2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg Commits to Auburn!!!

ellitor

13 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Blown away that FL is not one of his schools of choice

I think he really wants the security of a full ride. He doesn't want to be shopping in 2 years if he's not the starter and UF doesn't want to offer him a scholarship after the baseball money runs out. Just how I interpreted his comments, could be totally wrong. 

21 minutes ago, autan said:

I believe I saw where Gators offer was invited walk-on.  If Sandberg signs with AU would you expect him to move to No. 2 pretty quickly at fall camp?

If he comes to Auburn he will be coming to start as soon as he sets foot on campus. There is no other reason for the coaching staff to offer a full ride to a guy who has been out of the sports for some odd years.

• Like 1

Lol Mullen will hate us even more if we punk UF in 2019 with Cord leading the way

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, ellitor said:

Cord is definitely a take right now FWIW.

I hope this is true.

A guy like this is bound to have more physical and mental maturity than an incoming freshman or untested soph....and seemed to have a comparable HS career to others on our roster who might be after the job. 

• Like 3

Is the recruitment of Sandberg not worrisome to anybody else?  To me it indicates the lack of confidence in development of MW/JG.  Back into the never ending cycle of having to plug in a transfer/juco guy at QB because none of the HS recruits pan out.

Also, wasn't it last year we were worried about the 1 year that Stidham took off?  Time it would take adjusting to game speed and getting hit again?  That ended up being true (see Clemson game).  Now we have Sandberg who hasn't played in what 5-6 years?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Is the recruitment of Sandberg not worrisome to anybody else? 

I just really want to know how much say Chip has in this. If he's on board, then I'm willing to believe that we really do need to keep our options open and it isn't just a matter of Gus giving up on a guy because he didn't learn how to play QB all by himself like I fear certain prior QBs were tasked with. (Slight exaggeration so some of y'all, just don't.)

To me it indicates the lack of confidence in development of MW/JG. 

Could be. Or it could be that they just really like Sandberg a lot. 4* out of high school, big strong guy, Dan Mullen-approved (I genuinely put stock in that), much more mature physically and presumably mentally than the other guys, full eligibility left... Also, JG was always a bit of a project, so it shouldn't be shocking if he doesn't start. 

Back into the never ending cycle of having to plug in a transfer/juco guy at QB because none of the HS recruits pan out.

He's not a normal transfer. He's got full eligibility left. He could theoretically be a 4-year guy for us. 

Also, wasn't it last year we were worried about the 1 year that Stidham took off?  Time it would take adjusting to game speed and getting hit again?  That ended up being true (see Clemson game).  Now we have Sandberg who hasn't played in what 5-6 years?

Fair, but he will have a redshirt year on campus with us, and it's possible that he previously played a more similar offense to ours than Stidham did. It's also possible that he's just a sharper guy than Stidham. Stidham's primary strength, that I can see, is his ability to throw a football. Even as late as the SECCG, he didn't have the best pocket awareness. Sandberg could quite possibly have a much better feel for the other aspects of the position. 

That's obviously a lot of glass half full and glass all the way full. Your concerns are not without merit, except for the transfer thing. This guy just means that we got another freshman QB in an NFL rookie's body. Is he any good? Does it mean that we still can't develop QBs? Will he ever get to throw an intermediate pass? Sigh. I wish I could tell ya, ATL. 

• Like 5

I was thinking he was a transfer/juco all this time.  5 years to play 4, just like a high school senior except with the physical/metal maturity mentioned above, is awesome.  This is basically a signee from the Joey Gatewood class, Joey was an early enrollee instead of coming in for fall camp.  I am game on this.  Sign him up!

Sandberg has not played football in a while so there would be some physical adjustment but he has been playing Pro Baseball so the mental side would be stronger than any incoming freshman. As to how long it takes to adjust to the physical side I look at BYU where they have all the 21-23 year old freshman or sophomores who took a year or two off for mission work and they seem to do fine in multiple different sports at BYU.  As to not having faith in the current backups we have two good to great athletes as our current backup QB's only one who has any real college experience and it is very limited. They could both turn out to be great but if either doesn't make it and we have a couple of injuries it gives us depth we don't have now. Personally I always prefer to have 4 scholly QB's on the roster he would give us the 4th one. Just because we are giving him a scholly doesn't mean we don't have faith in MW and JG just that we want insurance in case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Could be. Or it could be that they just really like Sandberg a lot. 4* out of high school, big strong guy, Dan Mullen-approved (I genuinely put stock in that), much more mature physically and presumably mentally than the other guys, full eligibility left... Also, JG was always a bit of a project, so it shouldn't be shocking if he doesn't start. 

Indeed. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's not a normal transfer. He's got full eligibility left. He could theoretically be a 4-year guy for us. 

