SEC records since expansion

GwillMac6

Thought this was pretty interesting as a Off Season topic. Also 2012 REALLY pulls us down. Take that out and we have a pretty dang good record in that timespan. 

e.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprising that 4 of the bottom 5 are teams from the East. Auburn sitting amongst the Mississippi schools, USCe and Missouri is something I wish I could unsee. 2012 was an anomaly for us but sitting 5th in the league behind those top teams is pretty much our history. They're good teams with a good history themselves. Got to change this. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thought this was pretty interesting as a Off Season topic. Also 2012 REALLY pulls us down. Take that out and we have a pretty dang good record in that timespan. 

e.jpg

My, have times have changed. Imagine any 5 or 6 year period from the 80s or 90s where AU would have been on par with MSU, or UT with Vandy. Need to start writing a new and better chapter. 

If you just use the Gus Malzahn years (2013 till now) we are 25-15. That one horrible year with Chizik killed our SEC record since the merge.

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not surprising that 4 of the bottom 5 are teams from the East. Auburn sitting amongst the Mississippi schools, USCe and Missouri is something I wish I could unsee. 2012 was an anomaly for us but sitting 5th in the league behind those top teams is pretty much our history. They're good teams with a good history themselves. Got to change this. 

We def have been a lot better than florida since 2012 though. If we would of played them head to head any of those years besides 2012 we would of thumped them. They took advantage more than anyone from playing in the east these years. Their records are the most inflated because of it. Those def were average to just pretty good teams at best. But the thing is those teams above us are really good teams with good history but we have ourselves to blame more than anyone for this record. We gave away so many games in this time period.

^They would've beaten us in 2015.

Use only GM's tenure (and therefore no 2012) it looks something like this:

Alabama: 36-4

Georgia: 27-13

LSU: 25-15

Auburn: 25-15

Florida: 23-17

Missouri: 21-19

MSU: 20-20

Mississippi: 19-21

Texas A&M: 19-21

South Carolina: 18-22

Tennessee: 14-26

Kentucky: 12-28

Arkansas: 11-29

Vanderbilt: 10-30

Well unfortunately we can’t just take out 2012 otherwise what was the point of including *since expansion* ? Lol 

2013 forward , only AU & Ole Miss have beaten UAT; 2 times each.  Let that sink in.....  That makes all of the Gus hate a bit perplexing.

37 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

2013 forward , only AU & Ole Miss have beaten UAT; 2 times each.  Let that sink in.....  That makes all of the Gus hate a bit perplexing.

Oh, there is plenty of ammunition for Gus hate as you call it. Let's just say Gus apprehension in my personal case. For every 2017 GA, and AL, he pulls multiple Clemsons, and SEC championships,  and Peach bowls.

7 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Oh, there is plenty of ammunition for Gus hate as you call it. Let's just say Gus apprehension in my personal case. For every 2017 GA, and AL, he pulls multiple Clemsons, and SEC championships,  and Peach bowls.

I’m sure there are several fan bases in the SEC that would like to complain about their coaches performance in the SEC title. 

35 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I’m sure there are several fan bases in the SEC that would like to complain about their coaches performance in the SEC title. 

I am sure Arkansas , Mississippi State , Missouri , Kentucky would love to have the resources that Auburn has too.

To much is given, much is expected . He earned his pay raise . Now he will have to endure lofty expectations.

And about Clemson ?....do I recall they were in the national championship game twice recently?     Granted they were not Gus's best hour...but also they were not Missouri or Arkansas either....

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And about Clemson ?....do I recall they were in the national championship game twice recently?     Granted they were not Gus's best hour...but also they were not Missouri or Arkansas either....

Guess we might as well consider them SEC?

They're 10-5 vs the SEC since 2012 and AU is oh fer 3 against them...

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Use only GM's tenure (and therefore no 2012) it looks something like this:

Alabama: 36-4

Georgia: 27-13

LSU: 25-15

Auburn: 25-15

Florida: 23-17

Interesting to see UF has virtually the same record as AU during Gus' tenure and they're on their 3rd head coach (not counting the two interims) while Gus has received an incredible raise.

I know the Ol Ball Coach spoiled them but....Huh?  There's a disconnect somewhere between the expectations of these two programs, I'd say.  Wow!

The University of Tennessee... tied with Vanderbilt... for 3rd-worst team in the Southeastern Conference... over a 6-year period. That is just nuts. 

