Siposs here to end punting woes

aubiefifty

Fortune Teller: Australian Arryn Siposs here to end Tigers' punting woes

Every Monday and Thursday, Plainsman sports staffers Zach Tantillo and Nathan King will analyze an Auburn football player who has a chance to make a sizable impact on the team next season.

Today’s Fortune Teller focuses on incoming punter Arryn Siposs and if the Australian football player can turn around Auburn’s abysmal punting game.

Usually, no one likes seeing the punter trot out onto the field as it usually represents a failed offensive possession. But the punter plays a crucial part in a team’s success that flies under the radar.

Football can be argued as being a game of field position. Having a punter that can flip the field and pin the other team inside the 20, 10 or even the 5-yard line on a consistent basis is not just a luxury to have, but a necessity.

That is an area Auburn has struggled over the years, especially last season when Auburn ranked as one of the worst punting teams in college football. The Tigers ranked 115th in the nation in net punting yards (35.61), 108th in punt-return defense (11.43) and walk-on punter Aidan Marshall was 95th in Division I for average yards a punt at 39.6.

That's why the addition of former Aussie football player Arryn Siposs could revamp Auburn’s least productive position in recent years.

At 25 years old, Siposs is not your typical college enrollee. Hailing all the way from Melbourne, Siposs played in the Australian Football League for five seasons before joining the ProKick Australia program to potentially join a college football program -- eventually Auburn.

The match was almost made in heaven for the Tigers. Siposs’ athleticism and leg power from playing in the Australian Football League is uncommon in the states; the game is vastly different than football over in America as players need the ability to kick well with both feet.

“He can kick it with his right foot or his left foot. He's going to give us a lot of flexibility with our punt team,” said Gus Malzahn.

History is also on his side, seeing as the last five Ray Guy award winners -- given to the nation’s top punter -- have all come from the ProKick Australia program that Siposs attended: Memphis’ Tom Hornsey in 2013; Utah’s Tom Hackett in 2014 and 2015; Utah’s Mitch Wishnowsky in 2016; and Texas’ Michael Dickson in 2017.

“He’s not your average kicker; he’s an athlete,” said Malzahn. “He’s got a great leg, and I think this guy is really going to help us. I’m very excited about him.”

PREDICTION

Siposs provides unique ability and athleticism that is rare for college punters. At 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds with underrated quickness, it would not be shocking to see more fake punts in the future from the Aussie.

"Tell you what, I would bet he's not going to be scared to tackle, because he's been tackling without pads on," Malzahn said. "So, I bet he'll tackle somebody."

Siposs should fill the immediate need at punter and is a clear-cut favorite heading into next season. 

Zach Tantillo | Sports Writer

Last I heard we were still waiting on him to arrive on campus.     Are we 100% certain this is gonna happen ?. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Last I heard we were still waiting on him to arrive on campus.     Are we 100% certain this is gonna happen ?. 

i hope so............maybe he is swimming up  lol

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What I saw way back at signing time was that he wasn't expected to arrive before the start of fall camp in early August.

Ian Shannon is one of the real head scratching situations of the last decade IMO.

My friend has been involved in developing some of these down under punters and said the main things that make or break them in the American college game are learning precision while kicking quicker than Aus-rules ball and - interestingly - resisting temptations in this land of plenty. 

cannot wait till see him boot a 65 yard punt and do it as the rule and not the exception.  Do not want him to get injured being over zealous on tackling would be punt returners. I am sure he will be schooled on this and will learn how to properly tackle someone on their own 5 yard line after a canon boot.

Hope he works out. We haven't had a real game changing punter since Steven Clark. 

People often overlook the punting position. But it sure makes a difference if the opposing team starts from their own 3 or starts from their 45.

I love his roll out punts. It looks like he is consistently getting over 40 yards each punt.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Someone needs to check those balls for helium.

2674.jpg

We haven' really had consistent brilliance at the Punter position since Terry Daniel.  I would love for Siposs to change that conversation!

(Note: Clark was good at hang time and pinning the ball inside the 20, but not a ton of distance - I would say very good, but not great!)  Terry Daniel was the last great punter we've had IMHO.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:28 AM, aubiefifty said:

Fortune Teller: Australian Arryn Siposs here to end Tigers' punting woes

Every Monday and Thursday, Plainsman sports staffers Zach Tantillo and Nathan King will analyze an Auburn football player who has a chance to make a sizable impact on the team next season.

Today’s Fortune Teller focuses on incoming punter Arryn Siposs and if the Australian football player can turn around Auburn’s abysmal punting game.

Usually, no one likes seeing the punter trot out onto the field as it usually represents a failed offensive possession. But the punter plays a crucial part in a team’s success that flies under the radar.

Football can be argued as being a game of field position. Having a punter that can flip the field and pin the other team inside the 20, 10 or even the 5-yard line on a consistent basis is not just a luxury to have, but a necessity.

That is an area Auburn has struggled over the years, especially last season when Auburn ranked as one of the worst punting teams in college football. The Tigers ranked 115th in the nation in net punting yards (35.61), 108th in punt-return defense (11.43) and walk-on punter Aidan Marshall was 95th in Division I for average yards a punt at 39.6.

That's why the addition of former Aussie football player Arryn Siposs could revamp Auburn’s least productive position in recent years.

At 25 years old, Siposs is not your typical college enrollee. Hailing all the way from Melbourne, Siposs played in the Australian Football League for five seasons before joining the ProKick Australia program to potentially join a college football program -- eventually Auburn.

The match was almost made in heaven for the Tigers. Siposs’ athleticism and leg power from playing in the Australian Football League is uncommon in the states; the game is vastly different than football over in America as players need the ability to kick well with both feet.

“He can kick it with his right foot or his left foot. He's going to give us a lot of flexibility with our punt team,” said Gus Malzahn.

History is also on his side, seeing as the last five Ray Guy award winners -- given to the nation’s top punter -- have all come from the ProKick Australia program that Siposs attended: Memphis’ Tom Hornsey in 2013; Utah’s Tom Hackett in 2014 and 2015; Utah’s Mitch Wishnowsky in 2016; and Texas’ Michael Dickson in 2017.

“He’s not your average kicker; he’s an athlete,” said Malzahn. “He’s got a great leg, and I think this guy is really going to help us. I’m very excited about him.”

PREDICTION

Siposs provides unique ability and athleticism that is rare for college punters. At 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds with underrated quickness, it would not be shocking to see more fake punts in the future from the Aussie.

"Tell you what, I would bet he's not going to be scared to tackle, because he's been tackling without pads on," Malzahn said. "So, I bet he'll tackle somebody."

Siposs should fill the immediate need at punter and is a clear-cut favorite heading into next season. 

Zach Tantillo | Sports Writer

I hope this guy lives up to his hype.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, doc4aday said:

cannot wait till see him boot a 65 yard punt and do it as the rule and not the exception.  Do not want him to get injured being over zealous on tackling would be punt returners. I am sure he will be schooled on this and will learn how to properly tackle someone on their own 5 yard line after a canon boot.

A  legitimate concern in some ways.....not uncommon for guys like him to outkick coverage and also not have much hang time....both of which can result in long punt returns.     Not sure what he's been doing to adapt to the US football and the need for  hang time....  Should be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A  legitimate concern in some ways.....not uncommon for guys like him to outkick coverage and also not have much hang time....both of which can result in long punt returns.     Not sure what he's been doing to adapt to the US football and the need for  hang time....  Should be interesting. 

what is a good hang time?  I am really not sure where he needs to be with this. I remember Reggie Roby with the Dolphins back in the day who had serious distance and hang time.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

what is a good hang time?

Whatever it takes for two or three fast guys to get down field and be there when the receiver gets the ball.   

So many of the Aussie kickers that I have seen playing in the US tend to  hit the ball low, some even running sideways before they kick in order to give the punt coverage a little more time to get down field.   On the other hand....those 38 yard sky high punts with no return are still not enough for this league....

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Whatever it takes for two or three fast guys to get down field and be there when the receiver gets the ball.   

So many of the Aussie kickers that I have seen playing in the US tend to  hit the ball low, some even running sideways before they kick in order to give the punt coverage a little more time to get down field.   On the other hand....those 38 yard sky high punts with no return are still not enough for this league....

????? The rugby style kicks have been on demand since about 2013 because they have an unorthodox spin to the ball that affect the return man. Not only that but it forces the other side of the ball to be mindful of fakes, particularly on whatever side of the ball the punter is running towards. If you are legitimately concerned about that, this might not be your guy, as this man is specifically built for that type of kicking. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

https://youtu.be/5oZYO0FbZ_A

Also not exactly a rugby style but the principle still can be applied. Look at what Sam talks about with his “turnover ball.”

It is not usually about hang time with this kind of punt....more about whether receiver will try to field a bouncing ball while defenders are charging him....which many don't want to do.

Could be my imagination, but the Aussie punts also seem to lower and lengthen the trajectory of the ball as well as ensuring that it always turns over in a manner that will make it continue bouncing downfield. That might be what @DAG and Sam mentioned above. I can't watch the video ATM, but I bet that 80 yard punt first hit the ground way shorter than 80 yards. That might make it harder to pin one outside the goal line, but rugby punters also seem to have pretty good directional control that would allow them to consistently make it go out of bounds close to the goal line. 

I don't *know* anything whatsoever about punting, though.  

This may be the most exciting AU punter ever (definitely since Terry D anyway).

Not a big fan of the roll-out punts if only because so many look like they're about to roll-out into having it blocked.  If it works though, great.  But I just prefer 

anigif_enhanced-23106-1392257341-13.gif

Archived