4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

East vs West

Fair enough ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Fair enough ?

I mean to have all those losses against the paltry east is pretty bad.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I mean to have all those losses against the paltry east is pretty bad.

I agree and that does make sense. 

Gus' demons have been the #butgus moments.

UF head coach demons have been the #butyou'reintheseceast moments.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree and that does make sense. 

Gus' demons have been the #butgus moments.

UF head coach demons have been the #butyou'reintheseceast moments.

And the bottom teams in the East got there mostly playing against other East Div teams which makes them appear even worse. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The University of Tennessee... tied with Vanderbilt... for 3rd-worst team in the Southeastern Conference... over a 6-year period. That is just nuts. 

Oh, and it's super awesome that Gus has beaten bama twice. In that period, he's 2-3 against them, 2-4 against uga (including a coaching change at uga), 2-3 against LSU (including a coaching change at LSU), 0-2 against Clemson, 1-1 in SECCGs and 1-4 in bowl games. In other words, when Gus "circles a game", he's 8-15, or loses almost twice as many as he wins. (One of those SECCGs is included in his record against uga.)

He's averaged 5 losses a season for the last 4 seasons. He went to overtime with Jacksonville State. He orchestrated historically bad, downright embarrassing offensive performances against Clemson two years in a row and blew a 20-point lead to a mediocre LSU team with one of the same teams that he beat bama with. 

"Y'all" keep bringing up his handful of big wins and meaningless conference stats as reason to mock "us"- the "whiners", the "armchair coaches", the "message board experts", the "puzzling haters"- and "we" will have to keep responding, even though most of us have already said that we're glad he's still the coach and want to see him succeed at the level we know he's capable of. 

That makes my football brain hurt.

FF17C2F3-2697-4704-8B48-AD1636538D1E.gif

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I am sure Arkansas , Mississippi State , Missouri , Kentucky would love to have the resources that Auburn has too.

To much is given, much is expected . He earned his pay raise . Now he will have to endure lofty expectations.

I was mainly joking regarding SEC champs. 

I agree though, once you get that big boy contract, you got what you want and you bought yourself increased expectations. It’s year 6 for him and the team is loaded with weapons. Let’s put it all together pllleeeasssseeee!!!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The University of Tennessee... tied with Vanderbilt... for 3rd-worst team in the Southeastern Conference... over a 6-year period. That is just nuts. 

Oh, and it's super awesome that Gus has beaten bama twice. In that period, he's 2-3 against them, 2-4 against uga (including a coaching change at uga), 2-3 against LSU (including a coaching change at LSU), 0-2 against Clemson, 1-1 in SECCGs and 1-4 in bowl games. In other words, when Gus "circles a game", he's 8-15, or loses almost twice as many as he wins. (One of those SECCGs is included in his record against uga.)

He's averaged 5 losses a season for the last 4 seasons. He went to overtime with Jacksonville State. He orchestrated historically bad, downright embarrassing offensive performances against Clemson two years in a row and blew a 20-point lead to a mediocre LSU team with one of the same teams that he beat bama with. 

"Y'all" keep bringing up his handful of big wins and meaningless conference stats as reason to mock "us"- the "whiners", the "armchair coaches", the "message board experts", the "puzzling haters"- and "we" will have to keep responding, even though most of us have already said that we're glad he's still the coach and want to see him succeed at the level we know he's capable of. 

My thing is that I think most of us really sit on the tipping point and don’t know what to think. There are so many valid excuses to use to defend some of the issues he’s had over his time here. There are also some bounces he had go his way to get some of the big wins we’ve had. 

What we have now though is a guy who at his best, can beat some of the best teams out there by 2 scores and at his worst goes into OT with an FCS school. However, he put together an impressive 2017 to get himself his contract before the bottom fell out in our last two games. 

I think both sides can agree that Gus has clearly put himself into a no excuses contract and has to produce. While many will debate as to what the expectations are or should be, i for one atleast wanna see a back to back 10 win seasons in my life time lol. This 2018 squad has the firepower and defensive fortitude to do it. We are st the mercy of Malzahn and Grimes magic for it to happen. Can’t forget the injury gods as well.

14 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think both sides can agree that Gus has clearly put himself into a no excuses contract and has to produce. While many will debate as to what the expectations are or should be, i for one atleast wanna see a back to back 10 win seasons in my life time lol. This 2018 squad has the firepower and defensive fortitude to do it. We are st the mercy of Malzahn and Grimes magic for it to happen. Can’t forget the injury gods as well.

