10 wins this year?

gr82b4au

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

We know how that goes...we don’t need anymore overachievers in this league. Hopefully the razorpigs are a bust. 

They most likely will be this year, but in a year or two Morris and his North Texas recruiting will be scary.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Texas A&M is the team that scares me.  I could very easily see Auburn starting 8-0 and struggling with aTm.  The way Auburn has beat MooState the past two years I have a hard time buying the hype.  Fitzgerald throws a lot of pics and a new coaching staff is going to come with some growing pains.  LSU could be a blood bath similar to 14.  This is the game that gets the LSU faithful unhappy.  No way to know about UGA or Bama.  Both will be good but how good?  

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Texas A&M is the team that scares me.  I could very easily see Auburn starting 8-0 and struggling with aTm.  The way Auburn has beat MooState the past two years I have a hard time buying the hype.  Fitzgerald throws a lot of pics and a new coaching staff is going to come with some growing pains.  LSU could be a blood bath similar to 14.  This is the game that gets the LSU faithful unhappy.  No way to know about UGA or Bama.  Both will be good but how good?  

I actually think UGA takes a step back. Would not be the least bit surprised if LSU beats them TBH. 

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They most likely will be this year, but in a year or two Morris and his North Texas recruiting will be scary.

That’s what the razorpigs fan hood is hoping for. Better Texas recruiting . I am interesting to see how that hoss of a QB does under his offense this year 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think it will come down to the the bowl game. I base that on the fact that we haven’t done it back to back in 30 years. I believe there are several teams on our schedule who will be better than many are predicting. 

Well if winning the bowl game is what it is going to come down to when it comes to breaking our back to back winning 10 games curse I think the last 5 seasons we have got our answer on what to expect then....................

politics.gif

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well if winning the bowl game is what it is going to come down to when it comes to breaking our back to back winning 10 games curse I think the last 5 seasons we have got our answer on what to expect then....................

politics.gif

No go on bowl games. We just aren’t motivated . I mean they don’t really mean anything ?! Am I right ?!

Just now, DAG said:

No go on bowl games. We just aren’t motivated . I mean they don’t really mean anything ?! Am I right ?!

That was a eye gouging way to start the off season topic season with that debate!!!! lol. I will not forget that one for a long time.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That was a eye gouging way to start the off season topic season with that debate!!!! lol. I will not forget that one for a long time.

Good times. That is right up there with the SW vs JS debate.

It all comes down to the OL in winning 10 games or more......................OL OL OL.................and if you want to see JH get upgraded we better win 10 games or more

2 hours ago, DAG said:

What the heck why? I am guessing because of what they are returning , specifically at QB?

They have some serious talent in their defensive front 7. Don’t have our depth, but their first teamers there are pretty good. Plus those cowbells. ????

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, you're just full of good news. >:(

We WILL win > 10 games this season if Stidham stays healthy.

We will win 6 if Stidham doesn’t remain healthy

I don't get the Moo State love. Their "star" QB may not ever return to his pre injury ability. It wouldn't surprise me if he never becomes half the player he once was, and even then he wasn't a superstar. 

Of course LSU is going to be tough, and A&M with Jimbo will be good, but it could take a year or 3 getting the players for his system. If 2012 showed us anything, it showed us swapping to a pro style offense when every single player was recruited for a spread system can take your team through considerable growing pains. I'm more concerned with Tennessee than Moo State. Everyone is just overlooking Tennessee and counting it as an auto win. One thing Butch Jones never did was recruiting terribly. He stacked that team with talent. If Pruitt can handle head coaching responsibilities, that team could very well be a real surprise in the East. They worry me much more so than Moo State... 

15 hours ago, lost said:

New coaches--  we will see.  But with Gus all things are possible.  Who said he wasn't god...   lol

That's some funny shiznit right there, I don't care who you are. 

13 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

The talent is there.   The staff is there. It's really up to Gus.  If he can leave Chip alone, or get back to his pre Jeremy Johnson play calling then Gus well  be able  to accomplish 10 wins with ease.

I wouldn't say "with ease" but I hope we get there. Us winning 10+ in back to back seasons has happened once in over 100 years of Auburn football. Apparently us doing that will never come "with ease." Also if he reverts back to pre JJ6 play calling, we would be running a majority of read options. That wouldn't work so well with Stidham, especially with a shaky OL. 

