could be easiest home slate in years

8 hours ago, keesler said:

I want 10 regular season wins any way CGM can get them and a big time bowl win for once in his tenure.  I can't find a reason that this will not be the case this season.  Seriously, he has his coaches, he has depth, a returning QB/OC, talent all over the place, and plenty of time to install an effective oline before the Washington opener in ATL.  It's time to man up and kick ass - get it done Gus!

I like you take on things!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

Stidham wasn't game ready  against Clemson last year and they were defending nc.  He will be night and day from last year

Yah, well Gus was not play call ready either. You know what is NOT a good recipe for success against arguably the best front 7 in college football? LONG DEVELOPING PASSING PLAYS! But we kept on doing them over and over and over to no avail. We have given away so many winnable games vs dabo. Gus rolls out the worst game plans consistently vs clemson than any other team in all of his tenure. Though last year vs LSU was pretty dang bad as well as we all know.......

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah, well Gus was not play call ready either. You know what is NOT a good recipe for success against arguably the best front 7 in college football? LONG DEVELOPING PASSING PLAYS! But we kept on doing them over and over and over to no avail. We have given away so many winnable games vs dabo. Gus rolls out the worst game plans consistently vs clemson than any other team in all of his tenure. Though last year vs LSU was pretty dang bad as well as we all know.......

I think you're on to something.....

First half, against LSU, was going so well Gus got on the headset to Chip and said "okay Chip.  We gotta big lead now... let's see if we can make the Clemson game plan work". ?

On 7/3/2018 at 4:22 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's interesting no one has mentioned starting COMPLETELY OVER at RB... who is pretty much the main position on the offensive side of the field on a CGM coached team. 

Yes Gus has PLENTY of time to get an OL together and find RB1 before the season starts at MBS in Atlanta vs Washington... 

But this IS Gus we are talking about. In all his years of being a head coach, he has Yet to be able to get his team ready to go prior to the season getting started. It's always 3 or 4 games into the season before he gets it figured out. @McLoofus, that is a very real problem that he hasn't shown he can remedy. It's a mistake he makes EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Can he get it fixed this coming season and have us ready to go? Who knows... I sure hope so. I'm tough on Gus, but I love him. 

Let's hope we go into this Washington game with a better game plan than we have had vs Clemson the last couple seasons... 

ALL of this. I'll believe it when I see it regarding Gus actually being prepared. Yes, on paper we should beat Washington. However, as we know games are not played on paper and if you have a team that's well coached then they have a good shot of beating us the first 3 or 4 games of the season. I get that our QB is returning but we're certainly going to have to help him out when it comes to scheme against a good team like Washington. I expect a close game just like the Clemson games. The question will be can we actually "close" this time. 

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The question will be can we actually "close" this time

:bow:

The difference in the elite teams and the good teams are how they finish.  

After blowing a 20 point lead at LSU last year and then losing to UCF in the most uninspired performance we have seen since 2012 I don’t think you can ever take anything for granted with a Gus coached team.  You never know.

22 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

ALL of this. I'll believe it when I see it regarding Gus actually being prepared. 

We saw it in 2014. Our offense was ready to go that season, which was the only time we ever returned our starting QB.

This is becoming very typical of Auburn under CGM. Come opening day, everyone is waiting to see if we are ready to play; ie, be successful beyond the initial scripted plays, communicate effectively, make proactive and effective adjustments throughout the game, not get tunnel vision with play calling under pressure, function with some consistency (oneness) and be unpredictable. The defense will come ready to play, will the offense and kicking game be as efficient?

On 7/2/2018 at 11:44 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

That’s the good news!   Add 2 trips to MS and we SHOULD have 9 wins.  That means just one of UW, uga, and bama would get us to 10 wins in the regular season.  

That would be a good season!  However, how many people on this board would be happy with 10 wins, but losses at uga and bama?  It would be tough for me. I don’t like losing any, but it’s much worse to lose to those 2.  

It's not losing those that will bother me.  It's how we play and what our gameplan is.  I'm great with winning 10 games and playing our tails off against those two and coming up short.  I'm not ok going into the UGA game with a gun that has one bullet loaded in it while a whole box of bullets is left in the safe.  In 2 out of the last 3 games against the pups Gus without hesitation or apology decided one bullet would be enough to win.  It has bit him twice now.  Will the stubborn one learn from it?

