JS:We don't want to be just really close again

WFE12

Jarrett Stidham: We don't want to be 'just really close' again

Sam Hellman

Fueled by an SEC Championship loss to Georgia and bowl-game loss to undefeated UCF, Stidham announced his return to school quickly after the season’s end. Before Stidham thinks NFL, he plans to finish what was started under coach Gus Malzahn last season. The way Stidham, and many at Auburn, picture things, the Tigers were one quarter away from a potential title run. 

"I'm looking forward to us finishing out this season,” Stidham told ESPN. “We were, in my opinion, one quarter away from the College Football Playoff last season, so I'm looking forward to this team getting over that hump. I think we're going to have a really, really good football team. We may be even better than last year, and I thought last year we were really good. We just didn't finish the way we wanted to, and the main thing this year is finishing when it matters the most. We don't want to be just really close again."

Stidham was one of a select group of top-level quarterbacks selected to comment. The piece featured quotes from 50 college football faces in honor of the number of days until kickoff. Stidham joined fellow quarterback All-America candidates Tua TagovailoaMcKenzie MiltonKhalil TateMalik RosierJake FrommTrace McSorley and Shea Patterson.

Stidham has plenty of reasons to be excited, adding more freedom in Auburn’s offense.

The quarterback will have the ability to check out of plays and audible into new ones he believes are better fits against opposing defenses. Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey have made that clear this summer as they prepare to welcome back a 3,000-yard passer, a first in program history.

“Now that I understand what we're doing on offense, I know how they're thinking, having the ability to check plays on my own and to get us into certain things against certain coverages or whatever it may be, we've talked a lot about that,” Stidham said at the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., according to AL.com. “And I think you'll see this year that kind of progress for myself.”

Earlier this week, Sports Illustrated also put Stidham under the national microscope. Polling various NFL quarterback minds, one anonymous executive feels great about Auburn’s quarterback at the next level.

“He’s got the best arm talent,” said one NFC exec. “He looks like a very talented kid.” As is the case with Lock, there’s skepticism around the simple offense he runs at Auburn, but by all accounts, he’s a sharp kid.”

15 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

there’s skepticism around the simple offense he runs at Auburn, but by all accounts, he’s a sharp kid.”

He could make the right read/ checkdown/ audible 100/100 times and someone is still going to complain about our offense as if he’s just a product or a robot in the system. 

It will take a lot to accomplish what we need to do but I really believe this team has the talent to do so. The season will take a major toll on the team and if we have the injury luck in the season that we've had so far we are royally screwed. We can't put too much our players either...I was watching the replay of the iron bowl last night and I couldn't even watch when KJ fell to the ground untouched. No one on the team should go through that. We have talent across the board.

I hope the OL will be able to keep him healthy all season. If they do, and do it well we can win every game on the schedule with a hoss like Stidham behind center. 

“We were, in my opinion, one quarter away from the College Football Playoff last season"

Does he mean 4th quarter vs Georgia #2? I don't see it that way

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

It was 13-7 UGA heading into the 4th. I think that is what he was referring to, the fact that Auburn was a TD from having the lead at that time. 

32 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

4th qtr UGA² Or 4th qtr LSU either one

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

4th qtr UGA² Or 4th qtr LSU either one

I don’t think we get into the CFP with the win against LSU and still get thumped by uga in the SECCG.   

But if we beat uga the second time around as well, it’s a no-brainer.  We’re in!  So if we want to argue a 22 point swing in that final Q against uga then sure, we were 1 Q away from the CFP.  But 22 points? Really?  I’m more comfortable saying we were 1 game away from the CFP.   But either way it doesn’t matter now.  I hope he’s right and we’re not “just close” this year.   Game On!

3 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Way off topic but I didn't need to start a thread, when is fan day, thanks!

Aug 11. 3:30 p.m. CT

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I don’t think we get into the CFP with the win against LSU and still get thumped by uga in the SECCG.   

But if we beat uga the second time around as well, it’s a no-brainer.  We’re in!  So if we want to argue a 22 point swing in that final Q against uga then sure, we were 1 Q away from the CFP.  But 22 points? Really?  I’m more comfortable saying we were 1 game away from the CFP.   But either way it doesn’t matter now.  I hope he’s right and we’re not “just close” this year.   Game On!

There is no way we are left out of the playoffs if we only lose to ACC champion Clemson and SEC championship UGA. 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is no way we are left out of the playoffs if we only lose to ACC champion Clemson and SEC championship UGA. 

Over SEC Champ uga?

over 1 loss media darling bama?

over the 1 loss ACC champ Clemson that beat us?

or over 1 loss Big 12 Champ OU?

I seriously doubt it.  However, I realize the total futility of a debate like this. 

Lets just win ‘em all this year so there’s no debate!

55 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Over SEC Champ uga?

I seriously doubt it.  However, I realize the total futility of a debate like this. 

1 loss Bama got over us because we had 3 losses. That is the problem.

why would we get over 1 loss Clemson? They are ACC champions

Why would we get over 1 loss OU? 

They were big 12 champions.

We wouldn’t have gotten over UGA.