I keep forgetting that, I guess its because hes not the typical straight out of high school recruit.  Hopefully his recruitment is just adding depth and not an indication of MW/JG.  Maybe if he threw with his right hand like normal people I wouldn't have been down on him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 1

@toddc PLEASE add links when you post articles. It's just as easy to copy-paste the link from the address bar as it is the article body which you already do well.

1 hour ago, autan said:

The way I read this is Sandberg would go on schollie at AU immdiately but not until Jan. at LSU and NCS.  Is that correct?

Si!

1 hour ago, autan said:

If Sandberg signs with AU would you expect him to move to No. 2 pretty quickly at fall camp?

With 5 years away from football that would be hard for a fan to say. 1 thing though. If he did become QB2 quickly that would tell us all how Malik & Joey are progressing.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If he comes to Auburn he will be coming to start as soon as he sets foot on campus. There is no other reason for the coaching staff to offer a full ride to a guy who has been out of the sports for some odd years.

With all due respect, yes there is. Depth. Remember Gus would like 4 schollied QBs on roster at all times. With out Cord in 2018 you have Jarrett & 2 projects. In 2019 you have still potential 2 projects & Bo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Is the recruitment of Sandberg not worrisome to anybody else?  To me it indicates the lack of confidence in development of MW/JG.  Back into the never ending cycle of having to plug in a transfer/juco guy at QB because none of the HS recruits pan out.

While your concern may be true it's not necessarily so W/ Gus's preference to have 4 QBs on roster at all times. Also Cord is not a transfer. He will just be an older tgrue freshman.

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Yes but Cord's adjustment won't be 5 times as bad. Also Cord won't be needed to come in & start as a true frosh barring injuries.

• Like 2

Those who worry if the recruitment is an indication of concern about our current QB situation should talk to Tiger....he wants to sign every possible good QB candidate and let them fight it out. As for me, I expect Gus will not soon forget how he thought he was set for 3 or 4 years with JJ only to see that plan not work out....and to have a couple years with major QB struggles.

Former baseball players have done OK when changing sports......the fact he has been away from football a few years does not bother me.....professional baseball is not a game for sissies.

Edited by AU64
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

While your concern may be true it's not necessarily so W/ Gus's preference to have 4 QBs on roster at all times. Also Cord is not a transfer. He will just be an older tgrue freshman.

Yes but Cord's adjustment won't be 5 times as bad. Also Cord won't be needed to come in & start as a true frosh barring injuries.

Yeah I completely overlooked the depth aspect in my post.  Thanks E.

4 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Yeah I completely overlooked the depth aspect in my post.  Thanks E.

No worries. You aren't the only 1.

Lol @AU64 are you agreeing with me??? 

Because:

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Those who worry if the recruitment is an indication of concern about our current QB situation should talk to Tiger....he wants to sign every possible good QB candidate and let them fight it out.

and 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

As for me, I expect Gus will not soon forget how he thought he was set for 3 or 4 years with JJ only to see that plan not work out....and to have a couple years with major QB struggles.

are saying the same thing. To me, Quote #2 is why Quote #1 should be implemented.

The Jeremy Johnson fiasco is precisely why I feel we should sign as many good QB prospects as we can

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2018 Former 4* QB Cord Sandberg
30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@toddc PLEASE add links when you post articles. It's just as easy to copy-paste the link from the address bar as it is the article body which you already do well.

Sorry I was on my phone and haven’t figured that part in out yet! Any help in that regard?

Title updated. Added "2018" for those who want to know where Cord would count if he picks AU.

• Thanks 1

Just now, toddc said:

Sorry I was on my phone and haven’t figured that part in out yet! Any help in that regard?

On my phone i put my thumb on the address bar a couple secs til it gives me an option to copy the link. Then just paste it as you do the article body.

• Like 1

Gut feeling says CS is ours if we put on full court press.  If something happens to Stidham (God forbid) with all due respect I don't see MW or JG leading us to 10 or 11 wins. Not this year anyway.  Gus knows there will be no excuses this time around. Our base expects contending for a championship at a minimum.  So we need the best backup QB we can get at this point.

12 minutes ago, autan said:

Gut feeling says CS is ours if we put on full court press.  If something happens to Stidham (God forbid) with all due respect I don't see MW or JG leading us to 10 or 11 wins. Not this year anyway.  Gus knows there will be no excuses this time around. Our base expects contending for a championship at a minimum.  So we need the best backup QB we can get at this point.

And that's the thing. He's practically falling in our laps. It's not like we're out there shaking trees in hopes that a championship caliber QB falls out. 

If I find a $20 bill in my pocket, I don't ask why the $20 bill in my wallet wasn't good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2