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

It's not losing those that will bother me.  It's how we play and what our gameplan is.  I'm great with winning 10 games and playing our tails off against those two and coming up short.  I'm not ok going into the UGA game with a gun that has one bullet loaded in it while a whole box of bullets is left in the safe.  In 2 out of the last 3 games against the pups Gus without hesitation or apology decided one bullet would be enough to win.  It has bit him twice now.  Will the stubborn one learn from it?

No.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:08 AM, AUsince72 said:

Losing to both of them is hard to take.  Splitting them is usually acceptable and, frankly, understandable as they are consistently two of the toughest teams AU plays year in/year out.

10 wins with no #butgus moments, but rather well played/well coached games that simply don't go our way would be great....as long as they win one of the two in amen corner.  ....and it's time for AU to win a big time Bowl game!

I’d take a loss to UA but another UGA L in Athens would hurt

On 7/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, McLoofus said:

We saw it in 2014. Our offense was ready to go that season, which was the only time we ever returned our starting QB.

He never really got the running game chugging consistently and the OL’s drop off probably was a huge reason why. I felt like they should’ve tried to run some creative sets to get it going other than pseudo read option five up the middle 

On 7/3/2018 at 7:37 PM, Tiger Scout said:

Stidham wasn't game ready  against Clemson last year and they were defending nc.  He will be night and day from last year

I was always a Stidham supporter. Even against Clemson. It's hard to do anything when you are running for your life all game like he was that entire game. 

On 7/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, auskull said:

This is becoming very typical of Auburn under CGM. Come opening day, everyone is waiting to see if we are ready to play; ie, be successful beyond the initial scripted plays, communicate effectively, make proactive and effective adjustments throughout the game, not get tunnel vision with play calling under pressure, function with some consistency (oneness) and be unpredictable. The defense will come ready to play, will the offense and kicking game be as efficient?

I would be surprised if the kicking game was as good. Losing Legatron is going to be HUGE. Having his brother is awesome. Hopefully he can keep his brothers streak of never missing an extra point. And has close to the same leg. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’d take a loss to UA but another UGA L in Athens would hurt

I agree. It's getting close to at LSU status. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He never really got the running game chugging consistently and the OL’s drop off probably was a huge reason why. I felt like they should’ve tried to run some creative sets to get it going other than pseudo read option five up the middle 

I'm worried about this happening this year again. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, abw0004 said:

Never take any team for granted.  That is all I have to say.  Be confident in each game, but don’t look down on any opponent.  Lessons can be learned from just about any elite team falling asleep at the wheel.  

Yep...that happens every year....to us ..and to other powers too.  

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep...that happens every year....to us ..and to other powers too.  

The losses we've sustained the last few years most certainly do not happen to other powers, and not at the rate that we've sustained them. 

The way we lost to Clemson this past season didn't even happen to an FCS team.

Gus has being doing less with more. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The losses we've sustained the last few years most certainly do not happen to other powers, and not at the rate that we've sustained them. 

The way we lost to Clemson this past season didn't even happen to an FCS team.

Gus has being doing less with more. 

Ohio State comes to mind...

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do tell?

Their fan base is saying the exact thing that some are saying her of Gus.  They have lost some pretty embarrassing games, including a 31-0 loss to Clemson in 2016.  Last year they lost 31-16 to Oklahoma and 55-24 to Iowa.  But they can also win some big games like we can.  It is pretty interesting when you look at the parallel.

To the thread as a whole, one thing people need to remember is Gus has shown he learns from mistakes.  He even makes moves that make some scratch their heads at the time, but it turns out to be a good decision.  Remember when he hired Steele, Burns, Woodson, and T-Will?  Not a lot of happy people on here.  But all of those have paid dividends on the field as well as recruiting.  Before we come to a pre-determined judgement yet again before Fall practice even starts, lets give this team a chance.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Their fan base is saying the exact thing that some are saying her of Gus.  They have lost some pretty embarrassing games, including a 31-0 loss to Clemson in 2016.  Last year they lost 31-16 to Oklahoma and 55-24 to Iowa.  But they can also win some big games like we can.  It is pretty interesting when you look at the parallel.

Meyer is only 3 years removed from winning it all- and beating bama in the process, which evidently buys Gus a pass for a lot of embarrassing losses- with a 3rd-string QB. Then they went 12-1, 11-2 and 12-2 with a Big 10 championship. I'm not talking about fan perception. No matter what OSU fans think about it, Meyer has done a better job than Gus. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Meyer is only 3 years removed from winning it all- and beating bama in the process, which evidently buys Gus a pass for a lot of embarrassing losses- with a 3rd-string QB. Then they went 12-1, 11-2 and 12-2 with a Big 10 championship. I'm not talking about fan perception. No matter what OSU fans think about it, Meyer has done a better job than Gus. 

