The Opening (June 30-July 3)

ellitor

On 7/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, corchjay said:

Dude’s a straight baller.  Only concern is top end speed.  Size, hands, body control all scream 5 star.  Either way we have a fine WR headed our way

Exactly how I would describe Laquon Treadwell. He was alright at Ole Miss. ?

Edited by Barnacle

I don’t know if I have ever been more excited for a quarterback coming in than Bo Nix.  Granted, I haven’t really followed recruitment until about three years ago, but I have a feeling this guy could come in and win the starting job off the bat.  On and off the field he seems like a genuine person.  It also helps that Cam approved!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fredst said:
6 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Cam and those pants. ???

At least it’s not the romper ?

You'd think with his contract that he could afford a complete pair of pants. ?

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I don’t know if I have ever been more excited for a quarterback coming in than Bo Nix.  Granted, I haven’t really followed recruitment until about three years ago, but I have a feeling this guy could come in and win the starting job off the bat.  On and off the field he seems like a genuine person.  It also helps that Cam approved!

I'm not really a recruitnik but I am very excited about the Bo - Malik competition.  They will make each other better.

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I don’t know if I have ever been more excited for a quarterback coming in than Bo Nix.  Granted, I haven’t really followed recruitment until about three years ago, but I have a feeling this guy could come in and win the starting job off the bat.  On and off the field he seems like a genuine person.  It also helps that Cam approved!

You'd have to go way, way back. When Pat Sullivan signed with AU in December of 1967 I was still on campus as a student. That feeling was similar to now, but I don't recall anything in between to match it. In 1968 freshmen couldn't play on the varsity, there was a freshman team that played about five games. The home freshman games had huge crowds relative to other years, mostly people wanting to see Sullivan and Beasley. They fell behind the bammer freshmen 0-20 in Tuskaloser and came back to win 27-20. It was the start of a great revival in AU football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You'd have to go way, way back. When Pat Sullivan signed with AU in December of 1967 I was still on campus as a student. That feeling was similar to now, but I don't recall anything in between to match it. In 1968 freshmen couldn't play on the varsity, there was a freshman team that played about five games. The home freshman games had huge crowds relative to other years, mostly people wanting to see Sullivan and Beasley. They fell behind the bammer freshmen 0-20 in Tuskaloser and came back to win 27-20. It was the start of a great revival in AU football.

I was at that game and your correct AU fans couldn't wait for them to get to varsity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm not really a recruitnik but I am very excited about the Bo - Malik competition.  They will make each other better.

Don't forget Joey G.

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You'd have to go way, way back. When Pat Sullivan signed with AU in December of 1967 I was still on campus as a student. That feeling was similar to now, but I don't recall anything in between to match it.

There was a lot of hype in Jason Campbell coming in too in 2000. He was a 5* QB recruit, the last one we signed from high school.. It would have been crazy hype had the internet & recruiting was as big as it is now.

Cam in 2010 was big too. It's the only time I can remember ESPN putting up a ticker notice for a recruit committing not on NSD.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Don't forget Joey G.

Stunted a bit because it wasn't & still isn't known if he will be a college QB.. There's been more hype for QB signees on Bo, Cam, Jarrett, Jason, & even Khiel Frazier at QB than Joey.

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:
1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

Don't forget Joey G.

Stunted a bit because it wasn't & still isn't known if he will be a college QB.. There's been more hype for QB signees on Bo, Cam, Jarrett, Jason, & even Khiel Frazier at QB than Joey.

E addressed part of it but also, I'm not so high on Gatewood.  I could be (and would love to be) wrong but I just don't see a killer instinct in him, a la JJ, as I've mentioned before....  There's a timid nature in him when he's on the field. 

Malik exudes confidence when he's out there. 

Bo looks like he owns the joint when he's out there. 

Those two feel like AU's future to me.

Edited by AUsince72

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I was at that game and your correct AU fans couldn't wait for them to get to varsity

I was there too....on the bama sidelines.  A family friend and ex bama player was a student coach at bama & he got us on the sideline.  Got a chance to talk with Pat after the game and he was sky high over the victory.  Even though just a freshman game the intensity was extreme on both sides.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

JJ

tenor.gif?itemid=4519872

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

There's a timid nature in him when he's on the field. 

Now that I haven't seen & the #1 safety in last year's class would disagree with that statement...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4519872

Now that I haven't seen & the #1 safety in last year's class would disagree with that statement...

I don't Twitter so I'd have to scour YouTube but I've seen many clips of him running and slowing down to take the contact rather than dish it out, this tweet notwithstanding.

Comparing AU's big QB's...

Cam dished out the contact.  How many LBs and Safeties did he truck on the way to first downs or touchdowns... No offense to Jeremy Johnson (I love him and he's a fine Auburn man) but he would sorta stop and bow-up, bracing for the contact.  That's what many of JG's runs have looked like to me.

I'm only pointing the running styles out because that's what would differentiate him from Bo Nix and compare him to Malik Miller.  From what my admittedly untrained eyes have seen of these 3 young men, Bo & Malik are superior talents (at this time).

Course I don't pretend to be an expert... This is merely an opinion from a football fan ?.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't Twitter so I'd have to scour YouTube but I've seen many clips of him running and slowing down to take the contact rather than dish it out, this tweet notwithstanding.

You don't have to have twitter to click the play button embedded on the tweet here..And you must be watching a different QB. I saw him dish it out last year in highlights and games more times than I can count. And the way your OP read like JJ had a killer instinct. That's why I said who. Surely you didn't mean JJ had a killer instinct. Lol

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's what many of JG's runs have looked like to me.

You may be right but most analysts compared Joey to Cam for his trucking ability.

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Bo & Malik are superior talents (at this time).

I would disagree with this on a technicality. Joey is the most gifted athlete of the 3 & therefore more talented. I would say Bo & maybe Malik are the more polished talents but not necessarily more talented.

For me personally, I'd love to see Bo passing to his All-American TE, Joey Gatewood.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You don't have to have twitter to click the play button embedded on the tweet here..And you must be watching a different QB. I saw him dish it out last year in highlights and games more times than I can count. And the way your OP read like JJ had a killer instinct. That's why I said who. Surely you didn't mean JJ had a killer instinct. Lol

Oh, I know (Twitter)..just meant I don't have an easy Twitter way to post plays.. It was a nice run and I'm sure he has it in him.  Just seen plenty of the other too. 

HaHa, no I meant JJ did NOT have a killer instinct, so I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You may be right but most analysts compared Joey to Cam for his trucking ability.

Well, they do get paid to analyze and discuss so they must be right ?.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would disagree with this on a technicality. Joey is the most gifted athlete of the 3 & therefore more talented. I would say Bo & maybe Malik are the more polished talents but not necessarily more talented.

I'll defer to you on this because you probably have more exposure to them than me as to their physical talent.

But again I'm speaking more of their mental makeup as evidenced by their demeanor.  Even you have stated that JG may not even be a QB when all's said and done.  If only the physical talent was all it takes, then he'd be the starting QB already and JJ would have won 2 Heismans.... which is my only real point about him vs Bo & Malik.

BTW, props to @bigbird for his JG as a TE suggestion.  He'd HAVE to learn to dish out the pain as a TE.  If he has hands, it's a win-win.