Anthony Schwartz has lofty goals

WFE12

Incoming Auburn wide receiver Anthony Schwartz has Olympic track aspiration

Tom Green

Anthony Schwartz has some business to take care of before he officially arrives on campus.

The four-star wide receiver signee, who was named the Gatorade National Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year on Thursday, will compete in the U20 World Championships this month in Finland -- where he hopes to take home the gold in the 100-meter and clock a sub-10-second time in the event.

While those are lofty goals for the 6-foot, 180-pounder out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., it's nothing compared to his long-term goals on the track.

"I want to make the Olympic team in 2020," Schwartz told AL.com earlier this week. "The next four teams they have, I want to make all four of them."

The 2020 Summer Olympics, which take place in Tokyo, would take place just before Schwartz's junior season at Auburn, where the Tigers plan to have him be a two-sport athlete -- something that has become increasingly rare in today's NCAA.

"I think, for me, because I know if I put my mind to it then I can do it -- I think it should be fine for me," Schwartz said. "I know it's going to be a little hard at first, but me and coach (Gus) Malzahn and (Auburn track) coach (Ralph) Spry, we came up with a plan to get the best out of me in both sports."

Did you ever imagine yourself competing on the international stage?

Schwartz: "Not really, because when I first started I didn't even know there were all these meets. I just thought it was the Olympics and that was it. When I learned about these meets, I set a goal that the next time they come around, I would be in it and I would win."

What are your expectations and goals for your freshman season both on the track and on the football field?

Schwartz: "On the football field I want to become a Freshman All-American and be able to help my team to an SEC title and national title. Then, on the track side, I want to be able to be another Freshman All-American, be the Bowerman Award recipient, which is the Heisman for track. Then, I know it's kind of big, but break the collegiate records in the 100-meter and the 60-meter, and win a national championship in the 60 and 200 indoor, and then the 100 and 200 outdoor."

You have no shortage of goals, huh?

Schwartz: "Correct, yeah. I'm just trying to go in and do what I know I can do."

What will be a bigger problem for the SEC: You and fellow two-sport athlete Shaun Shivers on the football field, or you and him on the track?

Schwartz: "I don't even know, because on the football field it's going to be unfair because it's the two fastest kids from high school coming in and we'll both line up on different sides of the field. You got to look out for one; you can't move both safeties to both sides, because then we'll just run the ball down your throat. Then on the track, having me and him--especially since we'll be training together for the first time -- we'll both get each other faster. I wouldn't be surprised if we went 1-2 in the SEC and nationals."

What's something about you that most people don't know?

Schwartz: "I'm a very serious Fortnite player and I listen to all types of music and I'm very interested in many things that most people wouldn't think. I can't really explain it because, like, I don't even know how to explain it myself. If I see something that intrigues me -- it could be anything."

14 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Kid has elite speed. Should just focus on track IMO. I'd hate for him to get hurt playing football. 

Yeah, understand that sentiment but how much does a professional track athlete make?

18 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Yeah, understand that sentiment but how much does a professional track athlete make?

Not sure if he'll be in the same stratosphere as the cream of the crop, but I just googled Usain Bolt out of curiosity.

Spoiler alert: ... roughly $60M net worth.

Also, he might think that he has a better chance at any career at all in track vs. football. Or he might just have more of a passion for track. Or maybe track careers tend to last a little longer on average. Or maybe he really can do both. 

Only the elite of the elite make that kind of bank in track.  An average WR in the NFL makes boatloads of money.  I think he is wise to keep his options open at this point.  Down the road he will almost surely have to choose one, but he doesn't have to now.  Same sitch for Worm.  Keep doing both as long as you can and you're passionate about both.  And when the time comes, you'll know which path to choose.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:31 PM, AUsince72 said:

Not sure if he'll be in the same stratosphere as the cream of the crop, but I just googled Usain Bolt out of curiosity.

Spoiler alert: ... roughly $60M net worth.

Wow ... that is not as much as I expected. Then football is definitely the better choice (minus the brain injuries). 

On 7/1/2018 at 7:48 PM, WFE12 said:

Incoming Auburn wide receiver Anthony Schwartz has Olympic track aspiration

Tom Green

Anthony Schwartz has some business to take care of before he officially arrives on campus.

The four-star wide receiver signee, who was named the Gatorade National Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year on Thursday, will compete in the U20 World Championships this month in Finland -- where he hopes to take home the gold in the 100-meter and clock a sub-10-second time in the event.

While those are lofty goals for the 6-foot, 180-pounder out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., it's nothing compared to his long-term goals on the track.

"I want to make the Olympic team in 2020," Schwartz told AL.com earlier this week. "The next four teams they have, I want to make all four of them."

The 2020 Summer Olympics, which take place in Tokyo, would take place just before Schwartz's junior season at Auburn, where the Tigers plan to have him be a two-sport athlete -- something that has become increasingly rare in today's NCAA.

"I think, for me, because I know if I put my mind to it then I can do it -- I think it should be fine for me," Schwartz said. "I know it's going to be a little hard at first, but me and coach (Gus) Malzahn and (Auburn track) coach (Ralph) Spry, we came up with a plan to get the best out of me in both sports."

Did you ever imagine yourself competing on the international stage?

Schwartz: "Not really, because when I first started I didn't even know there were all these meets. I just thought it was the Olympics and that was it. When I learned about these meets, I set a goal that the next time they come around, I would be in it and I would win."

What are your expectations and goals for your freshman season both on the track and on the football field?

Schwartz: "On the football field I want to become a Freshman All-American and be able to help my team to an SEC title and national title. Then, on the track side, I want to be able to be another Freshman All-American, be the Bowerman Award recipient, which is the Heisman for track. Then, I know it's kind of big, but break the collegiate records in the 100-meter and the 60-meter, and win a national championship in the 60 and 200 indoor, and then the 100 and 200 outdoor."

