2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

With a limited number of scholly' s available, I would not want him to take one. I just don't think he will work out with the other kids we have on the roster and committed.

6 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

With a limited number of scholly' s available, I would not want him to take one. I just don't think he will work out with the other kids we have on the roster and committed.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Willis, Gatewood, Nix, whose spot is he going to take? Which of those guys will he beat out? I don't see it. "The coaches want four QB's on the team" is a situational thing. They'll be happy with three solid ones and a walkon and having an extra scholarship slot elsewhere..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Willis, Gatewood, Nix, whose spot is he going to take? Which of those guys will he beat out? I don't see it. "The coaches want four QB's on the team" is a situational thing. They'll be happy with three solid ones and a walkon and having an extra scholarship slot elsewhere..

If Joey doesn’t win the job for the 2019 season he will most likely not stay at QB. Taking Sandberg would mean you would have three QBs on the roster from that point on.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Joey doesn’t win the job for the 2019 season he will most likely not stay at QB. Taking Sandberg would mean you would have three QBs on the roster from that point on.

Slightly off topic, but I was just daydreaming of Nix tossing the rock around with Pickens, along with the speed of Schwartz, and the size of JG as our “Gronk TE”.  What a nightmare for opposing DCs!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gatewood moving to another position if he doesn't win the starting job in '19? I don't see him staying at AU after 2 years, if coaches all of a sudden want him to change positions. I would expect him to transfer. Hard to believe QBs coming in with such high credentials as he did, willing to learn a new position.

44 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Gatewood moving to another position if he doesn't win the starting job in '19? I don't see him staying at AU after 2 years, if coaches all of a sudden want him to change positions.

Won't be an all of a sudden type thing. He has another season + to make some headway.

44 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Hard to believe QBs coming in with such high credentials as he did, willing to learn a new position.

His highest credential was as an athlete. Most of his high school career was as a WR remember. If he is willing to block some learning a new position won't be that hard. especially in Gus's O.

Regardless if Bo wins the job as a true frosh as many are salivating over I think you see Joey move to TE or he or Malik transfer. Circling back to the thread topic that's all the more reason to take Cord if we can.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

It seems to me that offering Cord implies that Gus is concerned about the QB situation (after Stid, of course).  I personally don’t see Malik nor Joey being an SEC QB. 

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

It seems to me that offering Cord implies that Gus is concerned about the QB situation (after Stid, of course).  I personally don’t see Malik nor Joey being an SEC QB. 

Very possible.

12 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I see them being SEC QBs but Gus's opinion* is the one that matters. 

*And ability to develop... >:)

Gus will never have 3 solid QBs unless he has more than 3 QBs total. And out of 3 QBs, you'll never actually *know* that all 3 are solid, so you get insurance like this Sandberg fella.  I think that's probably true of every team that isn't Ohio State from a couple years ago. 

51 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

It's difficult to understand how you can say that about Gatewood. Some of the kids in his class aren't even on campus yet, but people say he doesn't have it in him to be A SEC QB... This time last year, he was preparing for his SR year in high school... I just dont get it... 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Regardless if Bo wins the job as a true frosh as many are salivating over

E, do you think there is a chance this happens? I don't... I just don't... 

I'm in the camp that hopes Gatewood becomes Newton 2.0. But had Cam signed here out of high school, we wouldnt have won in 2010, nor would we have a 3rd Heisman... He would of had people calling for him to be a TE also... You know... The position Gus NEVER uses... Because he is a superior athlete... Had Cam signed with us out of high school, he would of been swapped to TE and never heard from again. I can't believe people are really calling for that to happen to Gatewood... SMH... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

I would say having 4 QB’s on scholly should almost always be a requirement. 

I'm sure Chip whole heartedly agrees after his rough year at Zona St.

Just now, ellitor said:

I'm sure Chip whole heartedly agrees after his rough year at Zona St.

My thinking as well. You literally just never know. Also, this kid is very capable of adequate QB play, do I see him taking anyone’s spot? No. But depth at QB is a necessity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

uhhh yeah!! He's already ahead of Malik & Joey in Football IQ, fundamental mechanics, & quick decision-making. If he's better than them at reading defenses then they are going to have their work cut out trying to progress this season enough to hold Bo off in 2019. Remember also Bo has much more experience playing QB than Malik & Joey do. Malik & Joey basically have 1 year experience each playing QB. Malik also has essentially a practice season under his belt. Bo has been playing QB all his football life.

11 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

we wouldnt have won in 2010, nor would we have a 3rd Heisman

Why not? Because Gus hasn't developed a QB out of high school yet. That would be the only potential valid reason.

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He would of had people calling for him to be a TE also

So. What fans think doesn't matter. Gus & his staff's opinion are all that matters.