Oh, and it's super awesome that Gus has beaten bama twice. In that period, he's 2-3 against them, 2-4 against uga (including a coaching change at uga), 2-3 against LSU (including a coaching change at LSU), 0-2 against Clemson, 1-1 in SECCGs and 1-4 in bowl games. In other words, when Gus "circles a game", he's 8-15, or loses almost twice as many as he wins. (One of those SECCGs is included in his record against uga.)

He's averaged 5 losses a season for the last 4 seasons. He went to overtime with Jacksonville State. He orchestrated historically bad, downright embarrassing offensive performances against Clemson two years in a row and blew a 20-point lead to a mediocre LSU team with one of the same teams that he beat bama with. 

"Y'all" keep bringing up his handful of big wins and meaningless conference stats as reason to mock "us"- the "whiners", the "armchair coaches", the "message board experts", the "puzzling haters"- and "we" will have to keep responding, even though most of us have already said that we're glad he's still the coach and want to see him succeed at the level we know he's capable of. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:50 PM, GwillMac6 said:

e.jpg

This is somewhat disappointing.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is somewhat disappointing.

Buddy, that made me LOL...

Love the understated approach.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The University of Tennessee... tied with Vanderbilt... for 3rd-worst team in the Southeastern Conference... over a 6-year period. That is just nuts. 

Oh, and it's super awesome that Gus has beaten bama twice. In that period, he's 2-3 against them, 2-4 against uga (including a coaching change at uga), 2-3 against LSU (including a coaching change at LSU), 0-2 against Clemson, 1-1 in SECCGs and 1-4 in bowl games. In other words, when Gus "circles a game", he's 8-15, or loses almost twice as many as he wins. (One of those SECCGs is included in his record against uga.)

He's averaged 5 losses a season for the last 4 seasons. He went to overtime with Jacksonville State. He orchestrated historically bad, downright embarrassing offensive performances against Clemson two years in a row and blew a 20-point lead to a mediocre LSU team with one of the same teams that he beat bama with. 

"Y'all" keep bringing up his handful of big wins and meaningless conference stats as reason to mock "us"- the "whiners", the "armchair coaches", the "message board experts", the "puzzling haters"- and "we" will have to keep responding, even though most of us have already said that we're glad he's still the coach and want to see him succeed at the level we know he's capable of. 

It is what it is McLoof, Auburn can't do better than CGM right now.  All a fan can do is hope for the better days ahead, because he is here for a long while.

Just now, keesler said:

It is what it is McLoof, Auburn can't do better than CGM right now.  All a fan can do is hope for the better days ahead, because he is here for a long while.

And I'm totally good with that! I was really happy when his contract got nailed down. I know I speak for at least a couple others when I say that the most frustrating thing about Gus is that we know that he has the stuff to be better.

The stats seem to confirm what many people say.....the SEC is, and has been out of balance for quite a while....with 8 teams having a .500 or worse record and gotta wonder if it's gonna change anytime soon.    

Of the bottom 8, which one(s) is likely to win half or more of their conference games this season?   I'm thinking none of them...but perhaps USCe could pull it off. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know I speak for at least a couple others when I say that the most frustrating thing about Gus is that we know that he has the stuff to be better.

:wavey:

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The stats seem to confirm what many people say.....the SEC is, and has been out of balance for quite a while....with 8 teams having a .500 or worse record and gotta wonder if it's gonna change anytime soon.    

Of the bottom 8, which one(s) is likely to win half or more of their conference games this season?   I'm thinking none of them...but perhaps USCe could pull it off. 

I'd like to see USCe become relevant myself.  I like Boom and I like their fans.  Buddy of mine is from the area and he's taken me to a couple games (Lou Holtz days) and for a program that has really no tradition (compared to the bammers and Auburns and UTs of the world, etc), they are a rabid and knowledgeable fan base.

However, is he really much better than at UF?  Has he discovered that you do need a good QB and solid offense in the 21st century?  Those are the questions...

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And 3 of the other 6 have gotten significantly worse and changed coaches in that span. LSU, TAMU and UF are all propped up by their 2012 records and finished in the top 15 that year. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Interesting to see UF has virtually the same record as AU during Gus' tenure and they're on their 3rd head coach (not counting the two interims) while Gus has received an incredible raise.

I know the Ol Ball Coach spoiled them but....Huh?  There's a disconnect somewhere between the expectations of these two programs, I'd say.  Wow!

East vs West

Archived