could be easiest home slate in years

45 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I agree! AU consistently losing 4-5 games a year is ridiculous for a premiere program like ours. If I can coach AU to an undefeated national title in EASports 2014 why can't Malzahn do it in real life? >>SARCASM<<

"Sarcasm" in your whole post? 

Or are you at least not okay with a 4 loss avg per year?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

"Sarcasm" in your whole post? 

Or are you at least not okay with a 4 loss avg per year?

The sarcasm was in reference to EA Sports comment.

11 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Congrats on spitting out a non-smartass post. Out of your 116, I've only read 4 posts and I was starting to think you only had one speed. 

20 hours ago, keesler said:

There is a disconnect somewhere, as my response to AU64's post had very little to do with the losses of other teams.

AU64 posted, "the folks that like to thump on Gus need to get a better story line than his "bad losses."  He then proceeded to list a group of teams with losses during the '17 season as examples of "bad losses."  

My response was simple, only Gus can change the story line and when he finds a way to stop averaging 4 losses a year he may be able to have his team in the playoffs like CU/UAT/UGA/OK/OSU have done during the playoff era. 

People won't feel the need to thump on Gus if he'll pick up the pace, stop the idiotic/head scratching game plans and in-game decisions that result in inexplicable losses every year, and just win a dang bowl game for crying out loud.

Every single person who read it got that except one. 

48 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Okay.....

Good "conversation".

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

13 hours ago, gr82be said:

Because if a play doesn't work for you I assume you try something different. 

I don't know what you are referring to.  Gus runs up the middle 17 times in a row to set up the WR screen.  Just because a play is not successful the first 28 times it is ran during a game does not mean he is not putting the defense to sleep to unleash our top three surprise plays; the WR screen, the RB screen to Devan Barrett, and the go deep and pray.  Sarcasm....  Kind of 

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I don't know what you are referring to.  Gus runs up the middle 17 times in a row to set up the WR screen.  Just because a play is not successful the first 28 times it is ran during a game does not mean he is not putting the defense to sleep to unleash our top three surprise plays; the WR screen, the RB screen to Devan Barrett, and the go deep and pray.  Sarcasm....  Kind of 

If you look at the percentages of the play mix, Auburn last year was right about at 50-50 with passes vs. run plays.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

Just now, abw0004 said:

If you look at the percentages of the play mix, Auburn last year was right about at 50-50 with passes vs. run plays.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

I have researched it.  It is actually unreal at some of the stats we have.  For example I think the attempts per game passing and running are almost identical at home and on the road.  I think if you look we are actually around 27 passing attempts per game average and around 45 rushing attempts per game average last year.  I would need to go back and look.  Regardless of the number of each that is not what disappoints me.  It is the types of run plays and pass plays called and when they are called that bothers me.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Interesting note about that: Ryan Davis shattered the single season record for receptions by an Auburn receiver last year; yet, he is not even in the top 10 for yards in a season. That tells us a little bit about the passes we were throwing. Like @NorthGATiger said, the WR screen was one of the 4 plays we ran. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Tigers_football_statistical_leaders#Receptions

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

How about in the LSU game?

Auburn can run for 10-hundred-billion yards and pass for 13-thousand-trillion yards for the year but if they lose 4 games those stats are just numbers.

The "stat" we're all pulling for is no more than 2 Losses.  And preferably in games and that don't prevent them from winning the SEC.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting note about that: Ryan Davis shattered the single season record for receptions by an Auburn receiver last year; yet, he is not even in the top 10 for yards in a season. That tells us a little bit about the passes we were throwing. Like @NorthGATiger said, the WR screen was one of the 4 plays we ran. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Tigers_football_statistical_leaders#Receptions

Baby steps...  We are getting there!

12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I have researched it.  It is actually unreal at some of the stats we have.  For example I think the attempts per game passing and running are almost identical at home and on the road.  I think if you look we are actually around 27 passing attempts per game average and around 45 rushing attempts per game average last year.  I would need to go back and look.  Regardless of the number of each that is not what disappoints me.  It is the types of run plays and pass plays called and when they are called that bothers me.

I think we will see the offense continue to grow this year with Chip in his second year, kind of like what Steele has done.  Now that the base schemes are now set up, we can focus on expanding the route trees.  And now that we have a few TE's, I would also expect to see more usage with Shenker.  Another thing I think could get us more optimistic is both Malzahn and Stidham have both said that this year Stidham will have the ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage.

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn can run for 10-hundred-billion yards and pass for 13-thousand-trillion yards for the year but if they lose 4 games those stats are just numbers.

The "stat" we're all pulling for is no more than 2 Losses.  And preferably in games and that don't prevent them from winning the SEC.

