi, longtime pitching coach and associate head coach at Oklahoma, has taken the HC job at Oregon.

http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/breaking-longtime-oklahoma-assistant-melyssa-lombardi-to-be-next-head/article_36696906-8257-11e8-b9c9-03a5f8aaa729.html

Wonder if she felt that she would never get the OU job.  Last year she got a raise to $185K.  Seems the ducks would need to offer her more than what White was making to get her to make the move.  Good for her.  She was another coach I would have been OK with to take the AU  last year.

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Melyssa Lombardi, longtime pitching coach and associate head coach at Oklahoma, has taken the HC job at Oregon.

http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/breaking-longtime-oklahoma-assistant-melyssa-lombardi-to-be-next-head/article_36696906-8257-11e8-b9c9-03a5f8aaa729.html

Smart move by Oregon. They should remain relevant with that hire. 

14 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Dang it.  She was my #1 choice last year.  Thought she would never leave OU.  We obviously didn't try hard enough to get her.

Sorry in advance but I was not able to get the link to work.....Oregon released terms of contract with new coach Melyssa Lombardi.  5 year deal starting salary $325K with $10K increase each year plus performance incentives -ie $25K if win PAC 12.  Usual medical and life insurance and retirement plan as well as car and country club membership.  Thie is nearly $100K more than they were paying Coach White but clearly less than his current base by about $175K I believe.  Still makes me wonder if they had reasons they did not want to negotiate with Coach White or they could not compete with the offer from Texas.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out regarding the 3 schools impacted...Texas, Oregon and OU.

Think you meant to say $100K more - White was making 237.5,from what I've read elsewhere. They had just given him a raise last year, I believe.

49 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Sorry in advance but I was not able to get the link to work.....Oregon released terms of contract with new coach Melyssa Lombardi.  5 year deal starting salary $325K with $10K increase each year plus performance incentives -ie $25K if win PAC 12.  Usual medical and life insurance and retirement plan as well as car and country club membership.  Thie is nearly $1000K more than they were paying Coach White but clearly less than his current base by about $175K I believe.  Still makes me wonder if they had reasons they did not want to negotiate with Coach White or they could not compete with the offer from Texas.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out regarding the 3 schools impacted...Texas, Oregon and OU.

I expect each one brings something different to the table that the schools were looking for....thought they needed to go further....well other than the okies and Lombardi would never have gotten their HC job and had made a pretty good effort to keep her in you consider what salaries are like in Div 1 Softball around the country....but as we note in football too...the price of staying in the game is going up....

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Think you meant to say $100K more - White was making 237.5,from what I've read elsewhere. They had just given him a raise last year, I believe.

Thanks for catching that Whiskey....I cleaned it up.  Maybe that is why I let my wife balance the checkbook. 

Archived