BBQ Discussion thread

Grilling out is a northern thing, bbq'ing is a southern thing, both mean the same. Cook out is a fast food restaurant that serves ausome milk shakes!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Amen!! 

So a barbecue is a gathering of people for a  for food and barbecuing in a certain way of cooking food?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

So a barbecue is a gathering of people for a  for foof and barbecuing in a certain way of cooking food?

Pretty much, yep.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

So a barbecue is a gathering of people for a  for foof and barbecuing in a certain way of cooking food?

Correct me if I’m wrong @auburnphan, bar-b-q cooking is a slow low temperature cooking style similar to smoking while grilling is done at higher temperatures for a shorter period of time. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Many people also call their grill the barbecue. 

We use the term cookout but I use my grill for certain vegetables as well as meat. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Many people also call their grill the barbecue. 

Some people on here can also be "barbecued" if they say something controversial or someone is just having a bad day.

216E5EFC-D38C-4180-AA48-40F3EA10E04E.gif

Ahhh yes, childhood cookouts with brats off the hibachi & poutine on the side (can I say that on a family forum?) on one of the 5 warm summer evenings in Winnipeg...

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Ahhh yes, childhood cookouts with brats off the hibachi & poutine on the side (can I say that on a family forum?) on one of the 5 warm summer evenings in Winnipeg...

We really should talk about poutine more often. Even if it's on the side.

We've got a coach named Tim Horton, for crying out loud. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We really should talk about poutine more often. Even if it's on the side.

We've got a coach named Tim Horton, for crying out loud. 

Agreed! 

37 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

poutine

I'm ashamed to admit that, being a Southern boy, I had to look this up. Now that I did....dammit, when is lunch?

9 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Grilling out is a northern thing, bbq'ing is a southern thing, both mean the same. Cook out is a fast food restaurant that serves ausome milk shakes!!

Not necessarily. I routinely refer to "grilling out" if I'm making the distinction of putting some chicken breasts, steaks, burgers, etc. on the grill but of course, that is different from smoking meats with aromatic wood at low temperatures for a long time - that is true BBQ. I often hear fellow southerners refer to "grilling out" but they are always careful to make the distinction. Northerners may use the term BBQ interchangeably with "grilling out" but everyone knows there is a difference between grilled foods and smoked meats. As Grumps said earlier - anyone who tries to make BBQ by "grilling" meat has no credibility whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Not necessarily. I routinely refer to "grilling out" if I'm making the distinction of putting some chicken breasts, steaks, burgers, etc. on the grill but of course, that is different from smoking meats with aromatic wood at low temperatures for a long time - that is true BBQ. I often hear fellow southerners refer to "grilling out" but they are always careful to make the distinction. Northerners may use the term BBQ interchangeably with "grilling out" but everyone knows there is a difference between grilled foods and smoked meats. As Grumps said earlier - anyone who tries to make BBQ by "grilling" meat has no credibility whatsoever.

I’m from Ohio and I certain know the difference between BBQ and grilling out.

8 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Largely agree, but that last part is where the conversation gets really interesting. Some of the most famous ribs in the South and entire country aren't actually smoked, but grilled over low-heat charcoal. Are they just an outlier that need not be discussed and just eaten instead? Yes, let's just eat them. Good call. Good talk. 

4 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I’m from Ohio and I certain know the difference between BBQ and grilling out.

Ohio is just a Southern state that says "pop". 

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

All this started by by BBQ/cook out...........dead period

Trouble maker

Damn, I hope Booth wants to barbecue, grill, etc. in the real Auburn instead of that cheap ACC imitation of Auburn. WDE Mr. Booth!!!

40 minutes ago, fredst said:

It's only June....

But late June so only a week to plan our grill out menus for our 4th of July barbecues. What's the plan, gang? We should probably use this vacant space to discuss. 

16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Nope, it means both.. 

...and more

ETA - 

Dictionary.com
definitions

barbecue

or bar·be·que, bar-b-que

[bahr-bi-kyoo]
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
  1. pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially when basted in a barbecue sauce.
  2. a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
  3. a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.
  4. a meal, usually in the open air and often as a political or social gathering, at which meats are roasted over an open hearth or pit.
verb (used with object),  bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
  1. to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, often seasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
  2. to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.
verb (used without object),  bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
  1. to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue: If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.

Origin of barbecue

1655–65; < Spanish barbacoa < Arawak (perhaps Taino) barbacoa a raised frame of sticks

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Judging from this thread, that BBQ Boys Club I saw mentioned must have a lot of members.

Can't speak for all, but I'm reasonable sure that membership is still open?

ETA - In afterthought (I'm a bit slow),

If "Boys" in the title is definitive, I might have to re-think my own affiliation.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

and more

Archived