There will ALWAYS be excuses, no matter what happens.  You even mentioned the "injury gods" in your last sentence relative to the upcoming season.  :lol:

The man's been at the helm long enough to have every tool he needs to get this team to back-to-back 10 win seasons this year.  There's plenty of depth, plenty of talent, and plenty of experienced/seasoned coaches on this staff to where injuries should not derail that goal.  It's time to get it done! 

It’ll be interesting to see this list in another 5 years.  Most good SEC coaches in the modern day make it about 10 years before their magic wears off, see Tubs, Richt, Fulmer etc.  in the West Gus is halfway through that time span and Saban just passed it.  Jimbo is just getting started and could make it awhile.  Coach O may have 1 more season, Matt Luke is doing admirably but probably has 1-2 seasons max.  Who knows at Arky and MSU.  In the East Smart, Mullen, Muschamp, and Pruitt are 1-3 years in along with Missouri’s coach.  UK and Vandy have established head coaches but probably won’t make a lot of headway.

I could see the East becoming dominant with UGA and UF leading the way and USCe and UT being formidable each year.  The West could see some upheaval with Sabans eventual retirement, LSU’s coaching situation, and Gus’s up and down big game performance.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

It’ll be interesting to see this list in another 5 years.  Most good SEC coaches in the modern day make it about 10 years before their magic wears off, see Tubs, Richt, Fulmer etc.  in the West Gus is halfway through that time span and Saban just passed it.  Jimbo is just getting started and could make it awhile.  Coach O may have 1 more season, Matt Luke is doing admirably but probably has 1-2 seasons max.  Who knows at Arky and MSU.  In the East Smart, Mullen, Muschamp, and Pruitt are 1-3 years in along with Missouri’s coach.  UK and Vandy have established head coaches but probably won’t make a lot of headway.

I could see the East becoming dominant with UGA and UF leading the way and USCe and UT being formidable each year.  The West could see some upheaval with Sabans eventual retirement, LSU’s coaching situation, and Gus’s up and down big game performance.

This conference will always be in a constant flux - with 14 teams it's inevitable.  It's hard to remember in the last 2 dozen yrs how many seasons the entire conference retained the same HC's in back to back years?  

3 hours ago, keesler said:

There will ALWAYS be excuses, no matter what happens.  You even mentioned the "injury gods" in your last sentence relative to the upcoming season.  :lol:

The man's been at the helm long enough to have every tool he needs to get this team to back-to-back 10 win seasons this year.  There's plenty of depth, plenty of talent, and plenty of experienced/seasoned coaches on this staff to where injuries should not derail that goal.  It's time to get it done! 

I mean it is one thing to have a bust QB, but in 2015&2016 we had to face Alabama and UGA without a healthy Sean White which put JJ back out there. Not only that, but our RB situation was abysmal too. 2013 and 2014 would’ve been worse had Marshall got seriously hurt or we lost Mason/Cap. 

Now the counter point to that is that is that we don’t rotate our backs very well which I agree is a big time issue. I also have an issue with how we recruit certain running backs despite our wish to have a 30 carry/game back. Those are ultimately Malzahn decisions which have/will come back to haunt us if we are unlucky with injuries. 

I wish we would dive in for a JUCO RB every other year to get a seasoned 215-225 lb back that’s a decent all around back. Just to bolster our depth. 

Now to your point about having the tools and everything this year, I agree but our biggest limiter will be our OL which could quickly negate EVERY weapon we have. While I think we will have some evolution on offense, we are still a power run play action team that thrives via tempo and explosive plays. New RBs and a young/thin/inexperienced OL isn’t easing my stomach haha. I am hoping that JB Grimes is the right guy for the job. 

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I mean it is one thing to have a bust QB, but in 2015&2016 we had to face Alabama and UGA without a healthy Sean White which put JJ back out there. Not only that, but our RB situation was abysmal too. 2013 and 2014 would’ve been worse had Marshall got seriously hurt or we lost Mason/Cap. 

Now the counter point to that is that is that we don’t rotate our backs very well which I agree is a big time issue. I also have an issue with how we recruit certain running backs despite our wish to have a 30 carry/game back. Those are ultimately Malzahn decisions which have/will come back to haunt us if we are unlucky with injuries. 

I wish we would dive in for a JUCO RB every other year to get a seasoned 215-225 lb back that’s a decent all around back. Just to bolster our depth. 

