best nicknames on the team

aubiefifty

The best nicknames on Auburn’s football team | Football

Josh Vitale | AU Writer Follow on Twitter Like

No football team is complete without a few great nicknames. The 2017 Auburn Tigers had no shortage of them.

There was “Trigga” Tray Matthews, “Skinny Pimp” Stephen Roberts, Kamryn “Bubba” Pettway, “Low Key” Carlton Davis, “Papa Stove” Tyler Stovall, and of course, “Legatron” Daniel Carlson.

All those players are gone from Auburn’s football team, but there are still a number of great nicknames left on the 2018 roster.

Just as a disclaimer, this list does not include any nicknames derived from players’ or coaches’ given names. That means no Iggy (Noah Igbinoghene), At (Montavious Atkinson), R.D. (Ryan Davis), J.D. (Javaris Davis), or T-Will (Travis Williams).

Here’s a ranking of the best of the rest:

T-10) Juice & Plugger

Two senior defensive tackles share the first entry. Andrew Williams goes by “Juice” on Twitter and “awillthejuiceman” on Instagram, and while it’s not clear where exactly that comes from, but Juice Williams does have a certain ring to it. Dontavius Russell calls himself “Plugger” because of his penchant for plugging up holes for the opposing offense.

9) Go-Getta

Junior defensive end Marlon Davidson said this derives from his attitude on the football field, which he describes as never stopping until he runs out of breath (which is “probably never”). “It’s just my mindset man,” he said. “I feel like I can catch down anybody. I feel like I can run down a leopard.”

? The Bookstore

Full disclosure: This is not yet an agreed-upon nickname for redshirt freshman kicker Anders Carlson. But it is one Justin Ferguson, formerly of SEC Country, is trying make a thing. And who can blame him? Anders Bookstore just celebrated its 50th year in Auburn. The Tigers’ placekicker’s name is Anders. Daniel Carlson had a nickname, so his younger brother needs one, too. “The Bookstore” feels perfect.

7) Worm

Not many fans probably know this as true freshman running back Shaun Shivers’ nickname yet, but they’ll learn it once he starts making an impact on the Plains. Shivers told 247Sports that his mom started calling him that at a young age because it was one of the first words he said, but it fits him as a football player — he stands just 5-foot-7, but he was also one of the fastest sprinters in the state of Florida as a senior.

6) Tay Boogie

Mike Horton revealed during spring practice that this is what they call redshirt freshman defensive tackle turned offensive lineman Tashawn Manning. It’s his Twitter handle, too. We can only hope that there will one day be a dance involved.

5) Pickle

This belongs to redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Nick Coe. Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele explained it best last spring: “He came from a school that he said that had a water hose at break. And of course now, you know, they give them Gatorade and popsicles. It’s like a smorgasbord out there. Break in fall camp. I mean, it’s like, geez. You know, they give them pickles for obvious reasons. He was so taken aback by the fact that he wasn’t drinking out of a water hose, that they actually had Gatorade, they had pickles and they had popsicles. I think he ate about eight pickles one break and he enjoyed them very good, and everybody was watching him eat them. And so from then on his name was Pickle.”

4) White Lightning

Senior wide receiver Will Hastings is a 5-foot-10, 166-pound former walk-on kicker. But he’s also an agility test legend in the Auburn weight room who has caught 37 passes for 623 yards and five touchdowns over the past two seasons. Matthews first announced Hastings’ nickname last spring, saying “He's White Lightning, man. He's so quick, fast and it's hard to put your hands on him.”

3) Boobee

LaFayette’s very own JaTarvious Whitlow earned the nickname at a young age, and the legend only grew through a standout high school career for the Bulldogs. His hometown even dubbed May 31, 2017, as “Boobee’s Day” in recognition of his accomplishments, which include nine state championship medals. “I don’t know where he got the name Boobee from, but it’s like Friday Night Lights,” guard Marquel Harrell said. “When you put Boobee in, we gonna win.”

2) Smoke

The given name of Auburn’s true freshman safety is Quindarious Monday, but when he was a kid, he used to run around the house so often and so fast that his grandfather began calling him “Smoke.” It stuck to the point that he’s listed as Smoke Monday on Auburn’s official roster.

1) Big Kat

Like Monday, this gets extra points because it’s actually listed on Auburn’s roster. It belongs to the sophomore buck formerly known as Markaviest Bryant. He was listed by his given name during the process, signed as Big Cat Bryant when he signed with the Tigers on Feb. 1, 2017, and now — after the error was corrected — is rightfully known as Big Kat Bryant. A kid named Big Kat starring for the Tigers feels almost preordained.

Josh Vitale is the Auburn beat writer for the Opelika-Auburn News. You can follow him on Twitter at @AUBlog. To reach him by email, click here.

Love the Pickle. The Bookstore, not so much. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Love the Pickle. The Bookstore, not so much. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

? The Bookstore

Full disclosure: This is not yet an agreed-upon nickname for redshirt freshman kicker Anders Carlson. But it is one Justin Ferguson, formerly of SEC Country, is trying make a thing. And who can blame him? Anders Bookstore just celebrated its 50th year in Auburn. The Tigers’ placekicker’s name is Anders. Daniel Carlson had a nickname, so his younger brother needs one, too. “The Bookstore” feels perfect...

Just who does this Ferguson guy think he is???

Worm, Smoke, and Big Kat are great because those guys are known more by those names than their given name.

I love the "Pickle" story!  That is hilarious!

I am not a fan of "Bookstore".  I get it, we have an Anders Bookstore.  "Legatron" is one of my all time favorite nicknames, we've got to do better than "Bookstore" for lil bro!  Maybe something like "Andermus Prime" (Transformers ref.) Or "Triangle" because he's good for 3 points every time.  Anything would be better than "bookstore"

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Smoke Monday is a football name if I’ve ever heard one. Wow. 

It would also be a heck of a name for a pitcher. 

15 hours ago, penguin149 said:

You don't pick Boobee??!!!  How can you not pick Boobee???!!!  Everybody likes Boobee!!!!

Never met a Boobee I didn't like

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Never met a Boobee I didn't like

Try riding Mardi Gras floats.

Just sayin'

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Just sayin'

I unliked this just so I could like it again

31 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Just sayin'