If Roe v. Wade gets overturned, it wouldn’t ban abortion

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I don’t think it will. But  in the event that it does and contrary to what many people assert, abortion would not be outright banned. Rather, the authority over abortion would go back to individual states, most of which have abortion laws already (right now they are just preempted by federal law). Off of the top of my head, I can list several states that would still allow for abortion. Thus, the first ramification of Roe v. Wade being overturned would require some to travel across state lines to receive abortions. It would not, however, make abortion illegal nationwide.

Insurance coverage and funding for abortions are separate issues. The power would rest with state legislatures.

You owe me another drink. I told you this was where this was headed. 

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Further to how poverty might affect one's ability (or inclination) to travel. Super obvious stuff. Crazy that it's even a discussion. 

https://psmag.com/environment/who-didnt-evacuate-for-hurricane-katrina

Do you seriously need someone to explain the circumstances of evacuating the largest and most severe hurricane in history in comparison to the ability to travel under normal conditions? You know, like when bus tickets are numerous and you don’t have to worry about your city being shutdown for months? 

My goodness. Surely your smart enough to advance your opinion using other means.

31 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

You owe me another drink. I told you this was where this was headed. 

Read my first sentence babe. Lol 

I will get the tab running just in case.

3 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Read my first sentence babe. Lol 

I will get the tab running just in case.

Since when is “ I don’t think it will” an adequate defense? 

The count is two, babe. 

1 minute ago, GiveEmElle said:

Since when is “ I don’t think it will” an adequate defense? 

The count is two, babe. 

I don’t think it will get overturned. What more must you require of me El?

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

A homeless person in Florida can make it to San Francisco in less than 72 hours. It happens every day. I just don’t see the “travel” aspect as a legitimate concern, at least for people who live in the 48 contiguous states.

Also, I’m having a tough time understanding the purpose of your speculation that a significant number of women who get abortions would do it themselves but for Roe v Wade. In other words, if not for Roe v Wade, more women would DIY abortion if they lived in a state where abortion was illegal, on the basis of travel inconveniences?

:rolleyes:  Seriously?

20 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

See edit.

Yeah I just don’t see that as a legitimate concern. Ultimately it’s the woman’s decision. If Roe v Wade is overturned, women in some places will have to travel over state lines to get abortions. The few that don’t decide to travel becuase it isn’t convenient and alternatively go the back alley route would do so at their own peril. I can’t see that as a consequence of the law. 

Well at least you're consistent in your disregard for the practical effects of a given law.  You really need some life experience.  I hope you get it.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It’s your typical “let them eat cake” argument.

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well at least you're consistent in your disregard for the practical effects of a given law.  You really need some practical experience.  I hope you get it.

I’m sorry that I don’t consider as legitimate the assertion that state regulation of abortion will lead to an epidemic of illegal abortions across America on the basis of transportation inconveniences.

That was never even a basis for implementing the federal regulatory regime. 

If that’s a primary concern for certain individuals then hopefully you, and others with bleeding hearts on this issue, will donate money for transportation purposes should states regain authority. By all means.

50 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I don’t think it will get overturned. What more must you require of me El?

The doors are now open for states to ban abortion. Once that happens they can challenge the federal ruling, right? 

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Another thing that would need to happen is that government and private non-profits, including religious ones, be able to work together better without people getting overly wound up about church/state issues.  Beyond some bare bones rules stating that such organizations can't discriminate based on religious beliefs (or lack thereof) or set as a prerequisite for their help that a person first sit through a proselytizing session, let the organizations be who they are and come alongside government to meet these needs.

We had a recent case that touched on this issue. 

https://www.palmettofamily.org/executive-order-protects-miracle-hill-ministries-other-faith-based-organizations-in-south-carolina/

Just now, GiveEmElle said:

The doors are now open for states to ban abortion. Once that happens they can challenge the federal ruling, right? 

No they aren’t. Roe v Wade hasn’t been overturned.

No. I think the court will continue dismissing such challenges 

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

Yes, Much closer to the pin Titan....carry it all the way thru...

• overturn Roe v Wade - it was ruled incorrectly in the same way Brown v Board of Ed was ruled wrongly.  Bad precedent is bad law
  • turn it back to the states; which is where it belongs...
  • defund planned parenthood
  • end illegal immigration; build the wall...zero tolerance
  • we spend between $115b - $135b annually  today on illegal immigration (depending on who's numbers you use) ...give that money to the states....put all that money into raising our own children instead of aborting them and importing other peoples children. Use the $$ to: build child care centers, job training for single mothers impacted, education and birth control to reduce the need, programs to encourage marriage in inner cities, fund church support in these communities to encourage couples to stay together, parenting classes, etc.

Abortion on demand is a national disgrace....it is a national disgrace that one party is so invested in mass murder that it has become their rallying cry....

How in hell is defunding planned parenthood a positive, regardless of what happens to Roe v. Wade?  That's just irrational.

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

My apologies. But I respectfully disagree with your collateral considerations. They are tenuous IMO

You seem to have little understanding regarding the practical impacts of poverty.  Again, this can (hopefully) be addressed with more experience.

13 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It’s your typical “let them eat cake” argument.

Becuase I don’t believe that a vast number of women that might live in a state where abortion is banned will start aborting their babies themselves, instead of traveling to somewhere where it’s legal?

Sure, there could be instances, but I think your concern re the number of women who would all of a sudden do such a thing on that particular basis is quantitatively excessive. Don’t you imagine that the increase in DIY abortions would be significant?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

You seem to have little understanding regarding the practical impacts of poverty.  Again, this can (hopefully) be addressed with more experience.

You seem to have little understanding regarding the practical capabilities of transportation. 

8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You seem to have little understanding regarding the practical capabilities of transportation. 

And you don't seem to have a full grasp of the burden of being poor.

19 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No they aren’t. Roe v Wade hasn’t been overturned.

No. I think the court will continue dismissing such challenges 

I said it can be challenged, not that it was overturned. 

You think a court stacked with conservative judges will uphold Roe v Wade? 

12 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I said it can be challenged, not that it was overturned.  

You think a court stacked with conservative judges will uphold Roe v Wade?  

I think Roe v. Wade is a case they do not want to touch with a ten foot pole. They'll continue chipping away, as they have for the last few decades, but they won't overturn it. Any case heading for the Supreme Court that might bring about such a decision will likely be headed off and settled before it reaches the court, or the court will likely refuse to hear it.

If by some accident of mismanagement it did slip through, and the Justices take leave of their senses, there would be a ton of backlash.

Just now, AUDub said:

And you don't seem to have a full grasp of the burden of being poor.

Poor people, presumably the majority of, can still travel across states lines. I’ve volunteered at homeless shelters before, the people come from all over. Go ride by a greyhound station at 7:00am. It’s immensely speculative to insinuate some epidemic of poor people resorting to DIY abortions if states regulated abortion, on the basis of transportation inconveniences. 

Im not saying that there would be no additional instances of DIY abortions should states regain authority, but it wouldn’t be the fault of the legislature.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or an interest in trying. 

Well, privilege is, by definition, the advantages you don't think about.

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Well, privilege is, by definition, the advantages you don't think about.

Now I’m privileged becuase I think poor people can travel over state lines should abortion be illegal in certain states? Wow

Archived