I agree to an extent.  Just like you could use LSU as a bad gameplan, you could also use Alabama as a good gameplan.  And two of the losses last year were due to our injuries really hitting us hard.  There is not much you can do when that happens.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

In our 4 losses last season, we averaged 15.75 points per. Take away the bowl game, which of course occurred after we'd already lost the SECCG and missed the playoffs, and that point total drops to 12 per loss. 

Total yards per loss were 287.75 and 243.33. 

So, against Clemson, LSU and in the SECCG- 3 of the 5 most important games of the season- we averaged less than 2 touchdowns (including defense and special teams) and 250 yards of total offense. That's pretty bad. 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I agree to an extent.  Just like you could use LSU as a bad gameplan, you could also use Alabama as a good gameplan.  And two of the losses last year were due to our injuries really hitting us hard.  There is not much you can do when that happens.

Kam Martin got 4 carries in the SECCG.

I wonder how often we ran on first down, especially on first downs other than the initial first down in an offensive series.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Most of us are not dismissing the Alabama game, trust me.  Matter of fact, that game + Gus' bulldawg attitude in thUga 1.0 (pun intended) only proves more that he has it in him, making the way they lose so much more frustrating.

Besides LSU, Clemson was poor preparation and gameplanning, and thUga 2.0 was poor gameplanning when you consider he put all his eggs into a one-arm running back who shouldn't even have dressed with no plan B.  True, injuries happen but thUga and bammer seem to have no problem utilizing back up running backs successfully.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kam Martin got 4 carries in the SECCG.

Correct.  But, in the plays he was to pass protect, he has trouble, which is why he did not play as often.  I forget who it was in that game on Georgia, but he blew right by Kam.  Hopefully this year with more muscle added, Kam can be exactly what we know he can be.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Most of us are not dismissing the Alabama game, trust me.  Matter of fact, that game + Gus' bulldawg attitude in thUga 1.0 (pun intended) only proves more that he has it in him, making the way they lose so much more frustrating.

Besides LSU, Clemson was poor preparation and gameplanning, and thUga 2.0 was poor gameplanning when you consider he put all his eggs into a one-arm running back who shouldn't even have dressed with no plan B.  True, injuries happen but thUga and bammer seem to have no problem utilizing back up running backs successfully.

Agree with what you said, although with the SECCG, remember we had other injuries as well (Carlton Davis, Tre Williams, Tray Matthews, Casey Dunn, etc.).  There were game plan mistakes, not ignoring that at all.  But like in my response to NorthGA, I suspect we will see progression to continue this year with Chip in his second year, more TE's on the roster, and Stidham having the ability to change plays at the line (on first down for example).

27 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Agree with what you said, although with the SECCG, remember we had other injuries as well (Carlton Davis, Tre Williams, Tray Matthews, Casey Dunn, etc.).  There were game plan mistakes, not ignoring that at all.  But like in my response to NorthGA, I suspect we will see progression to continue this year with Chip in his second year, more TE's on the roster, and Stidham having the ability to change plays at the line (on first down for example).

I agree, Auburn was contending with other injuries.... everyone does that time of year.  And yet, they were still in the game going into the fourth.  

To me, this proves:

A. Auburn was actually the superior team on the field.

B. Simply giving a healthy (and fresh) RB some carries would probably have paid huge dividends vs what KJ was doing in his condition.

With that said, I will (yet again) give Gus the benefit of the doubt and hope that you are right about CCL, the TE situation, and Stidham's new-found freedom.

War Eagle.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Correct.  But, in the plays he was to pass protect, he has trouble, which is why he did not play as often.  I forget who it was in that game on Georgia, but he blew right by Kam.  

Which goes back to our 4-play offense. When what you want to do isn't working, you do something else. We opted not to, just like in the LSU game. It's a pattern and a problem until it's not.

But like in my response to NorthGA, I suspect we will see progression to continue this year with Chip in his second year, more TE's on the roster, and Stidham having the ability to change plays at the line (on first down for example).

Totally agree with you here. Wish we could have mixed it up more last season but better late than never. And you're right, TE ("big slot") personnel was an issue. We got Cannella the ball and he didn't want to hold onto it. Most of our offensive linemen would've caught some of those balls. That might not have shown up on film or in practice. Anyway, he pretty much forced the staff to scrap one piece of the offense. 

Everybody should keep in mind you don't go from rookie HC to elite HC in 6 years. We have a long way to go for Gus to become a great coach. But this is what we signed up for when we hired a guy with 1 year of HC experience under his belt.

Luckily for us, we are so talented (big time props to Gus on this) that we only need to eliminate the inexplicably bad tendencies Gus has to become a true national power. Just stop with the amateur hour BS and he will feel a lot less heat on his neck from the fans.