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Good times. That is right up there with the SW vs JS debate.

There is no debate there. I love SW and what he did for Auburn, but I (as a 40 year old white male) compare to Cadillac as much as SW compares to Stidham... 

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I wouldn't say "with ease" but I hope we get there. Us winning 10+ in back to back seasons has happened once in over 100 years of Auburn football. Apparently us doing that will never come "with ease." Also if he reverts back to pre JJ6 play calling, we would be running a majority of read options. That wouldn't work so well with Stidham, especially with a shaky OL.

I'll say with ease.

As far as the play calling you, as  with most of us go back  only as far as Gus as OUR HC when he decided to create the Read Option offense around Marshals abilities.  When Jeremy Johnson took over, the Louisille and JSU games Gus did not  run it up  the middle  every first down.  At the beginning of the 2013 season Gus didn't run it  up the middle every first down.. At Ark  State Gus did  not run it up  the middle every first  down.  As our OC with both Cam and Todd,Gus did not run it up the  middle every first down.  At Tulsa Gus did not run it up the middle every first down.  Gus used through screens, wheel routes, used other run plays on first down.  Once Gus benched Jeremy in favor of White for  the 2015 Miss State game, IMO because the season turned south in a hurry and with Jacobs as AD Gus panicked went back  to  the last thing that worked and took his pro-style QB and tried  to run the read option offense to  salvage the season and save his job.  Ever since Gus has been stuck in the run it  up the gut every first down mode.  Now I do not know if  that will change now that Jacobs is gone but I would  like to think so.  Also Gus was only heavy on read  options with Nick.  Gus ran a variety of plays before  NIck, and planned on doing that again post  Nick.   I believe in 2015 Jeremy Johnson wasn't  the only one that developed  mental  issues.   Gus lost his swagger  hat  season.  I want him to get that swagger back.  We will stompLSU.  A&M worries me ,we have yet to beat them at home.  Then there is Amen corner.  9-3 regular season.  Gus needs to  step it up in his bowl games,

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

I believe in 2015 Jeremy Johnson wasn't  the only one that developed  mental  issues.   Gus lost his swagger  hat  season. 

Agree with you here. He got shook. Bad.

I actually just typed and deleted a bunch of unnecessary words explaining all my thoughts on that. But I think we saw him make it almost all the way back to Swaggytown this past season. Hopefully he knows the password and he will know how to stay there once he gets back. 

18 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Sept. 1: vs. Washington (in Atlanta) Toss up.  Wash will be a much tougher out than expected
Sept. 8: vs. Alabama State Win
Sept. 15: vs. LSU  Win 
Sept. 22: vs. Arkansas Pad the stats so we can brag about them next spring
Sept. 29: vs. Southern Miss See above
Oct. 6: at Mississippi State Win but a much tougher game than we anticipate
Oct. 13: vs. Tennessee  Win but it will be close. Very close. Pruitt knows how to stop this offense
Oct. 20: at Ole Miss Win
Nov. 3: vs. Texas A&M Win but too many are underestimating Fisher in this one
Nov. 10: at Georgia Loss.  Only thing that will change my mind is if Gus shows Kirby something different this time
Nov. 17: vs. Liberty Stat padder
Nov. 24: at Alabama Loss.  Well played close Iron Bowl

My prediction is 9-3 with another letdown in a bowl game ending the season at 9-4

I think we go 10-2 at minimum.  Of the big concerns/games:

- The o-line, while inexperienced, I think will be so much more well coached with Hand gone.  Having seen past results, I trust Grimes to whip that unit into shape fairly quick.

- I'm not as concerned about Washington as most due to matchups.  If you've actually sat down to watch the Huskies the last few years, they struggle mightily against teams with big, fast defensive linemen.  We have 8-10 of those guys.  Washington can be dominated physically.  Look at four of their last five losses:  Penn State, Stanford, USC, & Bama.  All of those teams are as good or better at the LOS than UW.

- MSU will be better, but I think they're another year away with the new coaching staff.  Plus we've beaten them handily the last two years.  I can't buy into the hype there until I see it.

- We should sweep our home schedule.  There's no one coming to JHS this year that is even on par with our roster.  Maybe LSU could make that claim based on recruiting services, but they still have Da Coach O on the sidelines.

