2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

23 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I don't think Cord is an SEC starting caliber QB. He doesn't seem to have a big enough arm. Lots of his throws seem to float.

Sucks there's no way his arm would have strengthened in 5 years, especially throwing all those baseballs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

It seems to me that offering Cord implies that Gus is concerned about the QB situation (after Stid, of course).  I personally don’t see Malik nor Joey being an SEC QB. 

I agree  Mike. I know they are young and inexperienced and CGM tried to spin it away, but truth be told most observants thought  neither Willis or Gatewood had a very good spring.  If JS were injured (God forbid) we could be in a world of hurt. Don't know how quick  Sandberg could get up to speed but he seemed to have Bo Nix type talent at one time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, autan said:

I agree  Mike. I know they are young and inexperienced and CGM tried to spin it away, but truth be told most observants thought  neither Willis or Gatewood had a very good spring.  If JS were injured (God forbid) we could be in a world of hurt. Don't know how quick  Sandberg could get up to speed but he seemed to have Bo Nix type talent at one time.

Everything I read said mw had a very good spring, except for the spring game! That’s due in big part because he couldn’t run the ball. Hopefully he’ll get some game reps this season that are meaningful and we’ll see! It’s only his 3rd year as a qb, and I hope ccl can develop his passing and he can learn from JS.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Sucks there's no way his arm would have strengthened in 5 years, especially throwing all those baseballs.

My brother pitched in college and he could never throw a football as far or as consistently hard as I could. Different throwing motions. He could hit 95 on the gun with a baseball though and I bet I couldn’t hit 80

Edited by aujeff11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Everything I read said mw had a very good spring, except for the spring game! That’s due in big part because he couldn’t run the ball. Hopefully he’ll get some game reps this season that are meaningful and we’ll see! It’s only his 3rd year as a qb, and I hope ccl can develop his passing and he can learn from JS.

He’s had problems with ball security as well  FWIW.

Edited by ellitor

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He’s had problems with ball security as well  FWIW.

Yeah, but could he block?

?

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2018 at 7:15 PM, fredst said:

Any dude that only threw for 4 yards in a whole damn season has no business getting drafted in the first round. I hope that GM got fired...

But those were 4 critical yards.

• Haha 1

If history shows us anything, out of our current group on campus someone wii either transfer, get hurt, go pro early when they should not etc. I think with Cord you have a guy who has been out for 5 yrs and understands it may be some time before hi is D1 ready.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 10:33 AM, ellitor said:

Why not? Because Gus hasn't developed a QB out of high school yet. That would be the only potential valid reason.

It has nothing to do with developing QBs, it's about the fact that had he been the head coach at the time, he would of most likely changed his position. 

And it's not like Gatewood was just riding the pine behind a QB who didn't even get a JUCO scholarship offer. He was splitting time with another D1 QB. 

Either way, I'm in the camp hoping we keep Gatewood at QB and that we sign this Sandberg guy. I almost said kid, but he isn't anything near a kid anymore 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

about the fact that had he been the head coach at the time he would of most likely changed his position.  

Again why? Cam was already a good passer. Don't see Gus moving him to TE if we had landed him out of high school had Gus been our HC.

And it's not like Gatewood was just riding the pine behind a QB who didn't even get a JUCO scholarship offer. He was splitting time with another D1 QB. 

So. Playing WR 3 years & QB essentially half the time as a SR has stunted his development as a QB for the time being. I hope for his sake if he wants to stay at QB, it's something he can over come, but as most things with recruiting it's nowhere near a given.

Either way, I'm in the camp hoping we keep Gatewood at QB and that we sign this Sandberg guy. I almost said kid, but he isn't anything near a kid anymore 

Agree on Cord. As for the rest I'm for putting the best players on the field. If that eventually means Joey is a WR or TE then so be it. If Joey is never QB1 then his awesome God given ability would have been a waste at AU for on field production if stays at QB & doesn't get moved.

Seems people have such short memories. Not too long ago, we were worried about having a healthy or capable Qb on the roster...

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Seems people have such short memories. Not too long ago, we were worried about having a healthy or capable Qb on the roster...

In college ball teams rarely have truly good QB situations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

And the bottom line is it is the most important position at this level. We have seen this time and time again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Either way, I'm in the camp hoping we keep Gatewood at QB and that we sign this Sandberg guy. I almost said kid, but he isn't anything near a kid anymor

Agreed. I can’t believe JG has had maybe 15 practices at AU and some have already decided he’s not going to make it at QB. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If you look at tbe top ten teams though, (which is where I hope we are every year) you will see that they either have good situations with clear heirs to stud incumbents or they have an embarrassment of riches competing in healthy QB competitions that will push the best past the post. They may have top Qbs flee as often, but more than likely they have multiple highly recruited QBs on their roster to offset the losses. You’re going to see that at Bama, UGA, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Clemson at least. We need to get to this point every season. Yeah, Stidham is our guy this season, but we would be in major trouble this year if he was to get hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. I can’t believe JG has had maybe 15 practices at AU and some have already decided he’s not going to make it at QB. 

No need to be overdramatic And take a post out of context. Nobody has decided anything. The simple fact is given his lack of QB experience the deck is stacked against him. Like I said before, if he ends up being our best option at quarterback then By all means keep him at quarterback. All I’m saying is if he doesn’t become QB1 someday then keeping him as a back up quarterback is a waste of his amazing God-given ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think he’s pretty set on playing qb and if not given every opportunity by AU he would transfer out to play elsewhere, so I hope our coaches have more confidence in his abilities than some on here! Once a kid with his abilities gets a taste of being the team leader it’s hard for them to give it up. Especially with the hype he had when coming out of hs!

Edited by toddc

13 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think he’s pretty set on playing qb and if not given every opportunity by AU he would transfer out to play elsewhere, so I hope our coaches have more confidence in his abilities than some on here! Once a kid with his abilities gets a taste of being the team leader it’s hard for them to give it up. Especially with the hype he had when coming out of hs!

The coaches wil give him every opportunity. If he is not QB1 by no later than his JR year then another position needs to be given a serious look given his God given talents.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The coaches wil give him every opportunity. If he is not QB1 by no later than his JR year then another position needs to be given a serious look given his God given talents.

He seems to really love AU so I believe there’s a good chance he would do anything for the team to win at AUBURN, even if it meant giving up his dream to be an sec qb!what say you guys?

On 7/6/2018 at 10:07 PM, Mikey said:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Willis, Gatewood, Nix, whose spot is he going to take? Which of those guys will he beat out? I don't see it. "The coaches want four QB's on the team" is a situational thing. They'll be happy with three solid ones and a walkon and having an extra scholarship slot elsewhere..

Yeah we got Sean White 2.0 in Wil Appleton.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Don't you think Sean White 2.0 would be a pretty good 4th string QB?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Don't you think Sean White 2.0 would be a pretty good 4th string QB?

A healthy Sean White?  yep.   But most colleges don't  have even one reasonable back-up QB these days.   In fact, having even one good starting QB is a fortunate situation though the QB situation in the SEC will be better this season that for the past several it appears. 

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Sean White with the exact same skill set on the field and a much improved skill set in life would be a quarterback good enough to win a lot of games on this roster. If that's what comes with the 2.0 update, then I would stick with that OS all day. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I hope SW is doing well in his party boy lifestyle but I’m glad SW wont ever start for us again. His game wasn’t exciting at all. He couldn’t hit the big play and he wasn’t nearly as athletic as Stidham. 

Thank goodness Gus saw that we needed a better QB and landed Stidham.