Chickfila Kickoff vs. North Carolina 2020

WFE12

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe the 2017 edition taught our coach a hard lesson after 2016 failed to. 

The lesson is get a d line that lives in your opponents backfield and you can make the playoffs with an average to good Qb.  I’m talking about Bryant and not Deshaun.

Ive made the case before that Gus and Dabo have similar trajectories so far with Gus being a couple seasons behind.  Dabo almost got fired post 2010 but turned it around and is a 10+ win team.

It can also be argued that this is Gus’s first complete Gus team.  Feb 2013 would have be a mix of Gus and Chiz so Feb 2014 was the first full recruited Gus team.  Fast forward 4 years and here we are.  Lord knows there is talent and depth.  Time for Gus and Auburn to take the next step.

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The lesson is get a d line that lives in your opponents backfield and you can make the playoffs with an average to good Qb.  I’m talking about Bryant and not Deshaun.

Disagree. The lesson in 2016 should have been that Gus needs to focus on his team and what their strengths are instead of trying to come up with some laffy taffy Pop Warner BS game plan to avoid playing real football against a team that you decided was superior to yours before they even got off the bus. Trust me, I am not pulling this idea out of thin air.

2017 was less egregious in terms of game plan, but somehow more egregious in terms of production. We put up 117 yards of total offense and surrendered 11 sacks. At no point in the last 30 years or more has Auburn been that much less talented and experienced than the opponent. Clemson's DL was absolutely not *that* good. Gus again lacked faith in his players to execute a diverse, aggressive game plan, just like he has multiple times over the last few seasons. It seems that the 2nd half of the LSU game might have nailed the coffin shut on "that" Gus but we'll find out against Washington. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe the 2017 edition taught our coach a hard lesson after 2016 failed to. 

Pandora did find Hope at the bottom of her damn' box.

19 hours ago, WFE12 said:

How soon you forget that teams we schedule are much better teams at the time we face them.

Haha....I don't mean to "dude you" but were you there when Boomer E and Maryland came to Auburn as our HC opponent?  I have totally seen first hand what you mean.   I could go on, but so could you I am sure.  

Just saying I can't think of a team that is consistently so very overrated in which we could make a quick jump in the polls by beating early on.   Historically speaking, it would be aa great match-up for Auburn in Sept (assuming Coach Gus could learn how to prep a team for August vs October).  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Haha....I don't mean to "dude you" but were you there when Boomer E and Maryland came to Auburn as our HC opponent?  I have totally seen first hand what you mean.   I could go on, but so could you I am sure.  

Just saying I can't think of a team that is consistently so very overrated in which we could make a quick jump in the polls by beating early on.   Historically speaking, it would be aa great match-up for Auburn in Sept (assuming Coach Gus could learn how to prep a team for August vs October).  

We'll see.

Archived