could be easiest home slate in years

2 hours ago, keesler said:

I wonder if the Alabama folks use the injury excuse for their bad game vs Auburn in last year's Iron Bowl?  Injuries to their lb corps hit them pretty hard by the end of the regular season.

They could, although our injuries were vastly deeper than to one position group.  We were hit in our linebackers, cornerbacks, running backs, offensive linemen, quarterbacks, and safties.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, keesler said:

I wonder if the Alabama folks use the injury excuse for their bad game vs Auburn in last year's Iron Bowl?  Injuries to their lb corps hit them pretty hard by the end of the regular season.

Some commenters on SDS have done exactly that. One in particular sounded like he was drunk, or maybe it was hate masquerading as drunkenness. Who cares what they think anyway.

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Congrats on spitting out a non-smartass post. Out of your 116, I've only read 4 posts and I was starting to think you only had one speed. 

Congrats on having the ability to read a post smartass

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

Congrats on having the ability to read a post smartass

Always good to differentiate the exception from the rule early. Saves a lot of time.

I'm confident you'll have a long and enjoyable experience here.

17 hours ago, keesler said:

Yes. I’ve heard that excuse too many times whenever the Iron Bowl is brought up. Kindve hypocritical on their part. They are the same ones that brag about their stacked rosters and “next man up” mentality.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. I’ve heard heard that excuse too many times whenever the Iron Bowl is brought up. Kindve hypocritical on their part. They are the same ones that brag about their stacked rosters and “next man up” mentality.

Or when Alabama does not recognize UCF's "national championship," but expects the rest of the world recognize their "17 national championships."  Fun fact, Alabama only recognized that they only had 1 championship until 1982.  That is when they piled on these others.

15 hours ago, lost said:

Unfortunately ( or fortunately if you are a Gus hater  ? ) Gus has brought on himself the doubts about his ability to Coach.  His inexplicable play calling at times or team management has brought doubts of sanity! But then we see and remember that genius he is/was known for and we have hope! ( some ,anyway)   In all that you have to account for the bad luck of injuries in key areas at the most inopportune times....  Caused again --we say-- by bad management and play calling!!  Still he has two undefeated seasons basically to his credit.  Claim whatever, but it took coaching for it all to happen.   NOW CAN HE GET PAST GUS TO BE THE COACH WE ALL NEED HIM TO BE?  Gus has the ability.  He has been compared to Saban for his approach to the game.   We will see this year.  Stability is occurring somewhat.  The OL will be the telling story.  I think that 10 win you guys are looking for will happen-- because Gus decided to be a Head coach

It's all on CGM to change the narrative, remove the doubt, and prove he can be a great HC at this level.  

Where you state that he has been compared to Saban for his approach to the game is a little fuzzy to me.  IMO, there is very little similarity between CGM & CNS and how they operate their programs, develop their talent, develop and prepare their Coordinators and Asst coaches, and how they game-plan and approach their opponents each week.  

I've witnessed too many of Gus' teams get on the field and look lost/unprepared, I've seen poor communication from sideline to the field on many occasions as well.  Numerous times I've felt there were opportunities for "in-game" adjustments on both offense and/or defense and none were made, some of those adjustments really hinged on a W or L.  

At the end of the day CGM is a good coach.  The problem is we fans see some of our most hated rivals hoist the hardware over and over and over and over again,  and we realize Auburn needs a great coach to reach those goals.

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

Where you state that he has been compared to Saban for his approach to the game is a little fuzzy to me. 

I was wondering about that myself. And, if you know what saban's philosophy is and then watch how we have played over the last 2 seasons, then you'll know that even if Gus pays lip service to similar guiding principles- I have no idea if he does- he doesn't actually practice them. Clemson 2016 and LSU 2017 are the most glaring examples (from the last 2 years). Crystal clear that Gus was focused more on the opponent and the scoreboard than on enabling his players to execute the offense they've practiced, which is the exact opposite of saban's "process". 

I don't think it's necessary for Gus to operate his program exactly the same way Saban does. Auburn has a completely different culture, both behind the scenes, with the players, and among the fans and campus. It wouldn't work the same way. Gus can be very successful at Auburn, just as any coach worth his salt can be very successful at Auburn. The resources to succeed are there. Consider that every Auburn coach since Pat Dye (excluding interim Bill Oliver) has either gone undefeated, won an SEC championship, or both in their tenures (Tubs and Chiz). Alabama is similar in that every coach since the Bahr has won at least 10 games at least once in their time as coach. Auburn and Alabama are both top tier programs that are more than capable of some sustained success. It's all about tapping into that gold mine and making it produce consistently. Saban has done that at Alabama. Gus seems to be knocking on the door of that mine and occasionally catching glimpses of the shiny stuff behind it but can't quite seem to open it up fully. Of the current coaches in the SEC, Malzahn, Smart, and potentially Fisher are the only ones that look currently capable of doing just that.

I honestly think Gus has to learn how to balance his duties and become a better head coach. He knows what it takes to win but, as has been said before ad nauseum, he needs to get out of his own way sometimes and grow as a coach. That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Saban - I don't think he is or can be. But I do think that he can do well enough to get Auburn to some previously unseen heights of success, such as back to back 10+ win seasons, another SEC Championship or two, playoff appearances and hopefully another NC, etc. Things seem to slowly be trending up for this program both in terms of on-field success and talent increase. Malzahn is good enough to exploit that against the equal or lesser teams, and be competitive against the better teams. I'm cautiously optimistic now that he has his new contract and some job security that the pressure will be off and he'll be free to open things up like he did in 2013/2014 and let his QB and OC have some more autonomy.

