The Opening (June 30-July 3)

ellitor

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Points for the joke and the meme. 

Pace yourself, though. It's only Monday morning. We're going to need you all week. 

I'll try...

15-03-cachorro-bebado.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Owen Pappoe takes second at Nike Football Rating Championship

By Keith Niebuhr

FRISCO, TEXAS -- Owen Pappoe surely will be disappointed that he did not win the Nike Football Rating Championship at The Opening Finals on Sunday, but the 5-star Auburn commit certainly came close.

In a tight battle with 5-star Georgia defensive end commit Nolan Smith of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy, Pappoe, a standout at Grayson (Ga.), came up just short despite posting extremely solid numbers.

The 6-feet-1/2-inch, 209-pound Pappoe, the No. 1-ranked outside linebacker and No. 9 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, placed second.

His testing numbers looked like this:

-40-yard dash: 4.54 seconds.

-Shuttle: 4.01 seconds.

-Powerball throw: 41 feet.

-Vertical jump: 38.9 inches.

-Overall score: 140.25 rating.

In the end, Smith finished with a 141.75 football rating after after posting a 4.55-second 40-yard dash, 42.2-inch vertical jump, 4.08 short shuttle, and 44.5-foot powerball throw. Smith is 6-feet-2, 232 pounds.

For Pappoe, though, it was a slight dip from when he shattered the Nike regional camp record with a score of 147.1 this April in Charlotte, N.C. Still, his final numbers were extremely solid. They were the only two competitors of the 163 recruits on hand to post final scores of better than 140.

Pappoe is one of the centerpieces of the Auburn recruiting class. Since he committed to the Tigers over Georgia on May 1, Auburn has added additional commitments and shot up the team rankings. Right now, the Tigers have the No. 17 class in the country and the average rating per commit is 4-stars.

Pappoe is one of three Auburn commits taking part in The Opening finals this week in Texas. He is joined by 4-star quarterback Bo Nix of Pinson Valley (Ala.) and 4-star receiver George Pickens of Hoover (Ala.). Nix and Pickens also competing in the testing portion of The Opening finals Sunday, though their respective numbers are not yet available.

After testing, the camp portion of the event took place. In that, prosects spend more of their time in position drills. Nix and Pickens connected often there.

Sunday night, Nix also took part in a long-toss competition for the 12 quarterbacks on hand at The Opening. Each quarterback got one throw. Nix went first and heaved a 63-yard pass. That end up tying him for second. Alabama commit Taulia Tagovailoa won the competition with a 66-yard throw.

Monday and Tuesday, skill players will compete in the 7-on-7 portion of the event while offensive and defensive linemen will take part in the linemen challenge.

In 7-on-7, Nix, Pickens and Pappoe each are members of Team Boomin'. So are some Auburn targets. One is 5-star Georgia wide receiver commit Jadon Haselwood of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove. He has visited the Tigers four times already this year and plans to officially visit in the fall. Another is 4-star receiver Jalen Curry of Houston (Texas) St. Pius.

• Like 1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So, it sounds like the passing offense will be a step back for Bo when he arrives at Auburn.  

chill-out-im-just-kidding-meme.png

No you're not lol

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

No you're not lol

jvsIqgz.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So, it sounds like the passing offense will be a step back for Bo when he arrives at Auburn.  

chill-out-im-just-kidding-meme.png

It's funny as heck and also sad because it might be true as far as passing concepts and routes lol!  

• Like 1

Kick me to the curb if you want, but IMO Nix probably runs a more sophisticated offense at Pinson than Malzahn's basic O. I'm hoping CCL can broaden the offensive repertoire, because Nix certainly has the skills to move the ball.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AURex said:

Kick me to the curb if you want, but IMO Nix probably runs a more sophisticated offense at Pinson than Malzahn's basic O.

Not kicking you to the curb but you're wrong.  

All offenses look "basic" when you watch 10-12 games a year of the offense.  They all have tendencies and base plays. 

Ask any fan base and you'll find a complaint about play calling regardless of success.  They want to run more, they want to pass more, they want deep passes, they want short passes, they want the TE involved, they want some trickeration, they want to over power the opponent...  