Also, another point for Gus is that he has shown flashes of being the man, especially last year when we were at full strength. He seemingly does learn from his mistakes he just sometimes needs to make them repeatedly before actually learning not to do it again. It's growth. He has a lot more to do, but he has also grown some over his tenure here at AU. He's on the right track, it just seems frustrating that we are having to endure a guy with the most talented roster in my lifetime learn on the job at a place like AU. Averaging 4 losses a year is pretty alarming though...

2 hours ago, LeonardAU said:

Well, hopefully they don't have time to turn into a national power between now and 2020 like Clemson and Washington did after we scheduled them for future dates. 

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I wonder if the Alabama folks use the injury excuse for their bad game vs Auburn in last year's Iron Bowl?  Injuries to their lb corps hit them pretty hard by the end of the regular season.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Everybody should keep in mind you don't go from rookie HC to elite HC in 6 years. We have a long way to go for Gus to become a great coach. But this is what we signed up for when we hired a guy with 1 year of HC experience under his belt.

Luckily for us, we are so talented (big time props to Gus on this) that we only need to eliminate the inexplicably bad tendencies Gus has to become a true national power. Just stop with the amateur hour BS and he will feel a lot less heat on his neck from the fans.

Also, another point for Gus is that he has shown flashes of being the man, especially last year when we were at full strength. He seemingly does learn from his mistakes he just sometimes needs to make them repeatedly before actually learning not to do it again. It's growth. He has a lot more to do, but he has also grown some over his tenure here at AU. He's on the right track, it just seems frustrating that we are having to endure a guy with the most talented roster in my lifetime learn on the job at a place like AU. Averaging 4 losses a year is pretty alarming though...

Averaging 4 losses a year and zero bowl wins while pulling in an elite salary will not go far, even at a place like Auburn.  His tendencies to crap the bed a couple of games a year, his stubborn as a goat ways of managing his dang roster rotation, and his bone-headed play-calling coupled with a piss poor ability to make crucial in-game adjustments will only be tolerated at his current pay scale for so long before it's off with his head.

Now I personally don't feel at this time that AU can do any better at the HC position  That may not always be the case though, especially with old Goober gone from the AD position.

Once other coaches see the talent level, recruiting ability, facility upgrades, fan support, and financial backing this program has with a top shelf AD in charge who has a bright and innovative personality,  Auburn could finally be an attractive destination for a top flight HC.  

Bottom line, Gus has the necessary tools, resources, and weapons to put Auburn in the CFP this year.  GET IT DONE because the excuses are wearing thin.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Averaging 4 losses a year and zero bowl wins while pulling in an elite salary will not go far, even at a place like Auburn.  His tendencies to crap the bed a couple of games a year, his stubborn as a goat ways of managing his dang roster rotation, and his bone-headed play-calling coupled with a piss poor ability to make crucial in-game adjustments will only be tolerated at his current pay scale for so long before it's off with his head.

Now I personally don't feel at this time that AU can do any better at the HC position  That may not always be the case though, especially with old Goober gone from the AD position.

Once other coaches see the talent level, recruiting ability, facility upgrades, fan support, and financial backing this program has with a top shelf AD in charge who has a bright and innovative personality,  Auburn could finally be an attractive destination for a top flight HC.  

Bottom line, Gus has the necessary tools, resources, and weapons to put Auburn in the CFP this year.  GET IT DONE because the excuses are wearing thin.

Oh you already know we are on the same page, Kees. I'm with you 100%, I'm just thinking at this point we have basically tied ourselves to Gus' growth because we hired a guy in the infant stage of his career. 

Now if he continues to shart himself during games, I'm glad we have an AD who's first call won't be to Rhett Lashlee nor has an emotional attachment to Gus as his extension was inked before AD Greene got here.

But you're right, 4 losses per year is unacceptable -- especially when paying for top tier results. And save me this crap about the market value - the market value for a 4 loss/season coach is not $7M/year. We could  pay someone else half the money we're paying Gus if we want to just hover around 8-4 each year with a better record once every 4 years. 

Unfortunately ( or fortunately if you are a Gus hater  ? ) Gus has brought on himself the doubts about his ability to Coach.  His inexplicable play calling at times or team management has brought doubts of sanity! But then we see and remember that genius he is/was known for and we have hope! ( some ,anyway)   In all that you have to account for the bad luck of injuries in key areas at the most inopportune times....  Caused again --we say-- by bad management and play calling!!  Still he has two undefeated seasons basically to his credit.  Claim whatever, but it took coaching for it all to happen.   NOW CAN HE GET PAST GUS TO BE THE COACH WE ALL NEED HIM TO BE?  Gus has the ability.  He has been compared to Saban for his approach to the game.   We will see this year.  Stability is occurring somewhat.  The OL will be the telling story.  I think that 10 win you guys are looking for will happen-- because Gus decided to be a Head coach

Archived