Now to your point about having the tools and everything this year, I agree but our biggest limiter will be our OL which could quickly negate EVERY weapon we have. While I think we will have some evolution on offense, we are still a power run play action team that thrives via tempo and explosive plays. New RBs and a young/thin/inexperienced OL isn’t easing my stomach haha. I am hoping that JB Grimes is the right guy for the job. 

I mean we have more than enough RBs every year. We just need to learn to have contingency plans. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:50 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Thought this was pretty interesting as a Off Season topic. Also 2012 REALLY pulls us down. Take that out and we have a pretty dang good record in that timespan. 

e.jpg

who the heck put these in order?  why is TAMU listed 9th behind ark and the mississippi teams?   

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

who the heck put these in order?  why is TAMU listed 9th behind ark and the mississippi teams?   

Thought the same thing but I'm a sequence nut so I kept looking and figured that it's a bad paste job. After the top 4 teams then start at #5 Auburn and read that column down, then go to the next one and so on and they are in order from that point by reading columns down. Not sure why they listed the top 4 across. 

Dammit Gene. That 2012 was catastrophic. I hate seeing we are that close to the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, and Arky. I don't know what to think that TAMU has an identical record to us considering they fired Sumlin.

Our Gus era numbers are a lot better but right on par with underwhelming LSU. I'd feel better if we had UGA's record, and mainly because if we didn't crap the bed twice against them our records would be switched. I also understand our schedule is significantly tougher than theirs but we have been struggling against them head to head so the East schedule vs West schedule argument really holds no value

On 7/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, McLoofus said:

I know I speak for at least a couple others when I say that the most frustrating thing about Gus is that we know that he has the stuff to be better.

Regardless of where any of us may fall on the Gus debate, I think we can all agree on this statement!

We’ve seen flashes of brilliance mixed with moments of foolish insanity.  All we’re hoping for is consistent good coaching.  We can’t expect the brilliance every week.  But please, Gus, please avoid the sheer stupidity that we’ve gotten 2-3 times per season.  

On 7/6/2018 at 10:41 AM, Tiger said:

Dammit Gene. That 2012 was catastrophic. I hate seeing we are that close to the Mississippi schools, Mizzou, and Arky. I don't know what to think that TAMU has an identical record to us considering they fired us.

Our Gus era numbers are a lot better but right on par with underwhelming LSU. I'd feel better if we had UGA's record, and mainly because if we didn't crap the bed twice against them our records would be switched. I also understand our schedule is significantly tougher than theirs but we have been struggling against them head to head so the East schedule vs West schedule argument really holds no value

While Gus definitely should've done better (2014 TAMU, 2016 Georgia and 2017 LSU are for me the most angering), it is worth noting that 2012 is the reason why the records are identical, and we DID fire CGC then. Funny thing is that twice now has Gus won more SEC games then Sumlin did in his peak at TAMU.

15 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Regardless of where any of us may fall on the Gus debate, I think we can all agree on this statement!

We’ve seen flashes of brilliance mixed with moments of foolish insanity.  All we’re hoping for is consistent good coaching.  We can’t expect the brilliance every week.  But please, Gus, please avoid the sheer stupidity that we’ve gotten 2-3 times per season.  

Nope like I've said in the past every AU fan should just accept it. It WILL happen at some point this season. Every coach makes bad decisions but not on the astronomical level as Gustav. We've been blindly hoping for him to change every year. Do yourself a favor and be ready. I just hope it doesn't happen in the big games...More than likely it does.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:49 AM, BigWhiskey91 said:

I’m sure there are several fan bases in the SEC that would like to complain about their coaches performance in the SEC title. 

Not concerned with other fan bases. Only Auburn. I would gladly accept some consistency.

10 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I would gladly accept some consistency.

Something we haven’t had in a long time. I am waiting too my friend.

10 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:
20 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I would gladly accept some consistency.

Something we haven’t had in a long time. I am waiting too my friend.

Since this IS our beloved Auburn Tigers we're discussing we might want to clarify as well....

Some GOOD consistency!!

War Eagle.

44 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Since this IS our beloved Auburn Tigers we're discussing we might want to clarify as well....

Some GOOD consistency!!

War Eagle.

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:49 AM, AUsince72 said:

Interesting to see UF has virtually the same record as AU during Gus' tenure and they're on their 3rd head coach (not counting the two interims) while Gus has received an incredible raise.

I know the Ol Ball Coach spoiled them but....Huh?  There's a disconnect somewhere between the expectations of these two programs, I'd say.  Wow!

No comparison. The East was a damned mess.

Archived