could be easiest home slate in years

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Toughest competition is LSU who should be outside the top 15. The drop off after them is gigantic (A&M)....after them WOW 

7-0 should be a formality honestly 

You should be right ?

• WarTiger changed the title to could be easiest home slate in years
7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Toughest competition is LSU who should be outside the top 15. The drop off after them is gigantic (A&M)....after them WOW 

7-0 should be a formality honestly 

That’s the good news!   Add 2 trips to MS and we SHOULD have 9 wins.  That means just one of UW, uga, and bama would get us to 10 wins in the regular season.  

That would be a good season!  However, how many people on this board would be happy with 10 wins, but losses at uga and bama?  It would be tough for me. I don’t like losing any, but it’s much worse to lose to those 2.  

53 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That’s the good news!   Add 2 trips to MS and we SHOULD have 9 wins.  That means just one of UW, uga, and bama would get us to 10 wins in the regular season.  

That would be a good season!  However, how many people on this board would be happy with 10 wins, but losses at uga and bama?  It would be tough for me. I don’t like losing any, but it’s much worse to lose to those 2.  

Let's just hope it's that easy. We have had double digit wins in back to back seasons a grand total of once in our entire history playing football... 

I'm going to need to see it to believe it. 

Imma have to go with @The Freak and say #ButGus

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Let's just hope it's that easy. We have had double digit wins in back to back seasons a grand total of once in our entire history playing football... 

I'm going to need to see it to believe it. 

Imma have to go with @The Freak and say #ButGus

I agree with you and @The Freak, there will always be a #butgus factor until he proves otherwise. So with that considered, we do seem to play well at home. I believe that 2016 tamu game was our last home loss. Is that 12 in a row at home?  If so, that’s pretty strong.  We also seem to play well in MS.  When was the last time we lost a game in MS? 2014?  Given the schedule this year, as @Dual-Threat Rigby pointed out, and just the fact that we should be a better team than anyone on that list, we SHOULD (and I cannot emphasize the word “should” enough) win those 9 games.  

Re: #butgus, it's definitely a thing IMO. The dude makes mistakes. Like, giant, massive, inexplicable, indefensible, completely nonsensical mistakes. HOWEVER... he tends to learn from them. He doesn't learn from them as quickly as maybe he should, given the stakes and the public scrutiny he faces each time. But you typically don't see him making the same mistakes he made 2 seasons prior. If this is accurate, and if my logic is sound, he's going to start running out of giant, massive, inexplicable, indefensible, completely nonsensical mistakes to make. 

Only 12 years total in CFB. That's not long at all compared to his peers that are winning more games than him. 

10 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Losing to both of them is hard to take.  Splitting them is usually acceptable and, frankly, understandable as they are consistently two of the toughest teams AU plays year in/year out.

10 wins with no #butgus moments, but rather well played/well coached games that simply don't go our way would be great....as long as they win one of the two in amen corner.  ....and it's time for AU to win a big time Bowl game!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Losing to both of them is hard to take. 

And completely unacceptable for all of 2014-2016. Those were not good uga teams. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And completely unacceptable for all of 2014-2016. Those were not good uga teams. 

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As a resident of Georgia, I can testify to the fact that there are no good UGA teams.  They are measured in degrees of evil.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

As a resident of Georgia, I can testify to the fact that there are no good UGA teams.  They are measured in degrees of evil.

Agree. Even their mascot is a man-made, inbred mistake. 

I’ve learned to never say winning against any SEC team will be easy.  Auburn tends to stub its toe from time to time.  LSU, TAMU, and UT could be tricky.  TAMU makes me the most nervous out of those 3. Arkansas could be pretty bad transitioning from Bret to Chad.  

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Very good point.  Very.....good.....point!

12 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I want 10 regular season wins any way CGM can get them and a big time bowl win for once in his tenure.  I can't find a reason that this will not be the case this season.  Seriously, he has his coaches, he has depth, a returning QB/OC, talent all over the place, and plenty of time to install an effective oline before the Washington opener in ATL.  It's time to man up and kick ass - get it done Gus!

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I want 10 regular season wins any way CGM can get them and a big time bowl win for once in his tenure.  I can't find a reason that this will not be the case this season.  Seriously, he has his coaches, he has depth, a returning QB/OC, talent all over the place, and plenty of time to install an effective oline before the Washington opener in ATL.  It's time to man up and kick ass - get it done Gus!

I agree!  The list of excuses is pretty stinkin’ short this year.   The only real question marks this year are how quickly can the OL gel?, and how quickly can our young, talented DBs reach their potential.  We’re in as good of shape preseason as anyone in the country.    

I still have the #butgus fear.  He has pulled a #butgus at least 2-3 times each of the last 4 years.

The 10 win mark is nice but if Auburn loses to Uga, Bama, and the Bowl to end the year then really how good is 10 wins?  Especially if the bowl game is another let down see: UCF, OU, Wisc, FSU, etc.  

I'm much more okay with how we are looking in terms of finishing the season next year. Experienced defensive line and a returning quarterback who was very good last season. We've also got a senior middle linebacker returning who knows the game inside and out and has become even more of a force every year he has been here. We'll be competitive in every game we play, just like last season, as well as have experience in important decision making positions that I believe will be crucial in road games.

Hopefully this is the year to make it to playoffs. We have a q.b. after this year we start over at q.b and malzahn hasn't had much luck developing one

It's interesting no one has mentioned starting COMPLETELY OVER at RB... who is pretty much the main position on the offensive side of the field on a CGM coached team. 

Yes Gus has PLENTY of time to get an OL together and find RB1 before the season starts at MBS in Atlanta vs Washington... 

But this IS Gus we are talking about. In all his years of being a head coach, he has Yet to be able to get his team ready to go prior to the season getting started. It's always 3 or 4 games into the season before he gets it figured out. @McLoofus, that is a very real problem that he hasn't shown he can remedy. It's a mistake he makes EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Can he get it fixed this coming season and have us ready to go? Who knows... I sure hope so. I'm tough on Gus, but I love him. 

Let's hope we go into this Washington game with a better game plan than we have had vs Clemson the last couple seasons... 

Never take any team for granted.  That is all I have to say.  Be confident in each game, but don’t look down on any opponent.  Lessons can be learned from just about any elite team falling asleep at the wheel.  

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

"But this IS Gus we are talking about. In all his years of being a head coach, he has Yet to be able to get his team ready to go prior to the season getting started.

Seriously, why does #butgus even have fall practice ? The first few games look like a rec team where everybody on the squad is required to play.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's interesting no one has mentioned starting COMPLETELY OVER at RB... who is pretty much the main position on the offensive side of the field on a CGM coached team. 

Yes Gus has PLENTY of time to get an OL together and find RB1 before the season starts at MBS in Atlanta vs Washington... 

But this IS Gus we are talking about. In all his years of being a head coach, he has Yet to be able to get his team ready to go prior to the season getting started. It's always 3 or 4 games into the season before he gets it figured out. @McLoofus, that is a very real problem that he hasn't shown he can remedy. It's a mistake he makes EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Can he get it fixed this coming season and have us ready to go? Who knows... I sure hope so. I'm tough on Gus, but I love him. 

Let's hope we go into this Washington game with a better game plan than we have had vs Clemson the last couple seasons... 

You are right we need improved play on oline and rb is a question mark but have some good talent. Q.b is the one position you have to have a baller and we got one. He will be better then last year with unfinished business.

Archived