Updated 247 Rankings (7/12/18)

toddc

Owen Pappoe gets 5th star; other commits move up in new rankings

By Keith Niebuhr

Owen Pappoe began getting offers in the eighth grade and quickly became one of the most prominent members nationally in the 2019 recruiting class. Earlier this month, he shined at The Opening, a prestigious camp/7-on-7 event for elite recruits across the country.

For his efforts, the Auburn linebacker commit from Grayson (Ga.) got a nice bump in the rankings -- and earned his fifth star from 247Sports -- when a rankings update was released Thursday afternoon.

Pappoe, who gave his pledge to Auburn on May 1, is now the No. 10 recruit nationally in the 247Sports rankings. That's up from No. 20. He already was a 5-star in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, which factors in rankings from 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN.

Pappoe is the highest-rated Auburn commit but he isn't the only one to see his ranking rise.

Receiver George Pickens of Hoover (Ala.), went from No. 67 overall to No. 52 after a stellar showing at The Opening, where he finished with more receptions and touchdown catches than his teammate, 5-star Georgia commit Jadon Haselwood. If Pickens performs at a high level during his senior season and at the Under Armour All-America Game, he could push for a fifth star.

Quarterback Bo Nix of Pinson Valley (Ala.) also moved up -- and by a significant amount. Nix, who led his team to a 15-0 record and state championship in 2018, now is the No. 98 overall recruit nationally -- up from No. 177. Nix is the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country. He arguably was one of the best two quarterbacks from start to finish at The Opening. With his big jump in the 247Sports rankings, a nice move should follow in the 247Sports Composite (where he No. 68) once all the numbers are punched in.

Also of note ....

-Auburn defensive end commit Jaren Handy of Hattiesburg (Miss.) went down, but only slightly. While his rating (94) stayed the same, his ranking went from No. 71 to No. 78.

-Auburn athlete commit Jashawn Sheffield of St. Simons Island (Ga.) Frederica Academy moved up from No. 174 to No. 172. His rating stayed as a 92.

-Tigers tight end commit Tyler Fromm of Warner Robins (Ga.) moved up again, this time from No. 240 to No. 212. His rating went from a 90 to a 91.

-Another Auburn tight end commit, Luke Deal of Greenwood (S.C.) Emerald, is the No. 247 prospect in the Top247. He stayed exactly where he was.

-Four-star offensive guard target Keiondre Jones of Hogansville (Ga.) Callaway, who will announce his college choice Saturday (Auburn is the favorite), fell from No. 189 to No. 207. His rating dropped from a 92 to a 91.

-Offensive tackle Wayna Morris of Grayson (Ga.), an Auburn target committed to Tennessee, moved up from No. 62 to No. 14.

-Linebacker target Nakobe Dean of Horn Lake (Miss.) fell from 15th to No. 20.

-Defensive end target Nathan Pickering of Seminary (Miss.) fell from 18th to No. 21.

-Haselwood, an Auburn target from Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove, dropped from 7th to 11th.

-Center Clay Webb of Oxford (Ala.) dropped from No. 40 to No. 47.

-Cornerback Andrew Booth of Lawrenceville (Ga.) Archer went from No. 42 to No. 55. He did not take part is any major camps this spring or summer.

-Linebacker target Rian Davis of Wekiva (Fla.) fell from No. 87 to No. 93.

-Offensive guard target William Putnam of Tampa (Fla.) Plant jumped up from No. 145 to No. 114.

-Buck linebacker target Derick Hall of Gulfport (Miss.) went from No. 116 to No. 119.

-Athlete Mark-Antony Richards of West Palm Beach (Fla.) Wellington dropped to No. 128 from No. 112.

-Linebacker target/Georgia commit Trezman Marshall of Homerville (Ga.) Clinch County fell from No. 128 to No. 130.

-Linebacker target Christian Harris of Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab fell from No. 107 to No. 131.

-Cornerback/safety target Zion Puckett of Griffin (Ga.) Spalding moved up from No. 182 to No. 155.

-Running back Noah Cain of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy fell from No. 100 to No. 242.

-Receiver Jalen Curry of Houston (Texas) St. Pius dropped from No. 210 outside of the Top 247 to No. 575.

• ellitor changed the title to Updated 247 Rankings (7/12/18)
1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

What’s the deal w/ Cain...that’s a huge drop.

Not as big as Boobie. He had a massive drop.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

What’s the deal w/ Cain...that’s a huge drop.

And then there's Curry. Dropped all the way down into the "Average Joe High School" department.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

And then there's Curry. Dropped all the way down into the "Average Joe High School" department.

Why would he have dropped so far?  That is crazy!

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

That is a substantial jump!!!

He's apparently showed out at every camp.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

Thought that didn't happen until after several kids and maybe old age.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

Why would he have dropped so far?  That is crazy!

Must have struggled at 7 on 7 camps. I hope Barton realizes Boobie was playing w/ an injury.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Must have struggled at 7 on 7 camps. I hope Barton realizes Boobie was playing w/ an injury.

Let's hope that other coaches don't realize that, though...

Some other superlatives.

Bo is now the #2 ranked QB by 247. I get Rattler being rated higher than Bo but not that much higher as he is.. Rattler struggled some early in The Opening with a fresh arm. Bo didn't struggle til the end when his arm was tired due to having to take all the snaps for his team that week.

The big 3 in the class of Bo, George, & Owen are all now composite top 50 prospects.

Fromm is now a composite 4* with his bump.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let's hope that other coaches don't realize that, though...

Why?

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why?

So he'll drop on their boards and we'll have an easier time securing his commitment. 

Apologies, I didn't take measures to trigger your sarcasm sensors!

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So he'll drop on their boards and we'll have an easier time securing his commitment.

That just might work if their coaches were some of our fans but alas they're not.

Thanks for giving this it’s own thread @ellitor! I wasn’t sure is why I placed in recruiting. More good news than bad and deserves its own place!

31 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Does any of this shuffling impact our recruiting rankings?

Overall team wise, not yet. Grade per recruit, yes.. Per recruit grade wise we went from 13th to 9th, from 90.81 to 91.16.

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thanks for giving this it’s own thread @ellitor! I wasn’t sure is why I placed in recruiting. More good news than bad and deserves its own place!

:cheers:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

giphy.gif

Just keep watching the loop, thinking "if I focus hard enough, I may catch some naughty bits."

Jeez the bama fans. Wish I could have seen the melty goodness of that BOL thread before the mods chopped it. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Jeez the bama fans. Wish I could have seen the melty goodness of that BOL thread before the mods chopped it. 

?

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

?

You have a PM. 

12 hours ago, AUDub said:

Meeeeee tooooo!!!

Archived