2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

16 hours ago, oracle79 said:

That's true, but after thinking about his age, there is zero reason to redshirt him.  Play him early and often if he proves to be the 2nd best QB this coming year.

If more than one of our SEC opponents turn into blowouts, agreed. But I’m not sure we can blow out anyone other than the 3 cupcakes. 

6 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

If more than one of our SEC opponents turn into blowouts, agreed. But I’m not sure we can blow out anyone other than the 3 cupcakes. 

If the O comes around we should blow out most teams like we did last season. There should be 3 at minimum.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If the O comes around we should blow out most teams like we did last season. There should be 3 at minimum.

Arkansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss are the only ones I see at this point, but Ole Miss is on the road and they have the offense to keep it respectable enough to have to leave Stidham in. 

So if ARK and UT are the only blowouts, is one extra game (beyond the 4-game max) worth burning Sandberg’s redshirt? 

I realize the guy’s age, but he’s stated he wants his college degree. 

You’re always one play away from finishing the season with whoever is 2nd in line.  If Sandberg ends up remotely looking like the 2nd man, you get him as many touches as you can as early as you can. 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2018 at 2:02 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Arkansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss are the only ones I see at this point, but Ole Miss is on the road and they have the offense to keep it respectable enough to have to leave Stidham in. 

So if ARK and UT are the only blowouts, is one extra game (beyond the 4-game max) worth burning Sandberg’s redshirt? 

I realize the guy’s age, but he’s stated he wants his college degree. 

I say burn the redshirt and get him as much experience as we possibly can. Cord is already several years past legal drinking age. No reason to save him,plus it will help him in 2019 to have some experience.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I say burn the redshirt and get him as much experience as we possibly can. Cord is already several years past legal drinking age. No reason to save him,plus it will help him in 2019 to have some experience.

Agree. Whoever the 2nd-best-QB on the roster is this season needs to get as many game reps as we can afford to spare. A redshirt for Sandberg is not important IMO considering our depth situation. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Unless he's 4th string behind Willis and Gatewood. Then he's redshirted and gets to run the practice squad. That's as likely to happen as any otther scenario.

I can't see Sandberg redshirting. If he is QB3 he might consider working at WR with some special plays.  He's very athletic and left handed. Who knws?

Whomever the back up is, I would not mind seeing him earlier in a game in lieu of when the outcome is already decided. To get some seasoning when his play actually means something. And the play calling reflects that. 

20 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

If Stidham stays healthy, I don’t see much PT for Sandberg beyond 4-5 games. 

The good news is that the play book should be easy for him to learn.

1: Hand off dive

2: WR screen

3: Play action bomb

4: Jet sweep

5: Hand off dive

6: Hand off dive

7: Hand off dive

...... Just kidding, of course.  :beer2:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

The good news is that the play book should be easy for him to learn.

1: Hand off dive

2: WR screen

3: Play action bomb

4: Jet sweep

5: Hand off dive

6: Hand off dive

7: Hand off dive

...... Just kidding, of course.  :beer2:

Let's not kid....

The kidding is that Jarrett is going to have more "freedom" in the offense. Yeah the freedom to call from a play action bomb to a handoff. Or a left dive to a right dive. Let's be honest here

Edited by Randman5000

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Let's not kid....

The kidding is that Jarrett is going to have more "freedom" in the offense. Yeah the freedom to call from a play action bomb to a handoff. Or a left dive to a right dive. Let's be honest here

If used at the right time, that can be a huge thing.  I think he will have more than that though

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If used at the right time, that can be a huge thing.  I think he will have more than that though

I would add to that, there’s not many Peyton Mannings anymore. Quarterbacks aren’t calling the game from the huddle or line anymore. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I would add to that, there’s not many Peyton Mannings anymore. Quarterbacks aren’t calling the game from the huddle or line anymore. 

And to add to that, there have never been many Peyton Manning’s anyways. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Let's not kid....

More often than not, you're checking out of a bad play more than checking into a good one. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

More often than not, you're checking out of a bad play more than checking into a good one. 

Jason Campbell was a master at this and I would be ecstatic if our QB had the ability to check us out of wasteful downs.

Its too easy to bait us into bad play calls as the defense shows a dummy alignment to force Gus into calling something then just shifts into their real alignment after Gus calls the play, thereby giving Gus', "check with me" call a much lower chance of working. And with our inability to break tendencies the DCs already know when and what Gus wants to run so they just set him up lol. This can become problematic when we play teams with equal talent, although the end of the regular season last year gave me some hope we might be changing our ways it kind of felt like we regressed in that regard after the Iron Bowl. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1