You have no shortage of goals, huh?

Schwartz: "Correct, yeah. I'm just trying to go in and do what I know I can do."

What will be a bigger problem for the SEC: You and fellow two-sport athlete Shaun Shivers on the football field, or you and him on the track?

Schwartz: "I don't even know, because on the football field it's going to be unfair because it's the two fastest kids from high school coming in and we'll both line up on different sides of the field. You got to look out for one; you can't move both safeties to both sides, because then we'll just run the ball down your throat. Then on the track, having me and him--especially since we'll be training together for the first time -- we'll both get each other faster. I wouldn't be surprised if we went 1-2 in the SEC and nationals."

What's something about you that most people don't know?

Schwartz: "I'm a very serious Fortnite player and I listen to all types of music and I'm very interested in many things that most people wouldn't think. I can't really explain it because, like, I don't even know how to explain it myself. If I see something that intrigues me -- it could be anything."

Can somebody explain Fortnite to me? 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Paul George

On 7/1/2018 at 7:48 PM, WFE12 said:

Schwartz: "I'm a very serious Fortnite player

But can he build as fast as he runs??

On 7/7/2018 at 1:52 PM, aujeff11 said:

Very popular video game right now with the younger folks, its free to play.  Basically you're thrown into a map with 100 other players and last man standing wins.  Based off battle royale/hunger games sort of.

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Very popular video game right now with the younger folks, its free to play.  Basically you're thrown into a map with 100 other players and last man standing wins.  Based off battle royale/hunger games sort of.

That does seem pretty fun.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

That does seem pretty fun.

Similar to PlayerUnknowns Battleground (PUBG) except more cartoonish.  I like PUBG myself.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Similar to PlayerUnknowns Battleground (PUBG) except more cartoonish.  I like PUBG myself.

You play vidja games 72? PC or console?

47 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

You play vidja games 72? PC or console?

Oh, not nearly as much as I used to.  I play either when I have the time.  I'm behind the times now though...

I'm stuck on PS3 with PS5 due out in the NTDF.  Use it more for the Blu-ray capabilities now than anything...

I prefer PC and I had a monster gaming rig (PC) until a few years ago...even my laptop was solid... But now, having 2 kids it's hard finding the time (or $$) to play.

However, I downloaded an emulator that allows me to play the Mobile version of PUBG on my laptop and lately, when I DO have the time, you'll find this middle-aged man geeking out to some battle royale ?

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Sounds like stuff I could get addicted to really quick. I’ve never been able to put down a good book, or finish a good TV series without binge watching.  The bad thing is I have kids that don’t care that I may have my own interests. 

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Sounds like stuff I could get addicted to really quick. I’ve never been able to put down a good book, or finish a good TV series without binge watching.  The bad thing is I have kids that don’t care that I may have my own interests. 

EXACTLY!

Your men’s 100m finalists: Schwartz, 10.19 Larsson, 10.22 Stephens, 10.22 Zohri, 10.24 Ashwell, 10.28 (q) Miyamoto, 10.33 (q) Harrison, 10.36 Monareng, 10.36 FINAL is TONIGHT () at 8:05 p.m., Tampere time!

My man is on fire ? baby! Win it all tonight brother!

Finished 2nd at 10.22 in the finals

1    363    Lalu Muhammad ZOHRI    INA INA    10.18 NU20R        0.131
2    657    Anthony SCHWARTZ    USA USA    10.22    .211    0.133
3    645    Eric HARRISON    USA USA    10.22 PB    .220    0.135
4    552    Thembo MONARENG    RSA RSA    10.23        0.136
5    292    Dominic ASHWELL    GBR GBR    10.25 PB        0.136
6    586    Henrik LARSSON    SWE SWE    10.28        0.124
7    425    Michael STEPHENS    JAM JAM    10.31        0.136
8    442    Daisuke MIYAMOTO    JPN JPN    10.43        0.143

M_100_f_1.jpg?v=-864703663

That bottom guy at 10.18 is smoking fast.  Schwartz beat the other guy who was also 10.22 by milliseconds which is what they go to in a tie of seconds.  Looking at the picture it goes by chest crossing the line.  Looks like Schwartz was third up from the bottom, 3rd place below him, and 1st place at the bottom.  

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Finished 2nd at 10.22 in the finals

1    363    Lalu Muhammad ZOHRI    INA INA    10.18 NU20R        0.131
2    657    Anthony SCHWARTZ    USA USA    10.22    .211    0.133
3    645    Eric HARRISON    USA USA    10.22 PB    .220    0.135
4    552    Thembo MONARENG    RSA RSA    10.23        0.136
5    292    Dominic ASHWELL    GBR GBR    10.25 PB        0.136
6    586    Henrik LARSSON    SWE SWE    10.28        0.124
7    425    Michael STEPHENS    JAM JAM    10.31        0.136
8    442    Daisuke MIYAMOTO    JPN JPN    10.43        0.143

I hope people truly understand how amazing this is...

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope people truly understand how amazing this is...

It is incredible and this will assuredly mean that he will be going to the Olympics.  2nd fastest in the world is unbelievable.  2nd out of 7,632,819,325 people.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

It is incredible and this will assuredly mean that he will be going to the Olympics.  2nd fastest in the world is unbelievable.  2nd out of 7,632,819,325 people.

I want to see him do big things on the football field , but this is why I strongly feel that if he isn’t getting enough pub early on, he needs to concentrating on track and school. Graduate as early as possible and go professional. I imagine he wouldn’t have any problem getting sponsorship. Especially since the US has made it their primary goal to overtake Jamaica in sprints.

Archived