2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Those who worry if the recruitment is an indication of concern about our current QB situation should talk to Tiger....he wants to sign every possible good QB candidate and let them fight it out. As for me, I expect Gus will not soon forget how he thought he was set for 3 or 4 years with JJ only to see that plan not work out....and to have a couple years with major QB struggles.

Yeah.  In this regard, I feel football is like baseball and softball.  You can never have too many QB's or too many pitchers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I seriously doubt this guy would be coming here for a priority with depth.

At the very least that's exactly why we will take him. He gives us another degree of depth with an opportunity to compete going forward beginning in the 2019 season.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

If that were the case, he could’ve offered another high school QB.

Offers aren't just randomly handed out. We only gave 3 committable offers for the 2018 class, Joey, Jarren, & Jarren Williams. Gus & Chip didn't see any others they felt would be quality QBs.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

but it would be extremely hard for me to believe that this guy would have us in his top three if there was no indication of the potential to start right away. 

He is not getting a lot of good options right now in terms of starting right away from anyone. Also all he will get from us is the opportunity to compete when Jarrett leaves.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Lol @AU64 are you agreeing with me??? 

Because:

and 

are saying the same thing. To me, Quote #2 is why Quote #1 should be implemented.

The Jeremy Johnson fiasco is precisely why I feel we should sign as many good QB prospects as we can

There is probably a limit....but we are not there yet...and I don't view him as a typical 18  year prospect....

• Like 1

I don't see any benefit whatsoever to offering a high school QB over this guy. He's got just as much eligibility remaining and he's far superior in terms of physical maturation. 

And yes, he's been away from the game for awhile, but is that so much worse than making an immediate switch to college ball from high school ball?  I know a handful of guys play in 20k seat stadiums and camp with the best of the best and all that, but otherwise, I am confident that the redshirt year he's about to get combined with his physical advantages will more than catch him up to speed with just about any high schooler not named Nix/Rattler/etc. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At the very least that's exactly why we will take him. He gives us another degree of depth with an opportunity to compete going forward beginning in the 2019 season.

Offers aren't just randomly handed out. We only gave 3 committable offers for the 2018 class, Joey, Jarren, & Jarren Williams. Gus & Chip didn't see any others they felt would be quality QBs.

He is not getting a lot of good options right now in terms of starting right away from anyone. Also all he will get from us is the opportunity to compete when Jarrett leaves.

I know offers aren’t randomly handed out. Trust I’ve seen the way Gus goes about offering his QBs . That being said , this guy is not a typical freshman , even if his eligibility says so. He has played professional sports the last several years . He is a lot more mature than the guys behind Stidham . Of course, he won’t start over a bonafide nfl prospect like JS. But I highly doubt , he would have us in his final three, if he didn’t think he had a serious chance of beating out MW, JG and Bo Nix. I don’t think this guy is coming here to sit on the bench for depth and I do think it is telling that the coaching staff would go after a guy who hasn’t taken a snap in several years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

But I highly doubt , he would have us in his final three, if he didn’t think he had a serious chance of beating out MW, JG and Bo Nix.

I think we are looking at the same thing from 2 different ends.. You are talking from Cord's end & I'm covering AU's end of the recruitment. We will give him an opportunity to compete with a potential door open to start in 2019.. How he sees & construes that message is on him.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t think this guy is coming here to sit on the bench for depth

That hasn't been said or implied in this discussion FTR.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I do think it is telling that the coaching staff would go after a guy who hasn’t taken a snap in several years. 

It is. AIt says we can get a kid who we liked out of high school who has 5 years of real life maturity on him. At worst he can be a mature presence in the QB core while providing depth. At best he could be a starter if he develops.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I think we are looking at the same thing from 2 different ends.. You are talking from Cord's end & I'm covering AU's end of the recruitment. We will give him an opportunity to compete with a potential door open to start in 2019.. How he sees & construes that message is on him.

It is. AIt says we can get a kid who we liked out of high school who has 5 years of real life maturity on him. At worst he can be a mature presence in the QB core while providing depth. At best he could be a starter if he develops.

Lmao we are saying the exact same thing! I am an idiot . My bad. I think I read the initial post wrong and my post made it seem like he would only come here if he started this very minute! Sorry guys I meant he would start when JS leaves and I do think it would be a strong indicator of that being the case. Also sorry to that original poster I responded to.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not right that I can only give this last paragraph only one “like”, so:

E390A000-9234-4123-BEC1-5A97F6121109.gif

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Lol Mullen will hate us even more if we punk UF in 2019 with Cord leading the way

But can Mullen hate us more than we hate him?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Is the recruitment of Sandberg not worrisome to anybody else? 

Not really.  I think the bigger questions are:

1) What type of offense are we planning to run in 2019; Nick Marshal attack (Willis), Cam attack (Gatewood) or Stidham/Chip attack (true frosh Bo, or 6th year redshirt freshman Sandberg)?  And remember Sandberg can play in 4 games in 2018 and still redshirt.

2) The biggest question I'd think would be how does this affect Bo Nix's commitment if at all?

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

How many years to play how many?

5 years to play 4. Just an older true freshman

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

2) The biggest question I'd think would be how does this affect Bo Nix's commitment if at all?

Word is it doesn't FWIW.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

And remember Sandberg can play in 4 games in 2018 and still redshirt.

Great point. 

Now that Stidham should be more comfortable, I hope there will be more garbage snaps to go around for the other guys and we can have a little bit of a "live rounds" competition. That's probably optimistic, though, and Gus might feel an obligation to let Devin Adams get some of those snaps. And that's okay with me. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I hope there will be more garbage snaps to go around for the other guys and we can have a little bit of a "live rounds" competition

Yes we can only hope. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Great point. 

Now that Stidham should be more comfortable, I hope there will be more garbage snaps to go around for the other guys and we can have a little bit of a "live rounds" competition. That's probably optimistic, though, and Gus might feel an obligation to let Devin Adams get some of those snaps. And that's okay with me. 

There will be snaps most likely. Now if we can only have them pass the ball instead of working on handoffs, maybe we could have a guy ready like Tua was in the NC last year. I say run the offense until mid 4th quarter before pounding the rock until zeros. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 4

Frankly, I would think Cord's easiest path to start may be LSU. They have been hurting a pretty long time for an SEC caliber QB. Hopefully, he takes other things into college consideration too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I would think Cord's easiest path to start may be LSU. They have been hurting a pretty long time for an SEC caliber QB

They may or may not be hurting at QB right now but AU would be a just as quick of an opportunity to start. Whoever wins the LSU job likely between Burrow & Brennan will have potentially 2 & 3 years to start respectively so they will likely already have their 2019 starter who has played a season as starter. At AU, for 2019 we will have 2 projects & a very talented true freshman that I am sure the staff doesn't want the pressure to have to win the job immediately to be on him.

• Like 2

One good thing about Gus’ contract is guaranteed coaching stability.  The other two schools being considered don’t have that. I’m sure Cord and others take that into consideration. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, DAG said:

I do think it is telling that the coaching staff would go after a guy who hasn’t taken a snap in several years. 

Weinke-and-Heisman-943x1690.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 1:46 PM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Weinke-and-Heisman-943x1690.jpg

Right? I mean look at Tim Tebow. He's the opposite. Hadn't played baseball in 10 years and is currently a AAA all star. Some guys just have it and you give them a chance.

In my opinion, I don't believe you can sign too many QB's. I think Gus needs to sign Bo in 2019 and Cord in 2018.

Edited by auburn4ever
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In my opinion, I don't believe you can sign too many QB's. I think Gus needs to sign Bo and Cord.

Well hot damn where you been a4e???

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Right? I mean look at Tim Tebow. He's the opposite. Hadn't played baseball in 10 years and is currently a AAA all star. Some guys just have it and you give them a chance.

Meh. I love Tebow-great athlete, maybe a better person but... he’s only in AA, hitting .270s with very average OPS; he’s an All-Star because he brings fans out to the park, not because he’s that outstanding as a player right now. And, he’s out for the year with a broken hamate bone anyway, lol. All that said I also say sign ol’ Cord up!

• Like 2