could be easiest home slate in years

I agree it’s not a tough home slate. Also why I don’t plan on getting season tickets coupled with their current prices.

I’ll make it up there twice at least and we are planning on going to the Ole Miss game.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know y'all like to thump on Gus but get a better story line than his "bad losses". 

Last year  #1 bama lost to underdog Auburn, and #1 Georgia lost to underdog Auburn and Georgia had bama totally under control at the half and lost the championship game, and Oklahoma lost to Iowa State, Clemson lost to Pitt., Ohio State got destroyed by Iowa, ...and the list goes on.

Here are some good ones to remember....https://www.si.com/college-football/photo/2018/02/02/upsets-2017-schedule-maryland-texas-oklahoma-iowa-state

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I know y'all like to thump on Gus but get a better story line than his "bad losses". 

Aye Cap'n!

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Aye Cap'n!

tenor.gif

C'mon...what does homey always say.....:" you are better than that"......and you just need some new material....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

C'mon...what does homey always say.....:" you are better than that"......and you just need some new material....

Hey, the past is the past.  It's now ever-forward and I'm Major Sunshine.  

Ready for the "Gus Proving the Skeptics Wrong Tour" 2018!

War Eagle.

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Last year  #1 bama lost to underdog Auburn, and #1 Georgia lost to underdog Auburn and Georgia had bama totally under control at the half and lost the championship game, and Oklahoma lost to Iowa State, Clemson lost to Pitt., Ohio State got destroyed by Iowa, ...and the list goes on.

Here are some good ones to remember....https://www.si.com/college-football/photo/2018/02/02/upsets-2017-schedule-maryland-texas-oklahoma-iowa-state

The storyline is what it is. Until narrative changes, i don't expect otherwise. I'd like nothing more for Gus to be consistent. I love the fact that we still are able to recruit at a high level on offense despite not fully utilizing the talent we get. Honestly, it amazes me outside of the RB position. There have been some great memories under Gus. However, just like the top moments will go down as top 10 or 15 in college football, there are too many moments that are completely bizarre and unexplainable regarding coaching on his part. I'm not asking for perfection at all and not even expecting a machine every year like Bama. Just eliminate too many of the WTF moments of Gus like he's never coached before. Find a balance and be consistent. Make adjustments quicker. I don't think that's a lot to ask of him. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Which one of those coaches can claim numerous losses where they scored under 14 points in just the last 2 years? Gus has 5. 

Realistically Gus has a five year window to show what he's learned in his first five years.  He has recruited very well.  He has two outstanding coordinators, one of which he trusts. He has a good mix of young and veteran assistant coaches.  I think he's capable of being an elite coach if he continues to learn from his experiences (he's beaten Saban twice and won SEC once and SEC west twice).  If he can trust his coaches and players, he could be special.  If not, it's another ten years of 8 or 9 wins and 4 or 5 losses.  Optimistically gun shy.;)

I'm all for AU and Gus, but I have been conditioned to be very cautiously optimistic at best, and leery of being "all in" with optimism. Not necessarily of losing a close game, but being just plane out coached or losing to a lesser quality team. I just want to avoid that "deer in the headlights" or that "what was that?" game when thinking we finally got it together. I have wanted for a long time to see the prognosticators always including us as even picks to be in the SEC championship game.  I think we have as much talent as I remember at Auburn, in fact a butt load of talent and the defense I have been praying for every year.

Ugh can football season just get here already .. dragging along. Slowly I am getting the AU fever again E.G. homerism 

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't think I've ever said that to you<_<

;D

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Get a better story line? 

Last year Bama sustained 1 loss and won top prize when it was all said and done, UGA 2 losses and still played for the NC, Clemson 2 losses and made the playoff, Oklahoma had 2 losses and made the playoff, OSU had 2 bad losses and were left out of the playoff.  

Folks will stop thumping on Gus when he finds a way to stop averaging 4 losses a dang year.  :banghead:

It's on Gus to change the story line, he has the tools and weapons to do it this season - no excuses!

