BBQ Discussion thread

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

But late June so only a week to plan our grill out menus for our 4th of July barbecues. What's the plan, gang? We should probably use this vacant space to discuss. 

I'm going with some Boston butt and potentially a brisket. I have this awesome coffee rub I put on the brisket....quite tasty. You should stop by and eat some Q and have a cold one ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But late June so only a week to plan our grill out menus for our 4th of July barbecues. What's the plan, gang? We should probably use this vacant space to discuss. 

or should we re-convene in the club (if it's not too exclusive)?

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

I'm going with some Boston butt and potentially a brisket. I have this awesome coffee rub I put on the brisket....quite tasty. You should stop by and eat some Q and have a cold one ?

Great! What can I bring? Phyllis* makes a mean 7 layer dip.

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

or should we re-convene in the club (if it's not too exclusive)?

Looks like somebody done re-convened us. I was, almost literally, asking for it. 

*I don't actually know anyone named Phyllis. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Great! What can I bring? Phyllis* makes a mean 7 layer dip.

Looks like somebody done re-convened us. I was, almost literally, asking for it. 

*I don't actually know anyone named Phyllis. 

I don't really like 7-layer dip, that's why I didn't mention it to Phyllis. Bring some beer, just not a high-IBU IPA please. Maybe some good potato salad ?

I hate when people think its perfectly fine to ruin a smoker with lighter fluid......I also hate lighter fluid!

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I don't really like 7-layer dip, that's why I didn't mention it to Phyllis. Bring some beer, just not a high-IBU IPA please. Maybe some good potato salad ?

I'm thinking a good dark lager or English brown ale to go with that pork. Maybe even a rauchbier to play off that smoke. Or maybe, since it'll likely be hot outside, something more refreshing like a watermelon gose or even a witbier if we're all comfortable with our masculinity...

This conversation is killing me, guys. 

We always keep it simple on the 4th. Hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, baked beans, apple pie, homemade ice cream, and watermelon...and we call it a Barbecue, I normally refer to the process as cooking out. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm thinking a good dark lager or English brown ale to go with that pork. Maybe even a rauchbier to play off that smoke. Or maybe, since it'll likely be hot outside, something more refreshing like a watermelon gose or even a witbier if we're all comfortable with our masculinity...

This conversation is killing me, guys. 

I love a good witbier in the hot weather so that sounds good to me. But I defer to your expertise....

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I love a good witbier in the hot weather so that sounds good to me. But I defer to your expertise....

Wit it is. I think the plan is sound. Can't wait. I'll just text you on the way over. I should warn you, though. I'm pretty effin good at cornhole. 

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

I hate when people think its perfectly fine to ruin a smoker with lighter fluid......I also hate lighter fluid!

Sorry I was late to the show on my "I hate" comment........we now return to your regularly scheduled brodcast 7 layer dip?

54 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

As a habitual Zippo (TM) user, I don't (or try not to) leave home w./o it.

5 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I’m from Ohio and I certain know the difference between BBQ and grilling out.

To be honest, I have no idea if some folks north of the Potomac/Ohio rivers use the terms interchangeably, I was responding to the earlier post. But I would also argue that most of the state of Ohio is more like the agricultural south than more Mid-Atlantic states.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Largely agree, but that last part is where the conversation gets really interesting. Some of the most famous ribs in the South and entire country aren't actually smoked, but grilled over low-heat charcoal. Are they just an outlier that need not be discussed and just eaten instead? Yes, let's just eat them. Good call. Good talk. 

Still being cooked over low heat and for a long time - just sans aromatic wood. I think we can all agree that good and true BBQ - at the very least - takes a long time to make properly, regardless of how exactly it is made - whether on a smoker, grill, or in a pit.

Let's go coaches! Get us some Andrew Booth!

3 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Still being cooked over low heat and for a long time - just sans aromatic wood. I think we can all agree that good and true BBQ - at the very least - takes a long time to make properly, regardless of how exactly it is made - whether on a smoker, grill, or in a pit.

Well said. But just to be sure, let's rendezvous at Rendezvous and triple check our findings.

Let's go coaches! Get us some Andrew Booth!

YES, let's turn this thread into an Andrew Booth thread. The more subversive, the better. 

15 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry lighter fluid used for grilling?