We must have the most talented players in the world because our offensive numbers have been top 3ish in the conf just about all the years Gus has been here running his basic offense. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not kicking you to the curb but you're wrong.  

All offenses look "basic" when you watch 10-12 games a year of the offense.  They all have tendencies and base plays. 

Ask any fan base and you'll find a complaint about play calling regardless of success.  They want to run more, they want to pass more, they want deep passes, they want short passes, they want the TE involved, they want some trickeration, they want to over power the opponent...  

We must have the most talented players in the world because our offensive numbers have been top 3ish in the conf just about all the years Gus has been here running his basic offense. 

I think he  watched the LSU game. 

Edited by lutzcammed

1 minute ago, lutzcammed said:

I think he  watched the LSU game. 

Trust me I was as frustrated as anyone that day.  I was fully off the bandwagon...  took a while to get back on.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Trust me I was as frustrated as anyone that day.  I was fully off the bandwagon...  took a while to get back on.  

I'm still not back on but I have not thrown away the ticket just yet either.

New season, new opportunity.

• Like 3

New season, new aspirations.  I think our offense will be better than in 2017 with a more dynamic passing game. The running game will be fine no doubt.

• Like 1

What often looks like the same play has many different blocking schemes and nuances an average fan doesn’t see! Other times plays are run to set up something for later in the game... so there is often more going on than we think.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Kick me to the curb if you want, but IMO Nix probably runs a more sophisticated offense at Pinson than Malzahn's basic O. I'm hoping CCL can broaden the offensive repertoire, because Nix certainly has the skills to move the ball.

IMG_1236.JPG

Just kidding 

Edited by WFE12
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm still not back on but I have not thrown away the ticket just yet either.

New season, new opportunity.

......to drive us all up the walls again and curb stomp our last piece of sanity....Kidding...Sort of..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ranking the Elite 11 QBs after Monday's action

Luke Stampini

Seven-on-seven play began at The Opening Finals on Monday. This is where we start to see separation among the quarterbacks. The 11 signal-callers (Jayden Daniels is out with an injury, so it's not 12) took part in pool play during the morning session before beginning the double elimination tournament in the evening. After watching each quarterback throw and keeping statistics throughout the day, 247Sports ranks the signal callers in order.

1. BO NIX

6_8481910.jpg
The Auburn commit threw the most touchdowns on the day with 15, and was able to hit on several big plays down the field to earn 'Alpha Dog' honors of the quarterback group. While other quarterbacks worked underneath routes, it was Nix that willing to take chances on vertical routes. The Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley product was the most consistent signal caller from start to finish, but he really came on strong during tournament play. Nix’s final stat line on Monday was 70 of 94 passing, completing 74-percent of his throws even with four drops by his wide receivers to ding that rate. Nix did throw three interceptions on the day, but 50 percent of his drives ended in scores. 

247Sports Composite Dual-Threat Ranking: 1.

• Love 3

The Opening Finals: Top skill performers from Monday

(AU targets/commits)

Georgia WR commit Jadon Haselwood – Haselwood led the pool play in touchdowns with five. He added another in evening tournament play. He’s just too much to handle for most defensive backs because of his size and ball skills. But what makes him unique is his ability to add a catch-and-run threat to every play. Despite his size, he was dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Auburn WR  commit George Pickens – The highlight man continued to be a menace for defenders on Monday. Because of his catch radius and ability to high-point the football, there are very few cornerbacks that have much of a chance on fade routes and even slants have become easy money for his quarterback Bo Nix. Pickens had one of the most productive days of any receiver with 10 catches and four touchdowns in pool play. He added four more and a touchdown in his tournament game.

Auburn LB commit Owen Pappoe – Pappoe comes to The Opening with high expectations as a three-time participant who has the athleticism to excel in space. He lived up to the expectation on Monday. In fact, he was in the conversation as the alpha dog overall. He had two interceptions (tied for the lead after pool play) and had six more pass breakups by our count which blew the rest of the field out of the water through the pool play. He’s just an athletic freak that stays around the football.

Edited by WFE12
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, toddc said:

What often looks like the same play has many different blocking schemes and nuances an average fan doesn’t see! Other times plays are run to set up something for later in the game... so there is often more going on than we think.

Not sure what those 17 straight first down dives set up against LSU other than our demise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1