If Roe v. Wade gets overturned, it wouldn’t ban abortion

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Now I’m privileged becuase I think poor people can travel over state lines should abortion be illegal in certain states? Wow 

I assume you're not exactly poor, given the fact that you chronicled you fancy vacation for us.

Count my blessings and thank the Lord every day, but recognize that a lot of people have it worse than me.

25 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I said it can be challenged, not that it was overturned. 

You think a court stacked with conservative judges will uphold Roe v Wade? 

I don’t think they’ll take a challenge. 

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

How uninformed I must be to argue that poor people can travel across state lines.

How ignorant act like it's no big deal for a large portion of our population.

Just now, AUDub said:

I assume you're not exactly poor, given the fact that you chronicled you fancy vacation for us.

Count my blessings and thank the Lord every day, but recognize that a lot of people have it worse than me.

I know. Trust me. Have you ever been to New Orleans, especially around the Dome? It’s bad.

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

I know. Trust me. Have you ever been to New Orleans, especially around the Dome? It’s bad.

I grew up in Birmingham. I know "bad." Spent part of my life in a "bad" area before my parents white flighted us the hell out of there, lol.

Just now, AUDub said:

How ignorant act like it's no big deal for a large portion of our population.

It is a big deal. Is it burdensome enough to maintain that they’ll essentially be forced to conduct their own abortion, no.

Just now, AUDub said:

I grew up in Birmingham. I know "bad." Spent part of my life in a "bad" area before my parents white flighted us the hell out of there, lol.

Especially some parts of downtown.

Re. Roe vs. Wade, a tidbit of history.  A lot of people (especially younger ones) don't remember that Roe was Norma McCorvey. She later became Roman Catholic and recanted he view of abortion). In fact she became active in the Pro Life movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_McCorvey

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It is a big deal. Is it burdensome enough to maintain that they’ll essentially be forced to conduct their own abortion, no. 

For many, it would be. It won't be as bad as it was before, but women with economic resources will continue to have more options and access than others.

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

For many, it would be. It won't be as bad as it was before, but women with economic resources will continue to have more options and access than others.

I can end on that. We obviously won’t agree on how that particular fraction of women would be affected. That’s fine. Appreciate the exchange. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is a rare, genuine pro-life stance and a welcome break from the anti-abortionists who are far less pro-life than many of us who support a woman's right to choose and who are willing to accept that terminating a pregnancy is often an excruciating decision made with the welfare of the fetus in mind. 

As for prior posts, it would be surprising if it were anyone else from New Orleans who didn't understand that sometimes it's very difficult for people to leave home, even if, say, a hurricane is coming. 

Cant speak for New Orleans live 45 mins East of........However, here where Katrina hit.....the majority flat out refused to leave. 

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Cant speak for New Orleans live 45 mins East of........However, here where Katrina hit.....the majority flat out refused to leave. 

Yep. I know people who stayed through the eye.... Gulfport MS area

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I think Roe v. Wade is a case they do not want to touch with a ten foot pole. They'll continue chipping away, as they have for the last few decades, but they won't overturn it. Any case heading for the Supreme Court that might bring about such a decision will likely be headed off and settled before it reaches the court, or the court will likely refuse to hear it.

If by some accident of mismanagement it did slip through, and the Justices take leave of their senses, there would be a ton of backlash.

I wish I shared your optimism. But the fact that a reality tv star with no experience is running the country and profiting from it with no accountability whatsoever makes me skeptical. He ran on punishing women for having abortions. This is what his evangelical base wants. 

4 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I wish I shared your optimism. But the fact that a reality tv star with no experience is running the country and profiting from it with no accountability whatsoever makes me skeptical. He ran on punishing women for having abortions. This is what his evangelical base wants. 

And here we go.....

6 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

And here we go.....

Nothing in my statement is untrue. Evangelicals got behind Trump so he could appoint SCOTUS judges with the goal being to end abortion rights and the rights of homosexuals. 

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/at-va-capitol-evangelist-franklin-graham-urges-thousands-of-voters/article_9a8c765c-4522-5619-b631-621428af6ab1.html

2 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Nothing in my statement is untrue. Evangelicals got behind Trump so he could appoint SCOTUS judges with the goal being to end abortion rights and the rights of homosexuals. 

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/at-va-capitol-evangelist-franklin-graham-urges-thousands-of-voters/article_9a8c765c-4522-5619-b631-621428af6ab1.html

Trump told them what they wanted to hear. Don't believe Roe v. Wade, or even Obergefell, will be challenged. 

7 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Every candidate used that as incentive. They would’ve been dumb not to. Roe v Wade would’ve been pertinent across the political spectrum whether or not anyone ran on it - one wants to protect it, the other side doesn’t. Whether or not the Justices will touch it is another convo 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Trump told them what they wanted to hear. Don't believe Roe v. Wade, or even Obergefell, will be challenged. 

Isn’t that what they all do lol.... and at EVERY level. *looking at you John Bell Edwards*

14 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Every candidate used that as incentive. They would’ve been dumb not to. Roe v Wade would’ve been pertinent across the political spectrum whether or not anyone ran on it - one wants to protect it, the other side doesn’t. Whether or not the Justices will touch it is another convo 

Well when you tell me that I was right please use the word “correct” since I’m left. 

i am not real big on abortion. shrugs. once that heart beats to me it reps life. if i am wrong school me. but i also am not sure folks have the right to tell someone what they can do with their body. i guarantee you it would not stop there. i think it was last year some preacher was claiming masterbation is murder. but here is my own view and bash it all you want. if your church or your religion refuses to accept birth control pills or refuses to make condoms available as well as sex education then i believe those churches are just as guilty of murder {if it is murder depending who you talk to} as much as those seeking abortions. you can argue all you want but i will die believing that. the methods most churches try to use are just not very effective. i mean we have thousands of abortions if what i hear from evangelicals you can disagree with my stance but i will not change one single bit. educate kids and realize they are human. hell humans are designed with three major things. to survive and procreate. regardless of your intentions if you get in the back seat with that hawt cheerleader and she drops her undies what are you going to do? we are designed to reproduce. what percentage of kids are going to change their mind in the heat of the moment? teaching them it is wrong is ok. but educate them and get off your high horse and protect those kids by letting them know about different birth controls available and do not make them feel like they are going to burn in hell because they might make a mistake. if abortion is murder like the church claims then give them other choices of abstinence other than just not having sex period. if the no sex thing was working there would be very very few abortions even needed other than medical reasons. so lets make sure the churches.........most or many of them.....share in the guilt. by the same token. if abortion is murder and you use abortion as a form of birth control you are a piece of crap as well. eduation and compromise is a small thing to pay to save a life. and i did not touch on poor folks etc because y'all already covered that.

Archived