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

- The o-line, while inexperienced, I think will be so much more well coached with Hand gone.  Having seen past results, I trust Grimes to whip that unit into shape fairly quick.

Yup. It's been said elsewhere, but it's not like our OL was good last year. Of the 3 starters gone, only 1 got drafted. I'll love Casey Dunn and Austin Golson forever, but we could possibly improve upon both. And the drop-off from Smith to Harrell may or may not be significant, but Harrell is *good* at worst.

- I'm not as concerned about Washington as most due to matchups.  If you've actually sat down to watch the Huskies the last few years, they struggle mightily against teams with big, fast defensive linemen.  We have 8-10 of those guys.  Washington can be dominated physically.  Look at four of their last five losses:  Penn State, Stanford, USC, & Bama.  All of those teams are as good or better at the LOS than UW.

My concern with that game isn't with the opponent. If Gus coaches as though he knows his team is as good as it is, we'll be fine. Unfortunately, he has failed to do this multiple times the last 2 seasons. 

- MSU will be better, but I think they're another year away with the new coaching staff.  Plus we've beaten them handily the last two years.  I can't buy into the hype there until I see it.

Agree. 

- We should sweep our home schedule.  There's no one coming to JHS this year that is even on par with our roster.  Maybe LSU could make that claim based on recruiting services, but they still have Da Coach O on the sidelines.

I would rather get LSU late and TAMU early. I don't see LSU improving much as the season goes on unless Gus gifts them a reason to believe again. Getting them early with our green OL and backfields on both sides isn't ideal. No matter what, they will have athletes. I do see TAMU improving as the season goes on as Fisher finds his footing, unless they have major injuries. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agree with you here. He got shook. Bad.

I actually just typed and deleted a bunch of unnecessary words explaining all my thoughts on that. But I think we saw him make it almost all the way back to Swaggytown this past season. Hopefully he knows the password and he will know how to stay there once he gets back. 

PASSWORD: up, up, down, down, left,  right, left,  right,  A, B, A, B, Select, Start!

23 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Saw one from Danny Sheridan that said we win 8 and that our d-line is "okay". Funny stuff. 

Now I worried because nothing he says comes to fruition. 

I've read this topic and basically agree with most of the posts. However do you know how difficult it is to predict the outcome of these games? If it was just talent, experience and depth, well the rational says we may go 11-1, maybe, but certainly 10-2 in the regular season. After all, subtract the cupcakes from the equation and we are looking at maybe having to win 6 or 7 of the meaningful opponents.  AND, we finally have a defense that we can count on to keep us in any game. But we all know that Gus is the wild card in these predictions. Forget all the above I have just said and use the dart board technique. Your chances of hitting on the outcome will be better. Anything else sounds more like my delusional optimism from years past.  

2 hours ago, auskull said:

I've read this topic and basically agree with most of the posts. However do you know how difficult it is to predict the outcome of these games? If it was just talent, experience and depth, well the rational says we may go 11-1, maybe, but certainly 10-2 in the regular season. After all, subtract the cupcakes from the equation and we are looking at maybe having to win 6 or 7 of the meaningful opponents.  AND, we finally have a defense that we can count on to keep us in any game. But we all know that Gus is the wild card in these predictions. Forget all the above I have just said and use the dart board technique. Your chances of hitting on the outcome will be better. Anything else sounds more like my delusional optimism from years past.  

That's why I'm not making a prediction. The past few years has taught me that each game really depends on which Gus we have on the sidelines. I like him as our coach but I really would like to love him as our coach. 

On 7/12/2018 at 4:40 PM, DAG said:

Respectively disagree. I think history shows us that Auburn will definitely get  challenged by LSU

History shows LSU has won just twice @ AU in the last 9 attempts. 2008 and 2012. Both against two of the worst teams in AU history. AU lost by a combined 7 points in those two games.

That game doesn't concern me in the least.

On 7/12/2018 at 5:03 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Thank you. LSU will get off the bus with a lot of future NFL talent, and so will the Aggies. Miss State will be better than advertised too. 

Welll. Orgeron, an unproven qb, and Steve Ensminger as OC will also be exiting that bus. LSU will struggle to have a winning record this year

Archived