Update on 4 2018 Signees Not Yet Enrolled (Oladele update 7/9/18)

LKEEL75

Update 7/9/18: AU has released Kayode Oladele from his NLI he will attend a different school.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Reply/Keith-Niebuhr-Reply-119638754/

Siposs: Arrives next week
Schwartz: Competing in track -- arrives soon
Coynis Miller: taking a couple course. needs to do well in them. Arrival would be later this summer.
Oladele: Waiting on NCAA Clearinghouse. Had to re-take class

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are the high school guidance counselors? We had them  wayyyyy back in my high school days where we met and discussed credits earned and needed. Don't they do this anymore? Not sure if this is the school's fault or the player's fault for not being where they need to be upon the end of the senior year but someone dropped the ball here big time. If it's not grades then it seems like it would be the guidance that the player has been receiving has been questionable. I'm not trying to throw either party under the bus but my wife teaches and even though it's elementary level she has seen ceurriculum inefficiency even at that level. I just don't get it. :dunno:

1 hour ago, WarEagle8207 said:

Hopefully he'll be cleared soon.  Looks like he's staying focused in the gym. 

Good lauwd, is he really just coming out of high school?

Come on...this isn’t one of those kids that graduated from high school in another state and missed his glory days, so he re-enrolled in school using fake documents or something. I mean it happens. Or is it a new iPhone X special photo feature.

That  kid is huge. Hope it works out soon for him. 

5 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Come on...this isn’t one of those kids that graduated from high school in another state and missed his glory days, so he re-enrolled in school using fake documents or something. I mean it happens. Or is it a new iPhone X special photo feature.

I remember Lemonier being almost that big when he committed to AU. What do they feed those boys in Hialeah?

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I just took a look at his twitter feed. Dude reminds me of Dee Ford. Not that it wasn't obvious from the pic above, but he is extremely focused on weight training. Like, it's 50% NBA/best wishes to people he knows who committed to other schools/Nigerian soccer and the other 50% is weights. 

Oh, and he played his first American football game in 2016.

I'd honestly forgotten about him. Shame on me. 

We take religion class seriously..........Question of Purgatory counts as 50% of your final grade?..........just kidding hopefully this gets sorted out soon.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Where are the high school guidance counselors? We had them wayyyyyback in my high school days where met and discussed credits earned and needed. Don't they do this anymore?

You are correct. Somebody dropped the ball. There's no excuse for a potential college scholarship kid to have problems that are easily corrected. Way back when, guidance counselors at least informed every student what it would take to graduate, and those with special concerns such as scholarships were fully informed and helped when needed.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You are correct. Somebody dropped the ball. There's no excuse for a potential college scholarship kid to have problems that are easily corrected. Way back when, guidance counselors at least informed every student what it would take to graduate, and those with special concerns such as scholarships were fully informed and helped when needed.

A quick personal example. I attended AU on an Army ROTC scholarship. I literally got my application in on the last possible day. My guidance counselor was clueless and if not for a family friend, I would not have even known what that program was. My experience at AU and in the Army forever changed the trajectory of my entire life, and my guidance counselor’s incompetence could’ve denied me the opportunity of a lifetime. What they do (or fail to do) is so important. I hope KO gets his case resolved very soon. 

There is no reason for the NCAA to hold this young man up when he has done exactly what they asked of him. We need to get him on campus asap and let him loose in the weight room!  He will tear it up no doubt soon and very soon!

Knowing how slow the NCAA is, you have to wonder how long it will take for them to make a ruling on Miller and Oladele.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

A quick personal example. I attended AU on an Army ROTC scholarship. I literally got my application in on the last possible day. My guidance counselor was clueless and if not for a family friend, I would not have even known what that program was. My experience at AU and in the Army forever changed the trajectory of my entire life, and my guidance counselor’s incompetence could’ve denied me the opportunity of a lifetime. What they do (or fail to do) is so important. I hope KO gets his case resolved very soon. 

Similar story for me missed out on a full ride to Harvard because she was too lazy to see if people qualified from my class (well before the internet so I didn't know about it as it was sent to our school).  She was more focused on getting people to trade schools or  enlisting in the military.  In her defense 8 out of 88 went on to college.  Ended up Navy ROTC scholly at AU and the rest is history.

It's simple. Mark Emmert saw that photo of Oledele and thought ole Auburn might have an unfair advantage against his pal Nick.

