Anthony Kennedy is retiring

AUDub

9 minutes ago, channonc said:

You are right. Can't do math this morning. I stand corrected!

At least you are woman enough to admit it;D

Speaking of math, apparently many people have forgotten that DT has  2 and a half more years in office.....and it is he who selects the next SCOTUS justice. ..;not Mitch.    

In the previous case with Garland,  Obama was already a lame duck president and HC was going to be the next president so Dems should not have cared that much about the delay until the new president was seated other than they were hoping for a few favorable outcomes in some court cases on the docket.  

But now,    DT,    much to the dismay of the Dems is far from being a politically impotent lame duck president as was Obama in 2016, and is very likely to be around quite a bit longer. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Speaking of math, apparently many people have forgotten that DT has  2 and a half more years in office.....and it is he who selects the next SCOTUS justice. ..;not Mitch.    

In the previous case with Garland,  Obama was already a lame duck president and HC was going to be the next president so Dems should not have cared that much about the delay until the new president was seated other than they were hoping for a few favorable outcomes in some court cases on the docket.  

But now,    DT,    much to the dismay of the Dems is far from being a politically impotent lame duck president as was Obama in 1916, and is very likely to be around quite a bit longer. 

Didnt realize Obama had been around since 1916......not a fan but he has aged well?

59 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Didnt realize Obama had been around since 1916......not a fan but he has aged well?

OH yes....where is autocorrect when you need it....?    :)   That's the problem of being a child of the 20th century....sometimes forget the calendar has clicked over in a big way....

I’m interested in what Doug Jones will do. I’m curious if he’ll vote with the Democrats or cross party lines and vote with the Republicans in hopes of retaining his seat in the next election. It’s kind of a rock hard place situation. He’s a Democrat in a deeply red state. He may see it as a situation that the nominee will be confirmed regardless and cross party vote to garner home state support. 

7 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I’m interested in what Doug Jones will do. I’m curious if he’ll vote with the Democrats or cross party lines and vote with the Republicans in hopes of retaining his seat in the next election. It’s kind of a rock hard place situation. He’s a Democrat in a deeply red state. He may see it as a situation that the nominee will be confirmed regardless and cross party vote to garner home state support. 

It would depend on how it happened, but I could see this happening. Jones is much like Manchin. Blue in a Deep Red State.Jones is already having to run for re-election.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Interesting. I suspect that will chap more than one a$$.

The people handicapping this are not thinking clearly. They think that they can still sway this. 

This is out of control in the Senate. Its not the Republicans that are going to send it over the top, it will be Democrats in a pinch.

Now, please remember i said this: DJT has supported abortion for decades. Do not be surprised if he fails to nominate a strong Pro-Life candidate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/trump-in-1999-i-am-very-pro-choice-480297539914

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-removed-pro-life-from-his-policies/

On 6/27/2018 at 4:36 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Fair.  Forgot about that.

Reid made it a point not to touch that option with the Supreme Court.

Once you open the door there is no turning back.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Interesting from Susan Collins.  Says she won't support a candidate who supports overturning Roe v Wade.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/01/politics/susan-collins-supreme-court/index.html

No Judicial nominee will say one way or the other as to whether they will support Roe versus Wade.  The judges couch their answers in a way you don't know for sure what their rulings will be that is why Kennedy who was originally thought to be conservative and was on many issues was different on Abortion. Robert's surprised people on his Obamacare rulings.

I personally don't think Roe versus Wade will get overturned even though I am against Roe versus Wade as Judges need a strong reason to overturn legal precedence even when they disagree with it.  I would expect to allow some States to limit it more then is currently allowed with a more conservative court.

Kennedy was a unique Judge harder to read than most and whoever replaces will have big shoes to fill. He was well respected by both sides and does not deserve the animus of a small minority of Liberals who are castigating him for retiring.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Interesting from Susan Collins.  Says she won't support a candidate who supports overturning Roe v Wade.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/01/politics/susan-collins-supreme-court/index.html

Too many Senators now have a litmus test which means for a Justice to be confirmed he or she has to either lie or obfuscate about a good number of social issues that will likely come to the attention of SCOTUS..

JMO but the Senate is grossly abusing it's right of "advise and consent" which I think was mostly a courtesy over the history of this country until the past 40 years or so....whereas now it has become all out political war. 

On 6/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, homersapien said:

At the @WhiteHouse today, @ChuckGrassley and I will reiterate that the American people will have a voice in filling the #SCOTUS vacancy.

.@VP - "once the political season is under way...action on a Supreme Court nom. must be put off until after the election campaign is over.”

The next justice could dramatically change the direction of #SCOTUS for decades. The American people deserve a voice in that conversation.

Speaking of politicizing the Supreme Court (see above), Sen. Chuck Schumer always delivers. In July 2007 the New York Democrat gave a speech to a progressive legal society in which he said this about confirming a George W. Bush nominee in the last 18 months of his Presidency as recounted in Politico:

“‘We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,’ Schumer told the American Constitution Society convention in Washington. ‘The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice [John Paul] Stevens replaced by another [Chief Justice John] Roberts, or Justice [ Ruth Bader ] Ginsburg by another [ Samuel ] Alito.’” Mr. Schumer went on to say that he would recommend to his Senate colleagues “that we should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances.”

Mr. Schumer and the media may want to forget this as he insists on replacing Justice Antonin Scalia this year, but there it is.

Archived