2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

Update 7/30/18: Committed to Auburn & will enroll August 5th.

• Spent the last six years playing minor league baseball in the Philadelphia Phillies organization

• Plans to arrive on campus next week and will technically be a member of Auburn's 2018 recruiting class

• Has 5 years to play 4 seasons

• Gives Auburn four scholarship quarterbacks on this year's roster, along with Jarrett Stidham, Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood

• Sandberg was a four-star prospect coming out of Manatee High in Bradenton, Fla., where he was ranked as the No. 8 dual-threat quarterback in the country, the No. 33 player in Florida and the No. 232 prospect in the 2013 class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Evaluation

Sandberg helped Manatee in a big way in 2011 when they won the state title. He was at his best in the biggest games and that is the type of player he is. He finds a way to get it done. He is a dual-threat quarterback who can run, who can buy time in the pocket, and who can extend a play. He throws the ball well on the move and he he is very cool in the pocket. He is a quarterback can make plays. - Chad Simmons

More details in the article below. 

This baseball player is retiring to play college football. How it might impact QBs in SEC

Edited by ellitor
Added to OP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So AU has reportedly offered former minor leaguer Cord Sandberg a full ride scholly. He was a 4* QB out of high school 5 years ago. More details in the article below. Will see how this develops before creating a thread on him.
Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/sports/article214358354.html#storylink=cpy

1. Has a GREAT football name.
2. Has the metrics.
3. Wein
     Ke!
    Wein
     Ke!
4. Mullen compared him to Tebow? Sure, why not?!
5. Sounds like he's fully prepared to embrace his role and appreciate the opportunity to earn a scholarship.
6. Mid-20s backup QB while we bring along whichever young guys we're going with? Don't mind if we do.
7. Eliminates a lot of the risk of moving Gatewood to another position. 
8. Left-handed. Jack Driscoll's QB at UMass was left-handed. Gus is clearly planning to recreate the UMass version of the HUNH. I mean, for God's sake, they're called the Minutemen. Buckle up, gang. We're about to go plaid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I think coming from FL, his best bets are UCF 1st, then FL. At 23, he needs to play quickly, so by his SO year he needs to start, if he wants a chance at the NFL. It didnt work out too well for a late bloomer just a few years ago, Brandon Weeden at 28 years old who is now with his 3rd team, as a backup QB.

I think we have such strong backup QBs for the future, I don't see him getting the rust off with us....

I don't know why we'd offer a QB that hasn't played football in five years. Unless the coaches don't feel as good about the current situation as the fans feel, we don't have a need for this guy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't know why we'd offer a QB that hasn't played football in five years. Unless the coaches don't feel as good about the current situation as the fans feel, we don't have a need for this guy.

How long was Weinke out of football before he played for FSU and won the Heisman? How about Weeden before he became a first round draft pick for OK ST? He is a very talented kid. Let's roll the dice.  Dan Mullen the QB guru wanted him so I def want him. 

• Like 3

I wish he could play offensive tackle. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Agree with what you are saying, my only question is if Mullen liked him so much why only offer a walk-on spot with their current QB’s not performing well?  If Mullen likes him so much, why not offer a scholarship?

:dunno:

ld.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It didnt work out too well for a late bloomer just a few years ago, Brandon Weeden at 28 years old who is now with his 3rd team, as a backup QB.

May not be exactly what he wants but I'd say that is working out damn well overall. He's making nearly $900k to play pro football. I'd do a lot to be in that situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Don't forget. The staff wants 4 QBs on scholly at all times if they can. Barring injury Chances are high Stidham leaves after the season. That leaves Malik, Joey, & Bo for 2019. As others have said, It is still very possible Joey ends up at another position like TE or WR. If that were to happen we would need another QB on roster for depth. Even if this kid didn't hypothetically ever start or didn't get to til his SR year after Bo potentially goes pro he could be a great asset to our QB core by bringing life experience & maturity to this young group of QBs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

We’ve got a scholarship open

Actually we don't til January.

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

we only signed so few in February. 

What do you mean here? We signed &/or enrolled 24 by February then added Driscoll who finished our yearly initial counter limit of 25.

Despite the report I don't think Cord could go on scholly at AU til January.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't think it is a matter of how Auburn wants him, but whether he feels Auburn is a good fit.

I am sure teams always recruit QBs, because so many fall by the wayside once they get into the college system. Auburn is no different.

But Cord will decide based on location and probably his best chance to play quickly...I just don't see that being at AU.

I don't think there is a situation he plays quickly unless he looks to lower levels.

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

additionally, wouldn't there be the possibility that sandberg would be a walk-on ... most likely baseball paying for his college?

If the school needs that to happen, yes.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Agree with what you are saying, my only question is if Mullen liked him so much why only offer a walk-on spot with their current QB’s not performing well?  If Mullen likes him so much, why not offer a scholarship?

Maybe he doesn't have room under his 85 or something. Or signed enough recruit + taken enough transfers to hit their 25 limit.

If he’s interested in playing for AU I say sign him up! Not worried about scholly numbers because he seems far more flexible with that than the average recruit

• Like 2

I think there's enough posts on Cord to create a thread on him regardless of where this goes. Give me a few guys.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think coming from FL, his best bets are UCF 1st, then FL. At 23, he needs to play quickly, so by his SO year he needs to start, if he wants a chance at the NFL. It didnt work out too well for a late bloomer just a few years ago, Brandon Weeden at 28 years old who is now with his 3rd team, as a backup QB.

I think we have such strong backup QBs for the future, I don't see him getting the rust off with us....

Weeden was a first round NFL draft choice. We have only had 3 in our whole history as a program for Quarterbacks in the NFL draft. I would say it worked out great for him and Oklahoma State. He threw for 4K yards in back to back seasons and led them to a New Years 6 bowl win. I would gladly take all of that here in a heartbeat.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Weeden was a first round NFL draft choice. We have only had 3 in our whole history as a program for Quarterbacks in the NFL draft. I would say it worked out great for him and Oklahoma State. He threw for 4 yards in back to back seasons and led them to a New Years 6 bowl win. I would gladly take all of that here in a heartbeat.

Any dude that only threw for 4 yards in a whole damn season has no business getting drafted in the first round. I hope that GM got fired...

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Any dude that only threw for 4 yards in a whole damn season has no business getting drafted in the first round. I hope that GM got fired...

To be fair it was a REALLY amazing 4 yards. Which you had been there mr fred! lol

• Haha 5

I remember us recruiting him in his senior season.  

But man... In the entire highlight video I didn't see 1 crossing route or intermediate route at all.  That manatee OC must suck.  :big:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I remember us recruiting him in his senior season.  

But man... In the entire highlight video I didn't see 1 crossing route or intermediate route at all.  That manatee OC must suck.  :big:

So Gus really does run a high school offense?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1