19 hours ago, gr82be said:

Where are the high school guidance counselors? We had them  wayyyyy back in my high school days where we met and discussed credits earned and needed. Don't they do this anymore? Not sure if this is the school's fault or the player's fault for not being where they need to be upon the end of the senior year but someone dropped the ball here big time. If it's not grades then it seems like it would be the guidance that the player has been receiving has been questionable. I'm not trying to throw either party under the bus but my wife teaches and even though it's elementary level she has seen ceurriculum inefficiency even at that level. I just don't get it. :dunno:

The school, the kid and his parents all carry some of the blame on this IMO.

Everyone's known the kid was getting a DI level scholarship for quite some time, this could've been remedied long ago.  Now he sits waiting on others to clear him for entrance.  Why put your future in the hands of others, why not take control of your own situation?

1 hour ago, keesler said:

The school, the kid and his parents all carry some of the blame on this IMO.

Everyone's known the kid was getting a DI level scholarship for quite some time, this could've been remedied long ago.  Now he sits waiting on others to clear him for entrance.  Why put your future in the hands of others, why not take control of your own situation?

Correct on the parents responsibility too. Neither of my two children had athletic scholarships waiting on them but I certainly was a very interested bystander when it came to their status toward graduation. There is too much on the line not to be asking as many questions as you have to to get the answers.

If it makes anyone feel better, I have been waiting to be cleared by the NCAA for 10 years now.  Still waiting for one of the coaches to call me and tell me they are ready for me.  Until then I have been doing my best to stay in shape. 

98AA36CA-D0F5-46A9-B428-62B4840D37C1.gif

How is this still possible in 2018?

Everybody gets blame for this. Auburn, the high school, the parents , the student, etc. if your ultimate goal is to play D-1 football, then all hands need to be on deck. 

Seriously? I think I got a B or B- ? Do you even remember the course? It’s just frustrating.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

How is this still possible in 2018?

Everybody gets blame for this. Auburn, the high school, the parents , the student, etc. if you are ultimate goal is to play D-1 football, then all hands need to be on deck. 

Seriously? I think I got a B or B- ? Do you even remember the course? It’s just frustrating.

BINGO!  

Hell in today's (2018) world of academics this should not be an issue.  Measures can and should've been taken by the individual student, his parent/guardian, his HS guidance counselor, his HS coach. 

I don'e believe Auburn is to blame in any way because I feel certain AU did their part and informed this kid/parents many months ago of AU's academic requirements and where he had to be to get cleared for the Fall.  How can a high school operate under a system where their students could possibly be short credit hours in May of their final senior semester?  

As we know from recruiting forays into Memphis, guidance counselors can be THE problem. Mine in high school 40 years ago was a dumpster fire.

20 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Reminds me of the old maxim:

Those who can- Do

Those who can't-Teach

I always thought the extension to that is :

Those who can't teach- Become Guidance Counselors

Moral of the story: You gotta be a real screw up to be a guidance counselor.

Ehh, the guidance counselor can only advise or provide a guideline for a student to follow. 

If the student and their parents fail to educate themselves and steer their own path for education, then it's on them.  It's not that dang hard to look at your kids high school transcript after every semester and know where your kid is going, what they need to do to graduate, and how many credits they have to have to get their degree.  The moment you see a deficiency or a blip on the transcript, be proactive and stay on top of things and make damn sure your kid is on the right track.  

This kid should've known in August of last year where he stood academically and where he needed to be after the first semester of his senior yr.  Why did folks not know until May of his last semester in HS that he was short 1 credit?  

It's hard to place the blame on one person/institution.....but the NCAA requirements start in the 9th grade, not in 12th....the high school athletic director along with the coach (football in these cases), should identify players in the 9th grade that have the potential to play in college, need to be informed the requirements...get away from just making sure a kid is eligible according to their state requirements and make sure they're making process to be NCAA eligible (SAT/ACT score and GPA in the required courses)....PE, basketweaving classes don't count....Sometimes kids don't realize the opportunity until their 11th grade year and by that time their GPA is so low; they would need a 1200 SAT or 32 on the ACT to be eligible....

The NCAA has been sending high schools literature and information on the requirements to be cleared by the NCAA every year.....so I well it falls on the high school athletic departments and not the guidance....most guidance staff never played in college, so athletics isn't as important to them as it would be to the coach, AD.... 

Archived