14 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Had Cam signed with us out of high school, he would of been swapped to TE and never heard from again.

Why are you so sure Gus would do that? You seem to be forgetting Cam had a lot more experience as a QB going into college than Joey.

17 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I can't believe people are really calling for that to happen to Gatewood... SMH... 

You act like it's a new thing. Given his limited experience at QB that speculation has been going since before his SR high school year, from fans & analysts alike.

the consensus was when we thought we were getting Justin fields that him and Joey Gatewood were not even in the same ballpark. I see Bo Nix very comparable to Justin fields and I think Gatewood will make an awesome tight end.

29 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm in the camp that hopes Gatewood becomes Newton 2.0.

I’m a huge fan of Gatewood and his upside. His QB experience is a red flag, but his upside is limitless and hopefully Gatewood is willing to put in the work this season. We accepted Gatewoods commitment very early in his HS career( even less QB experience) because we knew Gatewood had unteachable athletic ability, so be will get his chance. Gatewood can move to a different position because he’s so athletic, but we may also lose him to transfer. That will make me sad because I’m the indisputable President of Joey Gatewood fan club. 

I’m  hopeful that Nix doesn’t have to start as a TF. Nix performs and knows his position well but there is still an acclimation period. Hopefully we can ease him into his role (4 games without burning a redshirt.) If Nix has to start as a TF, I’m back to being worried about the quality of our QBs. Sad!

As far as having to learn a new position I think Joey is actually having to learn the position of quarterback where he already has plenty of experience catching the ball.

I believe the probability is very high the mr. Nix can win the starting job as a freshman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

the consensus was when we thought we were getting Justin fields that him and Joey Gatewood were not even in the same ballpark.

Athletic ability wise, they’re in the same ballpark. Same for upside. The only difference is that Fields was more polished and more college ready. Fields will push Fromm, but even then, if I was UGA, I wouldn’t want to push him into the starting role too early. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Regardless if Bo wins the job as a true frosh as many are salivating over I think you see Joey move to TE or he or Malik transfer. Circling back to the thread topic that's all the more reason to take Cord if we can.

Speaking of Cord, I just realized, we NEED to get him on campus. Gus' track record is so much better with QB transfers. Cord would fit in nicely with our successful teams with non-HS recruited starting QBs. :)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Athletic ability wise, they’re in the same ballpark. Same for upside. The only difference is that Fields was more polished and more college ready. Fields will push Fromm, but even then, if I was UGA, I wouldn’t want to push him into the starting role too early. 

Fromm will lose his job to Fields sooner rather than later imo. Plus Fromm just broke a hand.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Fromm will lose his job to Fields sooner rather than later imo. Plus Fromm just broke a hand.

Yep. Don’t think they go the whole year without Fields starting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's difficult to understand how you can say that about Gatewood. Some of the kids in his class aren't even on campus yet, but people say he doesn't have it in him to be A SEC QB... This time last year, he was preparing for his SR year in high school... I just dont get it... 

I'm in the camp that hopes Gatewood becomes Newton 2.0. But had Cam signed here out of high school, we wouldnt have won in 2010, nor would we have a 3rd Heisman... He would of had people calling for him to be a TE also... You know... The position Gus NEVER uses... Because he is a superior athlete... Had Cam signed with us out of high school, he would of been swapped to TE and never heard from again. I can't believe people are really calling for that to happen to Gatewood... SMH... 

I think the whole reason Cam went to UF in the first place was because GA saw him only as a TE..

49 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Yep. Don’t think they go the whole year without Fields starting

Same. Fields will put pressure on Fromm to play well without having two NFL ready RBs on his team. If he doesn’t, the coaching staff won’t hesitate to make a change. It’s a luxury to have quality QB options. 

Interesting conversation. JMO, I don't think Cord is an SEC starting caliber QB. He doesn't seem to have a big enough arm. Lots of his throws seem to float. 

I also think Bo has an excellent chance of starting next year. 

Finally, the UGA Fields conversation....I see Fromm starting until he leaves. Fields will get mop up duty and become the starter after Fromm. Fromm may leave after his junior year. The broken hand has been way over reported. It is his non throwing hand and he is not going to miss any time at all. Fromm has a very good command of the offense and is their best fit for the offense they run.

14 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Interesting conversation. JMO, I don't think Cord is an SEC starting caliber QB. He doesn't seem to have a big enough arm. Lots of his throws seem to float..

Perhaps, but I’d be surprised to see a highly rated HS QB who opted to play Pro BB “float” the ball a lot. Could be, but I just doubt it.  Would think the failure mode would most likely be quick/quality decision-making, as is the case with many QB’s. 

• Like 1