SEC Storied: Rowdy

AUloggerhead

FYI -- the SEC Channel will be airing a SEC Storied show about Rowdy Gaines on Monday, July 16th, 4pm pacific time (2 pm central.)  Already have the DVR set. 

Who watched it (besides me?)  I thought Hannah Storm did a great job with it.  After seeing "You don't know Bo" and "Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt," this documentary belongs right there alongside them.  Rowdy's story is very compelling and he is also a fantastic ambassador of AU just as much as the Big 3 and the Heisman winners.  Best line: 

Nothing would have been better than for us to have gone to those (Moscow -- 1980) Olympic games and kicked their ass.  --Rowdy Gaines

WDE Rowdy

Just watched this last night.  Really great story on him.  To top it all off they had Michael Phelps talk about him as well.  Had no idea Gaines was the announcer for all of Phelps' runs.  Blew my mind.

• 5 weeks later...

Great documentary. I'm so old that I saw Rowdy swim at Auburn. Biggest thing I didn't know: Rowdy and Joan Jett were together for five months.

Jimmy Carter making us boycott those 1980 Olympics was a tragic, tragic thing. Not just for Rowdy. Think of the hundreds of American athletes that had managed their lives for those games and then were forbidden to go. All for no avail. The only thing it did besides damaging a number of our young people was to have Russia boycott Los Angeles four years later.

Archived