2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

17 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Dude looks 40; we have a new Paw Paw now!

Paw Paw Atkinson has a challenger!

outstanding coverage mr ellitor. your hard work is not overlooked and i would put your forum up against anyone else's. i think a few of us do not realize all the time and hard work you put in. i hope the family gives you a raise. long may you run. and if i ever do a day trip to auburn i would love to buy ya a coffee or burger if it works out.

• Like 6

this article had a couple of tidbits that i probably overlooked so i thought i would post it. if it is a rehash please delete.

Commits to Auburn After 6 Years with Phillies | Bleacher Report

Scott Polacek

3-4 minutes

Photo Credit: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports

The Auburn Tigers landed a late addition to their 2018 recruiting class Monday. 

Cord Sandberg, who was a 4-star prospect and the No. 8 dual-threat quarterback in the 2013 class, per 247Sports’ composite rankings, announced his intentions to join the SEC program on Twitter:

Keith Niebuhr of 247Sports noted Sandberg was a member of the Philadelphia Phillies organization for six years, which delayed his entry into college football.

Sandberg also visited LSU, Auburn and North Carolina State, but Niebuhr pointed out the 23-year-old was given a full scholarship with the Tigers and was offered as a preferred walk-on at other programs.

However, Sandberg suggested the scholarship situation wasn’t the reason he chose Auburn, especially since the Phillies said they would cover his tuition if needed, per Niebuhr:

"When (Auburn coach Gus Malzahn) gave me a call maybe a month or so ago and said he would have interest in me, obviously the scholarship wasn't a deciding factor at all because if the best situation had been somewhere else that’s what I would have done. But when I talked to him and kind of knew playing quarterback at Auburn was a possibility, it was obviously something I grew up watching. The Iron Bowl is something pretty special and I grew up watching a lot of them. To have the opportunity to potentially play in one of those games and really all of the games that Auburn has a chance to play in and the venues the SEC has, it was definitely something that I knew was going to be tough to pass up. When I visited, (Sandberg and his fiance) were even more confident with the coaches and everything Auburn football is."

Sandberg previously committed to Mississippi State when he was a highly regarded high school recruit but ultimately chose baseball and the financial reward that came with it. He reached Double-A in the minor leagues but is now giving another shot to the gridiron at 23 years old.

While the NFL is an option at any time given he is three years removed from high school, he will have four years of eligibility at Auburn and will look to make his mark on a crowded quarterback room.

Jarrett Stidham, Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood are already on the roster, and playing time may be difficult to come by for Sandberg even if Stidham leaves for the NFL following the 2018 campaign.

Bo Nix is a 4-star prospect and the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the 2019 recruiting class, per 247Sports’ composite rankings, and is headed to Auburn for his collegiate career. He figures to be the signal-caller of the future while Stidham is the current answer, but Sandberg turned heads in his past on the football field as a recruit.

He will look to do so again in the SEC.

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

Could be number 2 by mid season if he learns the play book quickly in fall camp.

He’ll be number 2 midways through fall camp. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

If Stidham goes down, he’ll be a god-send. 

Great point. I've been going on and on about our depth chart next year but it's entirely possible we'd need him this year. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

If Stidham goes down, he’ll be a god-send. 

but how rusty is he? i wonder ow long it takes for him to get back into football shape?

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

but how rusty is he? i wonder ow long it takes for him to get back into football shape?

Weinke played minor league baseball in the Toronto Blue Jays farm system from 1990 to 1996, advancing to class Triple-A, before deciding to attend Florida State University. Head coach Bobby Bowden had initially recruited Weinke when he was a prep quarterback in 1989 at Cretin-Derham Hall High School. After quitting baseball, Weinke called Bowden, and Bowden offered him a scholarship with 1997 recruiting class. After arriving he quickly distinguished himself as a starting quarterback, leading the team to victory in the 1999 National Championship. In 2000, at 28, he became the oldest person to receive the Heisman Trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How long should it take a professional player to get back in shape for a sport he played just 6 years ago? If Stidham stays healthy throughout the 2018 season, that’s a full year of workouts, practices and up to 4 games of action in 2018 to get ready for 2019. He will have a huge advantage on Nix by the time he arrives. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, JFDTiger80 said:

JMO, I don't think Cord is an SEC starting caliber QB. He doesn't seem to have a big enough arm. Lots of his throws seem to float.

Textbook Wuerffel and Tebow arms. Their College careers turned out decent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Textbook Wuerffel and Tebow arms. Their College careers turned out decent. 

Wuerffel played against a different SEC back then.  The DBs were horrible.  Although he did have great timing and touch for his time.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Paw Paw Atkinson has a challenger!

That's my man crush, I'm claiming him again this year. When does that thread start up? 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Wuerffel played against a different SEC back then.  The DBs were horrible.  Although he did have great timing and touch for his time.  

The 94 AU secondary was the best ever to play at AU. Wuerffel torched them mostly, but threw a costly pick to All American Brian Robinson late to set up our game-winning drive. 

The 96 Alabama secondary had Deshea Townsend (played 13 years in the league) and Fernando Bryant, two of the better CBs in the SEC. Wuerffel torched them the entire 96 SECCG.

Don’t recall the names of the 96 FSU secondary, but they were really good. Wuerffel had to play them twice. Got stomped in Tallahassee because of FSU’s ferocious D-Line, but redeemed himself in full for the national title.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

If Stidham stays healthy throughout the 2018 season, that’s a full year of workouts, practices and up to 4 games of action in 2018 to get ready for 2019.

That's true, but after thinking about his age, there is zero reason to redshirt him.  Play him early and often if he proves to be the 2nd best QB this coming year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, api1957 said:

Dude looks 40; we have a new Paw Paw now!

lol. I will be changing my pick to Cord starting after JS leaves just based on the fact he does look 40! A 40-year-old better beat out the young guns! haha. Just joking...but yeah..i was like his birth certificate needs to be checked.

Edited by WarEagle1983

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but how do we think this would make our 2018 class look in terms of recruiting rankings in retrospect? I would think that this guy is good for at least a spot or two higher if he were evaluated by the services. I looked at 247 and they haven't added him, and even if I took a guess at his score I would not know how to calculate it off of that.

Tyler Stovall is smiling. Our legacy of aged lefty retired baseball player holders continues! Seriously, I’m excited about getting this guy on board. WDE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Tyler Stovall is smiling. Our legacy of aged lefty retired baseball player holders continues! Seriously, I’m excited about getting this guy on board. WDE!

One of our players (I honestly cannot remember who it was) tweeted that he was Stovall 2.0. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but how do we think this would make our 2018 class look in terms of recruiting rankings in retrospect? I would think that this guy is good for at least a spot or two higher if he were evaluated by the services. I looked at 247 and they haven't added him, and even if I took a guess at his score I would not know how to calculate it off of that.

No change. Still #12. Swapped Kayode for Cord. Crunched the numbers last week. There's no other way to do it than use his 2013 rating & find someone with the same rating in 2018 & add that guy to the class calculator.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No change. Still #12. Swapped Kayode for Cord. Crunched the numbers last week. There's no other way to do it than use his 2013 rating & find someone with the same rating in 2018 & add that guy to the class calculator.

Forgot about Kayode. Thank you as always, my friend. 

Glad to have CS join the family!!!! Can't have to many 4 and 5 star QB 's on the team.:wareagle::wareagle::wareagle::wareagle: