2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Just a few days ago we were "full up". All 25 were said to have been used. Are you certain that Cord was offered for this fall, not as an early 2019 signee in December?

Well we lost at least one this week who did not qualify....so maybe a slot now?

• Like 1

Just now, AU64 said:

Well we lost at least one this week who did not qualify....so maybe a slot now?

No, that slot is lost, period. He still counts against the limit of 25. It's been widely accepted that we've reached that limit. Having reached the  25 limit for the 2018 class was given as the reason we didn't pursue a couple of the more recent grad transfers. By my own counting we had reached the 25 limit. If we are suddenly in a position to offer Cord a slot with the 2018 class, I'd like to learn more about how that came to pass.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I feel bad for a lot of guys that committed to that staff.

True but Kiehl's dad Robin use to be on AE a lot. So it just seemed to be closer with them

• Like 2

Good QBs are so hard to find and we have been burned bad by some. So I don't see why wouldn't bring in as much talent as possible and let the best man win

• Like 3

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2018/7/10/17552848/auburn-football-recruiting-quandarrius-robinson-kayode-oladele-cord-sandberg

Phillies being on the hook for "some" of Cord's college expenses makes this particularly interesting. Sandberg makes sense IMO if (IF) we foresee having reasonable depth at all other key positions and IF our future QB situation will to the staff be foreseeably like the Jeremy/Sean era. IF Cord brings maturity, work ethic & businesslike manner - even as just a competent but rusty QB that's been around the block in a professional sport.   

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

IF our future QB situation will to the staff be foreseeably like the Jeremy/Sean era

Malik & Joey are QB projects. It remains to be seen how they will develop. Enough of a ? IMO to take Cord.

• Like 4

So we’ve pretty much all established that going after Cord is a good idea and necessary. Let’s start a new conversation. ?  

Edited by ClaytonAU

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So we’ve pretty much all established that going after Cord is a good idea and necessary. Let’s start a new conversation. ?  

Well, Golf still sucks if you wanna rehash that.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

No. There are still some that disagree.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Well, Golf still sucks if you wanna rehash that.

That’s a give in though. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No. There are still some that disagree.

Okay 

What kind of passers is he? Also, is he like Stidham and Nix where he is listed as  a DT QB but is much more so a pocket passer? Or is he more of a run first DT QB? 

He will unquestionably have a strong arm, but how good will his accuracy be? 

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Good QBs are so hard to find and we have been burned bad by some. So I don't see why wouldn't bring in as much talent as possible and let the best man win

Good theory but young QBs mostly want a guaranteed slot or they go elsewhere.....hard to get even two reasonably good QBs at the same time.

Either way, I've never been a fan of left handed QBs, but I really wanna get this young man. He has the height, and a strong arm. Let's get this guy signed up

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good theory but young QBs mostly want a guaranteed slot or they go elsewhere.....hard to get even two reasonably good QBs at the same time.

Sooo you think it's a bad idea to stack as much talent as possible at the QB position? I'd take our losses if someone has to transfer out because they can't beat out the competition. JMO

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sooo you think it's a bad idea to stack as much talent as possible at the QB position? I'd take our losses if someone has to transfer out because they can't beat out the competition. JMO

JMO...but with the scholarship limits I don't think that is a good use of them...plus if you notice most top QBs are reluctant to sign if there is more than one real competitor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO...but with the scholarship limits I don't think that is a good use of them...plus if you notice most top QBs are reluctant to sign if there is more than one real competitor.

I get your point. I personally would rather make sure my QB position is shored up above all else.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Either way, I've never been a fan of left handed QBs, but I really wanna get this young man. He has the height, and a strong arm. Let's get this guy signed up

I feel exactly the same way about lefty QBs and have no idea why. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I feel exactly the same way about lefty QBs and have no idea why. 

Because they're weird..... :beer2:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I get your point. I personally would rather make sure my QB position is shored up above all else.

Mikey will correct your thinking about linebackers....if you two guys were recruiters all we would have are LBs and QBs ☺

Edited by AU64
  • Haha 3

Scholarships are never wasted on q.b talents. Don’t matter what type offense you run,the ball touches the qb’s hands more times than not which means the offense runs through the qb and you need a good one 

• Thanks 1

Maybe the deal is that the Phillies agreement covers his first year or two of college. His statements sounded vaguely like that. If so, then his expenses would be covered this fall without going on scholarship. That's a good thing, because I don't think we have a 2018 scholarship left.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Maybe the deal is that the Phillies agreement covers his first year or two of college. His statements sounded vaguely like that. If so, then his expenses would be covered this fall without going on scholarship. That's a good thing, because I don't think we have a 2018 scholarship left.

With due respect every interview he has given he has said or strongly implied AU has offered a full ride scholly beginning this Fall. & AU can do it & here's why. We have 21 initial counters who have received Financial Aid/scholly for the first time at AU this calendar year. All 20 enrollies from this list plus grad transfer Jack Driscoll who started classes in May or June. When Flash, Miller, & Sipposs get their actual 1st financial aid from AU they will become initial counters. Oladele would have been 25 had he qualified but he didn't. Most people including recruiting analysts (I did too til I did some more digging into NCAA rules the past couple of days) think signees = initial counters but they don't. What signing an NLI does is guarantees that recruit has an initial counter spot if he meets all the academic requirements. If he doesn't meet the academic requirements the the team can release the prospective student from the NLI & give the actual financial aid to a different prospective student. A prospective student doesn't have to sign a NLI or Financial Aid agreement in order to enroll at AU & get on scholly at AU. That's how Cord can be the 25th initial counter for the 2018 Calendar year. I will create another thread explaining the signing & IC rules & how they differ using input from AU compliance & NCAA handbook tomorrow. It's late though so I'm going to bed now. My apologies to @oracle79 & everyone for the misinformation I have pounded this past week.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Scholarships are never wasted on q.b talents. Don’t matter what type offense you run,the ball touches the qb’s hands more times than not which means the offense runs through the qb and you need a good one 

Maybe but the QB is about the only position where the back-up almost never plays ...yes you need a good one but two or three back-up are strictly insurance..and anyway,  good young QBs will no longer sit on the bench two or three years waiting to play.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What kind of passers is he?

His SR stat line from his 247 page is fairly impressive. 35 TDs & 1 INT. 67% completion percentage.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

is he like Stidham and Nix where he is listed as  a DT QB but is much more so a pocket passer? Or is he more of a run first DT QB? 

Appears to be comfortable on the run & in the pocket. If he runs a legit 4.6 I would think he could be a true Dual. Here is a SR eval FWIW...

Evaluation

Sandberg helped Manatee in a big way in 2011 when they won the state title. He was at his best in the biggest games and that is the type of player he is. He finds a way to get it done. He is a dual-threat quarterback who can run, who can buy time in the pocket, and who can extend a play. He throws the ball well on the move and he he is very cool in the pocket. He is a quarterback can make plays. - Chad Simmons

• Like 1