The Opening (June 30-July 3)

ellitor

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well, they do get paid to analyze and discuss so they must be right ?.

tenor.gif?itemid=3527785

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

for his JG as a TE suggestion

Not sure if Bird was the first but many of us, me included, suggested Joey as a TE dating back to a year or so ago. In fact, a number of recruiting analysts said Joey would have been the #1 rated TE in the nation had he been rated as a TE because of his athleticism & how physical he is.

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If he has hands,

He does. Played WR most of his high school career & was by far the best WR on the team. He was a nightmare to cover..

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3527785

Not sure if Bird was the first but many of us, me included, suggested Joey as a TE dating back to a year or so ago. In fact, a number of recruiting analysts said Joey would have been the #1 rated TE in the nation had he been rated as a TE because of his athleticism & how physical he is.

He does. Played WR most of his high school career & was by far the best WR on the team. He was a nightmare to cover..

Love me some Dr. Evil!!

Well there ya go!  I certainly agree with y'all on the TE sentiment.  Maybe since he had to share time at QB his senior year in HS (again more JJ-like "nice guy" evidence) that's another example of him not being the Alpha Dog AU needs at QB.

Anyway...just my opinion as always.  I only play an Expert on ....well..... Never. 

War Eagle.

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

him not being the Alpha Dog AU needs at QB.

You could be right but time will tell. I haven't seen any evidence of him not being an Alpha Dog. In fact I thougt he showed great leadership skills in high school, especially doing a hell of a job willing his undertalented team to the state championship game last season as a part time QB. Something JJ couldn't do with more talented teams relative to competition.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You could be right but time will tell. I haven't seen any evidence of him not being an Alpha Dog. In fact I thougt he showed great leadership skills in high school, especially doing a hell of a job willing his undertalented team to the state championship game last season as a part time QB. Something JJ couldn't do with more talented teams relative to competition.

Agree, time will tell.  But, being that he's an Auburn Tiger, I would have NO problem being wrong about him.

• Like 1

Wrapping up The Opening Finals: What I learned

By Barton Simmons

The Opening distilled the 2019 (QB) class down to a four-person upper class: Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, Ryan Hilinski and Sam Howell.

* Over the course of the week, Bo Nix continued to remind me of Jake Fromm’s showing at The Opening. He’s not overly big, the arm doesn’t overwhelm you, but he just completes a ton of passes and he has an innate feel for the position. Nix had a bad championship game performance, but he was almost flawless otherwise.

* Auburn fans have to be thrilled with the amount of time Bo Nix and George Pickens have spent this offseason playing 7on7 together. The chemistry will certainly carry over to the college level and Nix has facilitated Pickens’ rise to one of the top receivers in the country this offseason. His nine touchdowns were tied for most at the event.

* Owen Pappoe didn’t compete on the second day of action so he wasn’t there for the SEC vs. Oklahoma showdown but the Auburn commit is your modern linebacker. Pappoe led the event in pass breakups with six despite only competing one day. He also had two interceptions and returned one for a touchdown. In the past, he would be described as undersized. Today, he’s exactly what every defense needs: a linebacker who is as effective dropping into coverage as he is at attacking the run game.

• Thanks 2

WATCH: QB Bo Nix puts on a show during The Opening Finals

By Tom Loy

An argument could be made that Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley four-star quarterback Bo Nix was the top overall signal-caller when looking at The Opening Finals from start to finish. Despite a tough showing in the championship game loss to team Overdrive, which was led by four-star quarterback Spencer Rattler, the 6-1, 210-pounder from the class of 2019 had an outstanding week and showed why Auburn fans should be extremely excited about the future signal-caller for the Tigers.

For his efforts, 247Sports National Analyst Luke Stampini named him the No. 2 overall quarterback for the week at The Opening.

The Auburn commit was very consistent and and impressive throughout the week. The Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley star lost out on ‘Alpha Dog’ honors in the title game after looking to be atop the pack for much of the week. Nix finished with 21 touchdowns to five interceptions and completed 113 of 157 passes. Nix was also willing to take shots down the field, and frequently connected on those throws. However, he simply lost his touch in the title game, but it was still a very stellar showing for the four-star recruit.

For the week, Nix completed 113 of 157 passes and totaled 21 touchdowns and five interceptions. Seven of those 157 passes were considered drops, which hurt his completion percentage. That said, his 72 percent left him third best among all quarterbacks at the event. He also scored on 47 percent of his drives. Nix had to run the show by himself during the 7-on-7 tournament due to an injury to four-star quarterback Jayden Daniels.

Team Boomin, led by Nix, fell just short in the championship game, but it was a great week overall. He had some help along the way from wide receivers Jadon Haselwood, George Pickens, Dominick Blaylock, Jacoby Pinckney and Jalen Curry, in addition to running backs Eric Gray and Tyrion Davis, and tight end Ryland Goede.

Nix committed to Auburn back on Jan. 10. He chose the Tigers over offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State and many others.

According to the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Nix is the No. 68 overall player nationally, No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country and No. 6 prospect in Alabama from the 2019 class.

• Like 1

The Opening Finals: Dream Team

By Barton Simmons

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

That's ok,.  We need to keep Bo under the radar.......?

• Haha 1

Hopefully we are recruiting McClendon harder then it appears because it looks like he might be the highest rated OT we still have a shot with 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

Hopefully we are recruiting McClendon harder then it appears because it looks like he might be the highest rated OT we still have a shot with 

We are recruiting him hard, Just doesn't look like he is very receptive to AU right now.