I hope . . . .

19 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I don't think it's necessary for Gus to operate his program exactly the same way Saban does.

Nor do I. But after seeing the way we've lost games these past 2 seasons, there are 2 things that saban preaches that would have won us more games, or at least allowed us to lose in a less embarrassing fashion, without in any way compromising our culture. First is to trust the game plan and preparation and focus on executing the next play to the best of your ability. We didn't do that against Clemson in 2016 and we didn't do that in the 2nd half of the LSU game this past season, just as easy examples. Second is to be able to adjust and adapt. I'm not sure we saw Gus do this at any point in 2017. 

He can do those things while still maintaining the culture that he has fostered at Auburn, which I completely agree is distinct and good and worth preserving.

19 minutes ago, lca408 said:

That doesn't mean he'll be as good as Saban - I don't think he is or can be. But I do think that he can do well enough to get Auburn to some previously unseen heights of success, such as back to back 10+ win seasons, another SEC Championship or two, playoff appearances and hopefully another NC, etc. Things seem to slowly be trending up for this program both in terms of on-field success and talent increase. Malzahn is good enough to exploit that against the equal or lesser teams, and be competitive against the better teams.

This!

What i have heard ( and i am by no means an insider)... is that Gus has the same confidence and approach that Saban has -- without the success.  I have heard some say that though Gus comes off at times as goofy, his players has utmost confidence ---in his confidence.  Again, he has not the success of Saban so it looks silly to issue the non comments or the same ol, same ol ...  but many have said that they remind them of saban with his confidence and coaching style.

10 minutes ago, lost said:

What i have heard ( and i am by no means an insider)... is that Gus has the same confidence and approach that Saban has -- without the success.  I have heard some say that though Gus comes off at times as goofy, his players has utmost confidence ---in his confidence.  Again, he has not the success of Saban so it looks silly to issue the non comments or the same ol, same ol ...  but many have said that they remind them of saban with his confidence and coaching style.

His ability to hold the locker room is very impressive. I think maybe he does a lot of that work up front with the types of guys he hires and recruits, which is no less impressive. 

To me the thing Gus has lacked with his program is stability and identity.  Hard to put a finger on one thing to cause this as injuries has plagued him at the most inopportune times.  But as mentioned above and in other threads i think trusting his own "Process" has been his failure probably.  Panic has been seen by play calling and personnel put on the field . But also unwillingness to deviate from a path ( like the man i compared him to was willing to and it won him a NC)  and listen to those he has surrounded himself with---  also has contributed to the lack of stability.   Stubbornness can be a curse OR a blessing

Gus' issue is "too many cooks in the kitchen"....in his head.

He has every single ingredient available to make the perfect macaroni and cheese.  Macaroni, milk, cream, cheese...

However, he also has ridiculous ingredients and he often adds them.  Crickets, screwdrivers, old dictionaries...

If he'll stay in the pantry and out of the creepy old storage shed, he would coach Auburn to heights even CPD couldn't reach....and I believe that.

49 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He has every single ingredient available to make the perfect macaroni and cheese.  Macaroni, milk, cream, cheese...

However, he also has ridiculous ingredients and he often adds them.  Crickets, screwdrivers, old dictionaries...

If he'll stay in the pantry and out of the creepy old storage shed, he would coach Auburn to heights even CPD couldn't reach....and I believe that.

I don't want crickets in my mac'n'chee :(

On 7/11/2018 at 12:12 PM, keesler said:

There is a disconnect somewhere, as my response to AU64's post had very little to do with the losses of other teams.

AU64 posted, "the folks that like to thump on Gus need to get a better story line than his "bad losses."  He then proceeded to list a group of teams with losses during the '17 season as examples of "bad losses."  

My response was simple, only Gus can change the story line and when he finds a way to stop averaging 4 losses a year he may be able to have his team in the playoffs like CU/UAT/UGA/OK/OSU have done during the playoff era. 

People won't feel the need to thump on Gus if he'll pick up the pace, stop the idiotic/head scratching game plans and in-game decisions that result in inexplicable losses every year, and just win a dang bowl game for crying out loud.

THIS!

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

You forgot toe jam

On 7/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, lost said:

Confidence? Sure

Coaching style? Who are these many who have said that? 

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Confidence? Sure

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.  As long as Malzahn has been here, I've never ONCE heard that comparison.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

Confidence? Sure

Rodney Garner was one in a Fox News Sports article.  He said he was tough like saban and competitive like him and reminded him of saban in his coaching style.

Just now, lost said:

Rodney Garner was one in a Fox News Sports article.  He said he was tough like saban and competitive like him and reminded him of saban in his coaching style.

Well I would never want to disparage CRG, but I imagine he is in the minority of this opinion. The way these guys approach the game is vastly different and you can see it in the way they run their organization, the preparation of their players, etc. I am not downplaying CGM ability as a HC. I just don’t see how someone can honestly say Gus is comparable to NS coaching style. And it isn’t about results. The way these two carry themselves , interact with players and coaches alike is completely different.

On 7/13/2018 at 10:23 AM, AUsince72 said:

Too many screwdrivers can definitely cloud your judgement. 

On 7/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, lost said:

The only time Saban really gets in his own way is against Gus though. You rarely see him just make outright bad decisions. Now ofc, that could just be from out-talenting most teams, but either way, he rides his philosophy out until it doesn’t work then changes. If Gus had the ability, we’d at least have 2 playoff appearances and MAYBE a ranked bowl win in the past 5 years 

Let's just win 15 games and be done with it for the 2018 season!

Archived