If this story is accurate, my already tempered enthusiasm for Kavanaugh has sunk even lower

TitanTiger

Last thing we needed, or those who voted for Trump wanted, was Kennedy 2.0.  I wasn't excited about Kavanaugh to begin with, and this may just solidify that sinking feeling.

Anthony Kennedy agreed to retire if Trump promised to replace him with Brett Kavanaugh

The Trump administration has been negotiating Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement for months, according to a new report.

Kennedy agreed to retire at the end of the term that concluded last month once he received assurances that President Donald Trump would replace him with a former law clerk, reported NBC News.

On Monday, the president held up his end of the bargain by nominating Brett Kavanaugh, the conservative former Kennedy clerk...

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/anthony-kennedy-agreed-retire-trump-promised-replace-brett-kavanaugh-report/

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I guess that's good.  Marginally improves my feelings on it.  But if you asked me to name two on the list that I least wanted, it would have been Hardiman and Kavanaugh.

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess that's good.  Marginally improves my feelings on it.  But if you asked me to name two on the list that I least wanted, it would have been Hardiman and Kavanaugh.

I was actually hoping for Hardiman. Go figure. :lol:

Just now, AUDub said:

I was actually hoping for Hardiman. Go figure. :lol:

I should probably put in the caveat that I knew the least about Hardiman, so he might have been fine.  I was just really hoping it wasn't Kavanaugh.  I would have preferred Kethledge or Barrett.  Probably Kethledge because he has more experience.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I should probably put in the caveat that I knew the least about Hardiman, so he might have been fine.  I was just really hoping it wasn't Kavanaugh.  I would have preferred Kethledge or Barrett.  Probably Kethledge because he has more experience.

That surprises me. Kethledge would have been the most likely to go "Souter," IMO.

Kavanaugh is a very safe pick from a con perspective. The court will be solidly conservative with him in it for quite some time. Right now, Roberts is the closest to an ideological center the court has, and that's saying a lot. 

Just now, AUDub said:

That surprises me. Kethledge would have been the most likely to go "Souter," IMO.

Kavanaugh is a very safe pick from a con perspective. The court will be solidly conservative with him in it for quite some time. Right now, Roberts is the closest to an ideological center the court has, and that's saying a lot. 

I don't see that in Kethledge.  What makes you say that?

I think Barrett and he were the most solidly conservative.  I liked Barrett's background the most and her studies under solid natural law instructors.  

I'll admit, I could be wrong.  I talk to people who have legal backgrounds whom I respect and glean a lot of my feelings on the matter from them.  To some degree we're all reading tea leaves I suppose.

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Last thing we needed, or those who voted for Trump wanted, was Kennedy 2.0.  I wasn't excited about Kavanaugh to begin with, and this may just solidify that sinking feeling.

That article is fake news 

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I would not be shocked either way. Some things in politics never change. The DC way baby.

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't see that in Kethledge.  What makes you say that?

Not just me. Lot of noise on the right before they (of course) switched gears when he got the nod.

I think Barrett and he were the most solidly conservative.  I liked Barrett's background the most and her studies under solid natural law instructors.  

Barrett was dangerous because of the potential nomination fight over her views on abortion and stare decisis, as well as her dearth of experience.

7 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No way man......that would never happen on something this important  ?

On 7/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, DKW 86 said:

Rod Blagojevich says hi....from the Illinois State Penitentiary...

For whomever didnt understand my reference. RB went to prison for trying to take a bribe for Obamas Senate seat.

Sounds exactly like what some of you are saying Trump may have done. if true, hope they share the same cell.

Archived