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Realistically Gus has a five year window to show what he's learned in his first five years.  He has recruited very well.  He has two outstanding coordinators, one of which he trusts. He has a good mix of young and veteran assistant coaches.  I think he's capable of being an elite coach if he continues to learn from his experiences (he's beaten Saban twice and won SEC once and SEC west twice).  If he can trust his coaches and players, he could be special.  If not, it's another ten years of 8 or 9 wins and 4 or 5 losses.  Optimistically gun shy.;)

Re: That

'Gus Malzahn is paranoid.

He admits it. The Auburn football coach, however, would rather use another word to describe himself — even if it holds the same connotation...

“I like to say protective,” Malzahn says in the latest episode of Auburn Undercover’s “Driving Plains.” “We work extremely hard and obviously in our league it’s very important to win. I’m just more like protective of my team and my coaches and what we’re doing to give our guys the best chance of being successful and winning and not getting information out there that could hurt us. So, I like to use the word protective instead of paranoid — which I’ve been called paranoid before.” '

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Driving-Plains-Why-Auburn-Tigers-coach-Gus-Malzahn-is-paranoid-119661186/

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, AU64 said:

Actually Clemson lost to Syracuse, which is pretty bad and SHOULD have kept them from ever getting up to #1

8 hours ago, keesler said:

Get a better story line? 

Last year Bama sustained 1 loss and won top prize when it was all said and done, UGA 2 losses and still played for the NC, Clemson 2 losses and made the playoff, Oklahoma had 2 losses and made the playoff, OSU had 2 bad losses and were left out of the playoff.  

Folks will stop thumping on Gus when he finds a way to stop averaging 4 losses a dang year.  :banghead:

It's on Gus to change the story line, he has the tools and weapons to do it this season - no excuses!

Neither Georgia, Oklahoma nor C;emson had 2 losses when the playoff field was announced. They had 1 loss each. 

Facts and stuff...

its crazy how most articles that do these coaching rankings have Gus outside of the top 15 and closer to the 20s (if not there) while Auburn based on merit and talent alone consistently gets ranked top 10

makes you wonder 

On 7/9/2018 at 3:21 PM, AU64 said:

The guy lost to a true freshman QB who played awfully against LTech at home...this same team lost 59-0 to UA. And followed that loss with getting almost skunked by a pretty mediocre UGA team. In fact he didnt win another game against a P5 team for that season 

Gus just has a really bad track record in big games 

14 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

You missed the point of his post. Also, when you quote someone you want to quote them and then click down below the quote box to add your text. Your comments are appearing in the same space as the quote.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You missed the point of his post. Also, when you quote someone you want to quote them and then click down below the quote box to add your text. Your comments are appearing in the same space as the quote.

I did not miss the point of his post. Maybe you did though.

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

Curious...

Outside of "correcting" him and kindly pointing out that those teams only had 1 loss each at the time vs Auburn's 3, what's your take on the point he was making?

Just for the sake of discussion...

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

There is a disconnect somewhere, as my response to AU64's post had very little to do with the losses of other teams.

AU64 posted, "the folks that like to thump on Gus need to get a better story line than his "bad losses."  He then proceeded to list a group of teams with losses during the '17 season as examples of "bad losses."  

My response was simple, only Gus can change the story line and when he finds a way to stop averaging 4 losses a year he may be able to have his team in the playoffs like CU/UAT/UGA/OK/OSU have done during the playoff era. 

People won't feel the need to thump on Gus if he'll pick up the pace, stop the idiotic/head scratching game plans and in-game decisions that result in inexplicable losses every year, and just win a dang bowl game for crying out loud.

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Curious...

Outside of "correcting" him and kindly pointing out that those teams only had 1 loss each at the time vs Auburn's 3, what's your take on the point he was making?

Just for the sake of discussion...

I agree! AU consistently losing 4-5 games a year is ridiculous for a premiere program like ours. If I can coach AU to an undefeated national title in EASports 2014 why can't Malzahn do it in real life? >>SARCASM<<

27 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I agree! AU consistently losing 4-5 games a year is ridiculous for a premiere program like ours. If I can coach AU to an undefeated national title in EASports 2014 why can't Malzahn do it in real life? >>SARCASM<<

Because if a play doesn't work for you I assume you try something different. 

Archived