42 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I used to collect and use them. I was able to open them with a snap of the fingers, and light them with a similar motion, but not at the same time. Took me a long time to learn to let them sit awhile between refilling and putting in my jeans pocket. Probably still have some pretty cool ones somewhere. 

Wit it is. I think the plan is sound. Can't wait. I'll just text you on the way over. I should warn you, though. I'm pretty effin good at cornhole. 

I'll concede corn hole but I think I can be competitive at ladder ball or bocce. I hope Andrew Booth can come over for some Q, brew, and lawn games but only if this would be considered socializing with the BBQ gang and not an impermissible benefit.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I'll concede corn hole but I think I can be competitive at ladder ball or bocce.

You will definitely win ladder ball. Bocce... I have my good days and my bad days. My wife is better. 

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

only if this would be considered socializing with the BBQ gang and not an impermissible benefit.

giphy.webp

I used to collect and use them. I was able to open them with a snap of the fingers, and light them with a similar motion, but not at the same time. Took me a long time to learn to let them sit awhile between refilling and putting in my jeans pocket. Probably still have some pretty cool ones somewhere. 

Lighter-fluid dispensers, whether tin or plastic, are capable of both squirting and sucking. Over-squirt the wadding, and then suck back the excess. 

I admit, that one took me some time to learn.

Late to this conversation, but gotta raise the issue.

My dad was Alabama born and raised. I was born at Ft Benning, but spent most of my youth in Alabama.

After the Korean War, my dad (the entire family) were stationed on Oahu. There were many occasions when we feasted at a luau. This was before commercialization of the islands. Authentic pit-roasted pig. Genuine Kalua Pork.

I clearly remember him saying on several occasions "This is some of the best BBQ pork I've ever tasted." (Except with a few expletives included.) But, is it BBQ?

In the 1980s, I lived in Houston and spent a good amount of time eating my way through Texas cuisine. I'm gonna go on record right here, saying pit roasted beef is amazing. It sure ain't grilled, but is it BBQ?

When I see the term BBQ, I immediately think of slow smoked meat. But because of my history, I'm inclined to include pit roasted in that category as well. Because ... well .... dayum!

Your thoughts?

I consider anything that involves cooking meat over an open flame one of the greatest pleasures in life whether it’s called grilling, barbecuing or whatever. The preparation, cooking, eating...the whole process is one to be savored. 

I’m also disappointed that such an important topic got sent to the outer rim by the mods. Sigh....

12 hours ago, fredst said:

I consider anything that involves cooking meat over an open flame one of the greatest pleasures in life whether it’s called grilling, barbecuing or whatever. The preparation, cooking, eating...the whole process is one to be savored. 

I’m also disappointed that such an important topic got sent to the outer rim by the mods. Sigh....

Don't worry. BBQ always finds a way.

12 hours ago, AURex said:

Late to this conversation, but gotta raise the issue.

My dad was Alabama born and raised. I was born at Ft Benning, but spent most of my youth in Alabama.

After the Korean War, my dad (the entire family) were stationed on Oahu. There were many occasions when we feasted at a luau. This was before commercialization of the islands. Authentic pit-roasted pig. Genuine Kalua Pork.

I clearly remember him saying on several occasions "This is some of the best BBQ pork I've ever tasted." (Except with a few expletives included.) But, is it BBQ?

In the 1980s, I lived in Houston and spent a good amount of time eating my way through Texas cuisine. I'm gonna go on record right here, saying pit roasted beef is amazing. It sure ain't grilled, but is it BBQ?

When I see the term BBQ, I immediately think of slow smoked meat. But because of my history, I'm inclined to include pit roasted in that category as well. Because ... well .... dayum!

Your thoughts?

I think pit roasting absolutely qualifies as bbq. So does spit roasting IMO. Puerto Rican lechon? Hell yeah that's bbq. 

I think a pig roasted in a China box also qualifies, but that might not need any special inclusion.

I LOVE Korean "bbq", but I don't like that it's called "bbq". I totally get it from a marketing and convenience perspective, but I don't like it. 

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We really should talk about poutine more often. Even if it's on the side.

We've got a coach named Tim Horton, for crying out loud. 

Not to be confused with Timmy Horton out of Muscle Shoals, AL.

13 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Not to be confused with Timmy Horton out of Muscle Shoals, AL.

But bbq and bass fishing go together like peas and carrots so...

Archived