Wonder who Trump's 3rd Supreme Court Nominee will be?

japantiger

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

And he did so because the Republicans were refusing to appoint any district court judges.  Pure obstructionism.

So what you're saying then is McConnel is justified with Gorsuch and Kavenaugh...since, well, because Democrats were refusing to appoint any Supreme court judges.  Pure obstructionism.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2018 at 10:58 PM, japantiger said:

So what you're saying then is McConnel is justified with Gorsuch and Kavenaugh...since, well, because Democrats were refusing to appoint any Supreme court judges.  Pure obstructionism.

Sorry, but I don't understand that.  I doesn't make sense.

Democrats in congress don't get to appoint supreme court justices even though there were many positions to be filled.  McConnell's obstructionism was blatant and is well recognized. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 10:03 PM, TexasTiger said:

I don’t have strong feelings at the moment. Seems like a pick many Republicans could make . A lot of politics in his background, though. I would have preferred Hardiman from the list— paid tuition driving a cab. I think the Court benefits from someone with less of an Ivy League pedigree. His writings will be scrutinized, he’ll be questioned and perhaps I’ll feel differently. Don’t agree with his view shielding the President from all litigation.

Hardiman may get another look.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Hardiman may get another look.

He was my preference on the initial go around. Titan's probably right that Barrett will get a good look. Rs will have an easier time ramming a hardliner through post scandal. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He was my preference on the initial go around. Titan's probably right that Barrett will get a good look. Rs will have an easier time ramming a hardliner through post scandal. 

And, it will be easier to get a woman confirmed after something like this than another white (trigger warning for PT) dude.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

And, it will be easier to get a woman confirmed after something like this than another white (trigger warning for PT) dude.

Depends. Collins and Murkowski may not support someone as avowedly against Roe v Wade. The choice is partisan fight to excite the base or a conservative choice who is less outspoken on the issue.

Maybe.  I think they're less likely to reject a second nominee and hurt their party more than the Kavanaugh withdrawal already would have.  But I'm sure that's part of the calculus.

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Depends. Collins and Murkowski may not support someone as avowedly against Roe v Wade. The choice is partisan fight to excite the base or a conservative choice who is less outspoken on the issue.

Well that leaves Kethledge or Hardiman.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Maybe.  I think they're less likely to reject a second nominee and hurt their party more than the Kavanaugh withdrawal already would have.  But I'm sure that's part of the calculus.

Plus, her statements on Roe aren't exactly that inflammatory:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/08/amy-coney-barrett-what-possible-supreme-court-nominee-has-said-roe-v-wade-and-other-issues/759076002/

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That may create pressure to have an easy confirmation.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Let's assume that Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed.  If the Rs were to lose the Senate, do they risk also losing the White House in 2020 if they ram a nominee through post-midterm elections before January?

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Let's assume that Kavanaugh doesn't get confirmed.  If the Rs were to lose the Senate, do they risk also losing the White House in 2020 if they ram a nominee through post-midterm elections before January?

I don't think so.  I'm sure the DNC will spin it that way, but I don't think it lodges with voters that way.  I don't think a midterm election is held in the same high priority the way a presidential one is.  And I say that believing that McConnell's tactic on Garland was actually underhanded.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think so.  I'm sure the DNC will spin it that way, but I don't think it lodges with voters that way.  I don't think a midterm election is held in the same high priority the way a presidential one is.  And I say that believing that McConnell's tactic on Garland was actually underhanded.

I guess I'm not thinking about the hard-cores, but rather the middle.  I can see that being a big problem.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I guess I'm not thinking about the hard-cores, but rather the middle.  I can see that being a big problem.

I don't think the middle feels that way either.  If they had, I think they would have punished the GOP for doing what they did with Garland and Trump loses big.

The GOP may lose the White House in 2020, but there are myriad other reasons that would happen before anything about a SCOTUS nominee being rammed through prior to mid terms would register as a factor.

9 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think the middle feels that way either.  If they had, I think they would have punished the GOP for doing what they did with Garland and Trump loses big.

The GOP may lose the White House in 2020, but there are myriad other reasons that would happen before anything about a SCOTUS nominee being rammed through prior to mid terms would register as a factor.

You're probably right, but keep in mind that Trump "won" with a ~3 million vote popular vote deficit.

No way Trump gets re-elected, regardless of supreme court politics. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, japantiger said:

The best of Twitter today....here's what would happen if Trump nominated Jesus for SCOTUS:

DorGrrPXUAA-0ej.jpg:large

I laughed...

On 9/17/2018 at 9:51 PM, homersapien said:

You're probably right, but keep in mind that Trump "won" with a ~3 million vote popular vote deficit.

No way Trump gets re-elected, regardless of supreme court politics. 

You’re in for a major let down.

Archived