The only teams we would’ve had to worry about is tOSU and Bama.

it really isn’t an argument of futility . There is a good chance this argument will be happening every year since it is nearly impossible to go undefeated in the SEC with our schedule. The key is NOT losing games you are SUPPOSED to win. The Committee has already shown they will give a 2 loss SEC team the benefit of a doubt (which is unprecedented in itself). You realize this year we open with a team who is favorite to win the PAC 12 in addition to having to play the favorite to win the SEC east and Bama who is a powerhouse? That is three probable playoff teams. It is unrealistic to think we will get through all of that unscathed. It would be nice but extremely difficult.

Even the mighty crimson tide hasn’t been undefeated since 2009.

4 hours ago, api1957 said:

Way off topic but I didn't need to start a thread, when is fan day, thanks!

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Aug 11. 3:30 p.m. CT

I thought everyday was fan day??  No??  

8 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Over SEC Champ uga?

Bama would've been left out.

I know there is like no way he returns after this year, but I love me some JS! He will be a stronger leader and evolve more as a player this year. Glad he’s part of the fam...still will miss KJ this year. 

I’m just excited JS gets to audible this year. Next yr we’ll be back to the no audible/meerkat offense. 

On 7/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

I think what Stidham means, that going into the 4th Qtr down by less than 7 in a championship game, gives the team a feeling they can win that game. Remember we were driving at that time and on or around the 50 when the quarter started. It went down hill though once KJ fumbled on the first play of the 4th qtr. Davis returned it to around our 38,  and it opened the floodgates when the D couldn't hold them. No, it doesn't matter now, but to Stidham, he is using it as a starting point for this season to get back to the Championship game.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I think what Stidham means, that going into the 4th Qtr down by less than 7 in a championship game, gives the team a feeling they can win that game. Remember we were driving at that time and on or around the 50 when the quarter started. It went down hill though once KJ fumbled on the first play of the 4th qtr. Davis returned it to around our 38,  and it opened the floodgates when the D couldn't hold them. No, it doesn't matter now, but to Stidham, he is using it as a starting point for this season to get back to the Championship game.

As angry as I remain about the coaching in the game, I agree with this. We still had a chance until KJ fumbled that ball.

(No, this isn't a KJ gripe. At all.)

On 7/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, DAG said:

1 loss Bama got over us because we had 3 losses. That is the problem.

why would we get over 1 loss Clemson? They are ACC champions

Why would we get over 1 loss OU? 

They were big 12 champions.

We wouldn’t have gotten over UGA.

The only teams we would’ve had to worry about is tOSU and Bama.

it really isn’t an argument of futility . There is a good chance this argument will be happening every year since it is nearly impossible to go undefeated in the SEC with our schedule. The key is NOT losing games you are SUPPOSED to win. The Committee has already shown they will give a 2 loss SEC team the benefit of a doubt (which is unprecedented in itself). You realize this year we open with a team who is favorite to win the PAC 12 in addition to having to play the favorite to win the SEC east and Bama who is a powerhouse? That is three probable playoff teams. It is unrealistic to think we will get through all of that unscathed. It would be nice but extremely difficult.

Even the mighty crimson tide hasn’t been undefeated since 2009.

I think something similar to this happens almost every year until the field is expanded. 

On 7/13/2018 at 5:24 AM, bigbird said:

Bama would've been left out.

I think there is 0 chance this happens. If the committee showed anything, it showed that they want Bama in the CFP, and they will set any precedence to get Bama in the field. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As angry as I remain about the coaching in the game, I agree with this. We still had a chance until KJ fumbled that ball.

(No, this isn't a KJ gripe. At all.)

I still put that on coaching. KJ should not have sniffed that game, much less been our only RB to play (or only one to play a majority of the game.) Coaching neglected to have RB2 ready to become RB1. Coaching ran KJ into the ground. Yes, KJ dropped the ball, but he had one working shoulder. He never should of been in the position to fumble that ball in my opinion. 

A 2 loss team that lost to SEC champs and ACC champs, beats Bama head to head, and wins the SEC west gets in over Bama. Period

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think something similar to this happens almost every year until the field is expanded. 

I think there is 0 chance this happens. If the committee showed anything, it showed that they want Bama in the CFP, and they will set any precedence to get Bama in the field. 

I still put that on coaching. KJ should not have sniffed that game, much less been our only RB to play (or only one to play a majority of the game.) Coaching neglected to have RB2 ready to become RB1. Coaching ran KJ into the ground. Yes, KJ dropped the ball, but he had one working shoulder. He never should of been in the position to fumble that ball in my opinion. 

Bama deserved to be in the playoffs last year only because Auburn had 3 losses, and there wasn't another team with a better resume. Auburn wins the LSU game, the committee was not going to put Alabama in over a team that they just lost to. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

A 2 loss team that lost to SEC champs and ACC champs, beats Bama head to head, and wins the SEC west gets in over Bama. Period

1 hour ago, Barney said:

Bama deserved to be in the playoffs last year only because Auburn had 3 losses, and there wasn't another team with a better resume. Auburn wins the LSU game, the committee was not going to put Alabama in over a team that they just lost to. 

I misunderstood. I wasn't seeing it being a 2 loss team. This is assuming we beat LSU. I must have missed that part. My apologies to bird. 

Archived