Countdown to kick off!

ncaajunkie

One of the greatest plays in Auburn history involved #2 dragging #7 into the end zone. 

peterson-and-newton-roy_original.jpg

Auburn_vs_LSU_054.jpg

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super Mario

107234674-612x612.jpg

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

One of the greatest plays in Auburn history involved #2 dragging #7 into the end zone. 

peterson-and-newton-roy_original.jpg

Auburn_vs_LSU_054.jpg

Noticed that Fannin is in the top picture too. Pretty nice choice of a pic for this day. 

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Noticed that Fannin is in the top picture too. Pretty nice choice of a pic for this day. 

I saw that but didn't know how to reference it and keep it in context.  Thanks for bringing that up.  I like that pic too because it shows where Cam first set his eyes on Peterson, the 20 yard line! It's also from an LSU source which I found interesting. 

Justin Garrett

A9BCDF38-05C5-4A1D-A647-4007DCA0FD76.jpeg

92D15D0A-3584-41D4-9062-BDD227C5647E.jpeg

34D7FE04-F48C-4A2B-8ACE-2AFE81F7A5B8.jpeg

On 8/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, WFE12 said:

More love for Trigga! One of my favorite players to come through here.

IMG_1355.JPG

Jeez. The Matthews family dresses well. 

Billy Edge  DB  #27    1963.    He and I helped each other through Statistics that year. 

Billy Edge football card (Auburn Tigers) 1989 Collegiate Collection Coca Cola #256 

Peyton Barber

9FA19F13-0DBF-4BB9-A66E-FD31F9CF2E20.jpeg

96EE1697-6470-4B3F-8D5B-D1631E610EA4.jpeg

Carnell with a nice Heisman pose.

Screenshot_20180808-052218~2.png

On 8/7/2018 at 6:25 AM, gr82be said:

8934165-large.jpg

Interesting how little he gets remembered despite being one of the meanest, most hard-hitting SOBs to come out of Auburn in the last 10+ years and having one of the better NFL careers of any defensive player in the same time frame. 

On 8/6/2018 at 8:08 AM, AU64 said:

Billy Edge  DB  #27    1963.    He and I helped each other through Statistics that year. 

Billy Edge football card (Auburn Tigers) 1989 Collegiate Collection Coca Cola #256 

Nice memory. It also surprises me that # 27 came and went with nobody mentioning Buddy McClinton, AU's all-time interception leader. McClinton was 1st team all-American in 1969, set school single season interception record with 9 and career interception record with 18.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Nice memory. It also surprises me that # 27 came and went with nobody mentioning Buddy McClinton, AU's all-time interception leader. McClinton was 1st team all-American in 1969, set school single season interception record with 9 and career interception record with 18.

Too many young guys on here who were still in the crib in the 1990s...much less being able to think back that far.  

As for Billy....he offered me a couple tickets to the Orange Bowl for helping with Statistics....one of my regrets was not taking them...but too far to travel and I barely had enough money to get home for Christmas ….and to start my co-op job.    A game AU should /could have won in my view....but Sidle was not full speed and that made a difference.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:
22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Too many young guys on here who were still in the crib in the 1990s...much less being able to think back that far.  

As for Billy....he offered me a couple tickets to the Orange Bowl for helping with Statistics....one of my regrets was not taking them...but too far to travel and I barely had enough money to get home for Christmas ….and to start my co-op job.    A game AU should /could have won in my view....but Sidle was not full speed and that made a difference.

Probably true enough.

I only know of the exploits of Sullivan to Beasley and the beauty of Shug's manner through hearing about them from my Mom & Dad.  I wasn't even a gleam, as they say, in '69...

I cut my teeth on Joe Cribbs, James Brooks & William Andrews (first games I actually remember attending as a youngster).  Pat Dye was hired when I was 9 years old and Bo won the Heisman when I was 13.  The football of my childhood, that I grew up on, couldn't have been more perfect TBH.

Probably why I love AU football so much.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Probably true enough.

I only know of the exploits of Sullivan to Beasley and the beauty of Shug's manner through hearing about them from my Mom & Dad.  I wasn't even a gleam, as they say, in '69...

I cut my teeth on Joe Cribbs, James Brooks & William Andrews (first games I actually remember attending as a youngster).  Pat Dye was hired when I was 9 years old and Bo won the Heisman when I was 13.  The football of my childhood, that I grew up on, couldn't have been more perfect TBH.

Probably why I love AU football so much.

Those were some great years you mention.     AU was in "jail" my whole time in school and the penalties took their toll on the program...no TV coverage of course, no bowl games, etc.   Took some time to get over that.   Getting Sullivan was a big turnaround for the fortunes of Auburn and more games on TV too.  I was still working down south during those years and got to see several AU games in person in the early 70s...including the game at Georgia when Sullivan pretty much nailed down his Heisman.  

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/looking-back-pat-sullivan-recalls-td-pass-that-lifted-auburn-past-georgia-in-71/1919bcej6cixo1ohyt3jic6hj8

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Those were some great years you mention.     AU was in "jail" my whole time in school and the penalties took their toll on the program...no TV coverage of course, no bowl games, etc.   Took some time to get over that.   Getting Sullivan was a big turnaround for the fortunes of Auburn and more games on TV too.  I was still working down south during those years and got to see several AU games in person in the early 70s...including the game at Georgia when Sullivan pretty much nailed down his Heisman.  

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/looking-back-pat-sullivan-recalls-td-pass-that-lifted-auburn-past-georgia-in-71/1919bcej6cixo1ohyt3jic6hj8

Yes, I had a fantastic "AU Football" childhood.

Great link, thanks!!

314BCEDC-B402-4CCD-BCF2-1F4714B33DF4.jpeg

ECC2F1D5-47A0-4D4A-BDED-585CB26960AE.jpeg

That run against bama….one of the all time best opening plays of a game....just your basic trap that could have gone for 3 yards.....or in this case, went for the distance.....thanks for the link...

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

That Orange Bowl game was my first Auburn game to attend in person. According to center Jerry Popwell, the coaches worked the team's butts off all pre-game practice and then turned them loose the night before the game with no curfew. Pop told me they didn't sober up until half time, which is kinda' how it looked on the field. Ran into Tucker Fredrickson in a hotel lobby. My first wife went into a panting heat, thought I was going to have to toss her into the pool to cool her off. Sat just a few rows away from Richard Nixon, thanks to some friend of my mom's who was on the Orange Bowl Committee and could get great tickets. All in all, a memorable time in Miami even if we didn't win. Sorry you missed it.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Buddy was a hell of a guy

69CFCECE-BEF2-4E3F-8ED2-E274F3BF72BF.jpeg

13CB6217-1F43-4728-B927-4D8B63D122A2.jpeg

Terry Henley - 72 Amazins. 

TerryHenley.png

6 hours ago, ncaajunkie said:

69CFCECE-BEF2-4E3F-8ED2-E274F3BF72BF.jpeg

13CB6217-1F43-4728-B927-4D8B63D122A2.jpeg

This maybe semi-AU-blasphemus but I was actually a bigger fan of Ronnie than Caddy.

Archived