Jamel Dean Top 50 underrated player

WFE12

Athlon Sports

Jamel Dean, CB, Auburn

auburn-tigers.pngCarlton Davis will be missed, but Dean is capable of sliding into the No. 1 cornerback role. According to Pro Football Focus, Dean graded out at 87.1 last season, which places him among the top returning Power 5 cornerbacks in college football for 2018. Over 14 appearances last fall, Dean recorded 43 stops and eight pass breakups.

link

I really like the potential of our starting CBs. Depth concerns me but our starters should be able to stack up with any CB duo in the conference. Probably the last year we get to enjoy the fruits of Muschamp and TRobs recruiting efforts in the secondary. 

Our defense is gonna be so beastly. Safety still concerns me from an experience standpoint, but the unit will be one of the best in the country again.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I really like the potential of our starting CBs. Depth concerns me but our starters should be able to stack up with any CB duo in the conference. Probably the last year we get to enjoy the fruits of Muschamp and TRobs recruiting efforts in the secondary. 

It will be the last of their recruits, but we have recruited extremely well the past few years. We will be fine. 

Dean is a great player. I don't think we will see much of a drop off from Carlton Davis out of Dean. 

On 7/14/2018 at 2:15 AM, AU80cruiser said:

Isn't he a little on the slow side considering his position?

Listed as a Feldman "freak" this year, but

barely in the Top Ten

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/sec/article214840530.html

On 7/14/2018 at 2:15 AM, AU80cruiser said:

Isn't he a little on the slow side considering his position?

This offseason, measuring in at 6-1, 215, Dean ran an electronically timed 4.3 40-yard dash. So No... He isn't even just a little on the slow side. He is one of the fastest players on the team.

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Listed as a Feldman "freak" this year, but

barely in the Top Ten

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/sec/article214840530.html

Barely making the top 10 or not, making the top 10 on that list is impressive to say the least... Here is the full listing of Dean in the original article (I used my last free one for this) 

"Ohio State had declared Dean medically ineligible in the spring of 2015 after he suffered multiple knee surgeries in high school. He transferred to Auburn, where the Tigers now have a super-fast corner with almost linebacker size who made 43 tackles in 2017 and made the SEC Academic Honor Roll. 

This offseason, measuring in at 6-1, 215, Dean ran an electronically timed 4.3 40-yard dash. He also vertical jumped 38 inches and broad jumped 10-8. As fast as Dean is, he won’t be the fastest Tiger on the team. Auburn probably will have the fastest football player in the country in freshman wideout Anthony Schwartz, who finished second (10.22) in the 100 meters at the IAAF World U20 Championships this week in Tampere, Finland. The 6-0, 180-pounder from Fort Lauderdale has been clocked at 10.02 in the 100 and hopes to make the 2020 U.S. Olympic team."

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Dean is very fast.  And he probably wind up being our 3rd fastest CB, after JDavis and Noah.  That’s a scary fast secondary gentlemen!

And all of those take a back seat to incoming Anthony Schwartz

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This offseason, measuring in at 6-1, 215, Dean ran an electronically timed 4.3 40-yard dash. So No... He isn't even just a little on the slow side. He is one of the fastest players on the team.

Barely making the top 10 or not, making the top 10 on that list is impressive to say the least... Here is the full listing of Dean in the original article (I used my last free one for this) 

"Ohio State had declared Dean medically ineligible in the spring of 2015 after he suffered multiple knee surgeries in high school. He transferred to Auburn, where the Tigers now have a super-fast corner with almost linebacker size who made 43 tackles in 2017 and made the SEC Academic Honor Roll. 

This offseason, measuring in at 6-1, 215, Dean ran an electronically timed 4.3 40-yard dash. He also vertical jumped 38 inches and broad jumped 10-8. As fast as Dean is, he won’t be the fastest Tiger on the team. Auburn probably will have the fastest football player in the country in freshman wideout Anthony Schwartz, who finished second (10.22) in the 100 meters at the IAAF World U20 Championships this week in Tampere, Finland. The 6-0, 180-pounder from Fort Lauderdale has been clocked at 10.02 in the 100 and hopes to make the 2020 U.S. Olympic team."

He's also had a couple knee surgeries. When was that time done, pre or post operations?

I swear I remember someone saying he was moving slow considering his position last season.

34 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

He's also had a couple knee surgeries. When was that time done, pre or post operations?

I swear I remember someone saying he was moving slow considering his position last season.

It was an article written recently, and it's talking about incoming freshmen Anthony Schwartz. In the article, it says he was electronically timed at 4.3 this offseason, so it would be post operations. He has had both knees worked on. 

This is something we really need to work on. Our secondaries have had this problem for years. Hopefully Dean can defend no.1 deep threats without interfering.

after our starting group (Dinson, Dean, Davis & Thomas), who are the possible backups to these DBs? I hear that depth could be an issue.  I wonder if any true freshmen will see the field?  Thanks for the reply & WDE!

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

after our starting group (Dinson, Dean, Davis & Thomas), who are the possible backups to these DBs? I hear that depth could be an issue.  I wonder if any true freshmen will see the field?  Thanks for the reply & WDE!

Thomas        Sherwood       

Noah                                                 Tutt

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Thomas        Sherwood       

You think Smoke could start and have Thomas/Peters play Nickel/Dime? That’s kinda where I’m hoping we will end up eventually.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Thomas        Sherwood       

I thought Noah had been moved to WR. Where does Jordyn Peters and Traivon Leonard play into the depth situation?  I thought they saw the field last season.  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

You think Smoke could start and have Thomas/Peters play Nickel/Dime? That’s kinda where I’m hoping we will end up eventually.

Yes and I expect Peters to hold on to the nickle spot.  That said, I would be happy to be very wrong about DT.

17 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I thought Noah had been moved to WR. Where does Jordyn Peters and Traivon Leonard play into the depth situation?  I thought they saw the field last season.  Thanks!

He moved FROM receiver TO corner

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes and I expect Peters to hold on to the nickle spot.  That said, I would be happy to be very wrong about DT.

Gotcha! I’m comfortable with the talent of our complete 2 deep DBs buuuut I’m cautious about how it will all turn out.

18 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So @bigbird, just to be clear, you are expecting starting 5 to be:

CB: JDavis, Dean

S: Dinson, Smoke

N: Peters

So then 2nd team would be something like:

CB: Noah, Tutt

S: Sherwood, Thomas

N: Thomas?

I expect Smoke to start eventually. The sooner the better IMO. 2nd team nickle could be anyone. 

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I expect Smoke to start eventually. The sooner the better IMO. 2nd team nickle could be anyone. 

10-4.  Thank you. 

I like our talent situation, but concerned about depth early on with 3 TF, 1 recently converted WR, and Thomas who may or may not be SEC DB material, all in our 2 deep.  If Dinson has to miss time early, then YIKES!!!

Archived