Update on 4 2018 Signees Not Yet Enrolled (Oladele update 7/9/18)

LKEEL75

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Is it possible that TPB at AU, whether coaches or admins didn't like something they saw in how HE was handling things?  Maybe saw a lack of care or effort?  Thus deciding "nevermind"...

Yes it's possible the staff felt that way but I'm not sure we would ever get reports of it so I'm not sure it's worth us speculating on.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auburntiger1987 said:

If it’s ncaa he would have to then go juco or junior college right? Or am I not understanding? I was reading into it that he’s open to exploring more than that option

Depends on what he needs to get NCAA cleared. If it's not much he can finish on his own & enroll somewhere in the Fall or January.

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

First time I saw that scene I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe!

Me too.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Is it possible that TPB at AU, whether coaches or admins didn't like something they saw in how HE was handling things?  Maybe saw a lack of care or effort?  Thus deciding "nevermind"...

I agree. I’m too lazy to go back and find the quote, but he seemed terribly nonchalant about the grade in his summer school class. You know, the one that was supposed to make him eligible. And before anyone says anything, I know the attitude of nonchalant high school boys....I have two of them living in my house. Three if you count my maturity level.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Pending on the details they potentially did have a choice. If he could get everything done and cleared before January Auburn still could’ve taken him and counted in either the 2018 or 2019 class. And AU did make the call Instead of waiting on him to finish what he needed to finish.

Thanks for the podcast, some good stuff in there.

Hate to hammer a dead horse, but want to make sure I understand the situation.  You're saying if it's an NCAA issue and he doesn't get it rectified by January, then he CAN'T enroll at a D1 school at all right?  He would have to go JUCO (or lower level like NAIA) because he hasn't qualified per NCAA rules?  And therefore, he couldn't enroll at a D1 school and play immediately?  But, because he did sign an NLI with us, we lose his initial qualifier spot on the 25? Basically there is no scenario where we get that initial 25 spot back?

Well it was fun for awhile but I guess I'll just cancel my yodeling lessons and wish him the best.  Looking forward to fall practice and the upcoming season.  War Eagle to all.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

You're saying if it's an NCAA issue and he doesn't get it rectified by January, then he CAN'T enroll at a D1 school at all right?

Not without going to prep school or juco 1st.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

And therefore, he couldn't enroll at a D1 school and play immediately?

He could play immediately at a D1 school after he finishes his prep school or juco work.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

because he did sign an NLI with us, we lose his initial qualifier spot on the 25? Basically there is no scenario where we get that initial 25 spot back?

Initial counter spot & yes & yes.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

5th

'13: Jason Smith (HS) & Earnest Robinson
'17 Alaric Williams & Carlito Gonzales
'18 Oladele

This is not bad. Heck, Tubs would have at least this many non qualifiers in one class.

8 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This is not bad. Heck, Tubs would have at least this many non qualifiers in one class.

Yeah but back then you could enroll 28-30.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. Can't afford to do this every year. 

Seems like the signs were there - out of state kid, in state schools not fighting hard for him, supposedly he had a handler, had a complicated grade situation.  Maybe they felt like his potential was worth the risk...probably one of those risks you take when you're a new coach trying to add talent quickly...not something a 5th year head coach should take.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Arlic Williams hurt us. 

Yup. Would be another kid that could do work between the tackles for us.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Seems like the signs were there - out of state kid, in state schools not fighting hard for him, supposedly he had a handler, had a complicated grade situation.  Maybe they felt like his potential was worth the risk...probably one of those risks you take when you're a new coach trying to add talent quickly...not something a 5th year head coach should take.

Don’t remember the handler part.  Wasn’t a risk in the staff’s eyes at the time. At the time they were confident they would get him in this year and his visa issues would be clear. Obviously that was a mistake.  And wasn’t really a risk. Remember from my last purse in the cord thread. Signees who do not qualify can  have their initial counter reserve spots taken by other prospective students as long as the  prospective students made academic standards and Did not sign a NLI or financial aid agreement. 

fwiw, I pulled up Alaric's 247 profile page.  I don't know if I'm looking at the right page, but it seems to indicate he is a Class of 2019 guy coming out of JUCO at Garden City ... there are zero colleges listed as interested?  To soon for JUCO's or did he fall off the map?

Edit:  he has a pinned tweet from this time-ish last year stating his appreciation to the AU staff and as a warning to highly recruited athletes to take academics seriously.  Seemed like a solid and humble thing to post and also to leave posted/pinned.  Maybe we will see him again?

10 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

To soon for JUCO's or did he fall off the map?

Fell off the map. His AU offer was contingent on him qualifying from high school.

13 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Maybe we will see him again?

Not in an AU uniform.

Archived