Gus is also 4 years removed from the NC.  Meyers record may be better, but remember the initial comment was about no other team losing the way we lost to Clemson.  Which Ohio State has in those three losses I mentioned, one being to the same university.  Going strictly off of what your initial comment was about, Meyer has lost the same type of games as us and he isn't alone.  I remember listening to the Championship Drive podcast on my way to Savannah last year and they were asking whose seat was hotter, Gus or Meyer.  They proceeded to point out the parallels between their losses.  I am not trying to pick on the guy, I like Meyer.  I just wanted to point out that teams do lose the way we have lost.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Gus is also 4 years removed from the NC. 

He lost. After leading at halftime.

Meyers record may be better, but remember the initial comment was about no other team losing the way we lost to Clemson.  Which Ohio State has in those three losses I mentioned, one being to the same university.  Going strictly off of what your initial comment was about, Meyer has lost the same type of games as us and he isn't alone.  I remember listening to the Championship Drive podcast on my way to Savannah last year and they were asking whose seat was hotter, Gus or Meyer.  They proceeded to point out the parallels between their losses.  I am not trying to pick on the guy, I like Meyer.  I just wanted to point out that teams do lose the way we have lost.

Point conceded. There is one guy who has lost games similarly to how Gus has lost. Unfortunately for Gus, he doesn't fit the 2nd criterion I mentioned. And he did just win his conference- didn't merely get to the championship game and then fail to score more than 7 points- and he did win the big one instead of losing it. With his 3rd string QB. Gus is a long way from being in the same conversation as Meyer. 

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Before we come to a pre-determined judgement yet again before Fall practice even starts, lets

Can't speak for everyone but for me it's not a pre-determined judgement but rather a hesitant, gut-wrenching waiting.  I usually go into a season, nothing but excited and anticipatory.  Even after a bad season or coaching change.  I was excited going into '93 and '13 even (considering '92 & '12 were disasters)....

I was excited going into '14, '15 & even '16 (though cautious for '16).  However, going into last year I was cautious at best and due to the silly contract he lucked into I'm again cautious but "forcing" myself to be at least somewhat optimistic with Stidham back, the return of Grimes and a great D.

But anyone who's "rah-rah, we're gonna win cuz we're Auburn" just doesn't get football.  I think most of us are giving him (yet another) chance to prove what he's learned....but not too many are blindly following him over a cliff.  Too much history for that.

Now, with that said, he puts forth solid game plans week in and week out, we'll all get back on board, I'm sure. .....well, maybe not ALL but most of us who are skeptical, anyway, and his ardent apologists won't have to work so hard.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Can't speak for everyone but for me it's not a pre-determined judgement but rather a hesitant, gut-wrenching waiting.  I usually go into a season, nothing but excited and anticipatory.  Even after a bad season or coaching change.  I was excited going into '93 and '13 even (considering '92 & '12 were disasters)....

I was excited going into '14, '15 & even '16 (though cautious for '16).  However, going into last year I was cautious at best and due to the silly contract he lucked into I'm again cautious at best but "forcing" myself to be at least somewhat optimistic with Stidham back, the return of Grimes and a great D.

But anyone who's "rah-rah, we're gonna win cuz we're Auburn" just doesn't get football.  I think most of us are giving him (yet another) chance to prove what he's learned....but not too many are blindly following him over a cliff.  Too much history for that.

Now, with that said, he puts forth solid game plans week in and week out, we'll all get back on board, I'm sure. .....well, maybe not ALL but most of us who are skeptical, anyway, and his ardent apologists won't have to work so hard.

That is fair to say.  I just saw a few comments headed that way.  Not all, just some.  I am excited to matter what, and after football starts, basketball starts.  So the Fall is really a good time of the year.  56 days...

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is fair to say.  I just saw a few comments headed that way.  Not all, just some.  I am excited to matter what, and after football starts, basketball starts.  So the Fall is really a good time of the year.  56 days...

Agree. And, just in case, I'll clarify that my observations on Gus are just that- observations. Not predictions. I've seen patterns, but I've also seen patterns change/improve/cease altogether in Gus's tenure. I maintain optimism. I do not assume that certain mistakes will be repeated. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. And, just in case, I'll clarify that my observations on Gus are just that- observations. Not predictions. I've seen patterns, but I've also seen patterns change/improve/cease altogether in Gus's tenure. I maintain optimism. I do not assume that certain mistakes will be repeated. 

The 2018 Auburn Football motto:

Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Archived