Sign in to follow this  
lost

Pumped about coming Basketball season

Recommended Posts

This coming year what a team is being assembled!  There is going to be size, athleticism, speed to burn at the guard positions and around.  For the 1st time since Bruce has been here he will have the complete team.  A true center to work with and athleticism to spell him with plenty of spring in their legs.  We should lead or be at the top of the league in rebounds , assists and scoring. and defense.  Of course Ky and S Carolina and others will have to be dealt with as the SEC IS STRONG AGAIN.  But i can not wait for Basketball to begin.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




42 minutes ago, lost said:

This coming year what a team is being assembled!  There is going to be size, athleticism, speed to burn at the guard positions and around.  For the 1st time since Bruce has been here he will have the complete team.  A true center to work with and athleticism to spell him with plenty of spring in their legs.  We should lead or be at the top of the league in rebounds , assists and scoring. and defense.  Of course Ky and S Carolina and others will have to be dealt with as the SEC IS STRONG AGAIN.  But i can not wait for Basketball to begin.

I'm right there with ya! CAN. NOT. WAIT!

As long as we can survive when Harper is resting we have the pieces to make a run to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney and we have the talent to go beyond that IMO. In a one and done era having the experience we will have out there will be a huge plus.

Man does it feel great knowing that we are no longer one of the youngest teams in the nation. I think our play will show that. Last year we were tied for most underclassmen on a single roster. That is incredible that we accomplished what we did IMO, and even with us limping down the stretch. I think I might be more pumped for basketball season than football season to be honest...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 12:56 PM, Tiger said:

I'm right there with ya! CAN. NOT. WAIT!

As long as we can survive when Harper is resting we have the pieces to make a run to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney and we have the talent to go beyond that IMO. In a one and done era having the experience we will have out there will be a huge plus.

Man does it feel great knowing that we are no longer one of the youngest teams in the nation. I think our play will show that. Last year we were tied for most underclassmen on a single roster. That is incredible that we accomplished what we did IMO, and even with us limping down the stretch. I think I might be more pumped for basketball season than football season to be honest...

Wow!  I did not know that.  Is that for the conference?

Bruce Pearl may go down as the best coaching hire in Auburn's history, Heisman included.

Edited by homersapien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really excited as well.  I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure I'm not dreaming.

It's an exciting time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year woke me up. On paper we should be much better. But we were pretty damn good then. It’s nice to look forward to. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tiger said:

I'm right there with ya! CAN. NOT. WAIT!

As long as we can survive when Harper is resting we have the pieces to make a run to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney and we have the talent to go beyond that IMO. In a one and done era having the experience we will have out there will be a huge plus.

Man does it feel great knowing that we are no longer one of the youngest teams in the nation. I think our play will show that. Last year we were tied for most underclassmen on a single roster. That is incredible that we accomplished what we did IMO, and even with us limping down the stretch. I think I might be more pumped for basketball season than football season to be honest...

 

There is a lot to be excited about for sure. Talent-wise we are deeper than I can ever remember Auburn being. I don't think point guard depth with be much of an issue. McCormick looks like a capable backup. Besides with the minutes that Harper puts in, he won't have to provide a spark, just hold down the fort 10 mins a night. Even if he struggles in the role, Brown and Doughty should be able to cover it between the two of them. That might end up being the preferred move by CBP anyway. 

 

However, we have a big obstacle to overcome. A MAJOR part of the success of the team last year was chemistry. Something nobody saw coming was the way that team would gell together in the absence of Wiley and Purifoy. Two of the glue guys are gone from that team, both electing to transfer. Heron has been the most consistent player of the court for multiple seasons. Very few ups and downs, night in and night out he put up his numbers. We need someone to fill that role, and right now we do not know who that is. Murray too is gone, taking with him not only his stats, but a toughness that our entire team fed off of. His grit will be missed more than his stats, but those aren't a loss to be easily dismissed either. 

 

There is a big question mark about how this group will gell and play together. Last year's team had an edge and a fight in them that is hard to measure. I hope Wiley and Purifoy and the newcomers recognize that from last year, and look to buy-in to the team first concept. I have my concerns about a bumpy start to the season; that doesn't necessarily mean we don't get it together at some point.  Hard to predict chemistry, hope I'm wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, JwgreDeux said:

 

There is a lot to be excited about for sure. Talent-wise we are deeper than I can ever remember Auburn being. I don't think point guard depth with be much of an issue. McCormick looks like a capable backup. Besides with the minutes that Harper puts in, he won't have to provide a spark, just hold down the fort 10 mins a night. Even if he struggles in the role, Brown and Doughty should be able to cover it between the two of them. That might end up being the preferred move by CBP anyway. 

 

However, we have a big obstacle to overcome. A MAJOR part of the success of the team last year was chemistry. Something nobody saw coming was the way that team would gell together in the absence of Wiley and Purifoy. Two of the glue guys are gone from that team, both electing to transfer. Heron has been the most consistent player of the court for multiple seasons. Very few ups and downs, night in and night out he put up his numbers. We need someone to fill that role, and right now we do not know who that is. Murray too is gone, taking with him not only his stats, but a toughness that our entire team fed off of. His grit will be missed more than his stats, but those aren't a loss to be easily dismissed either. 

 

There is a big question mark about how this group will gell and play together. Last year's team had an edge and a fight in them that is hard to measure. I hope Wiley and Purifoy and the newcomers recognize that from last year, and look to buy-in to the team first concept. I have my concerns about a bumpy start to the season; that doesn't necessarily mean we don't get it together at some point.  Hard to predict chemistry, hope I'm wrong. 

Great post. You're absolutely right. Who will do the little things Murray did? Do we have anyone that will do all the tough work? How will everyone be after a year of success? Egos change, there are next level aspirations that could derail the type of chemistry we had last year. 

What chemistry problems specifically do you forsee? Feel free to PM if you don't want to call any kids out publicly I'd love to hear your take because I thoroughly enjoy your posts throughout the season. 

BTW, totally agree with you on Murray. While not the most talented his junkyard dog style and effort is essentially impossible to replace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Great post. You're absolutely right. Who will do the little things Murray did? Do we have anyone that will do all the tough work? How will everyone be after a year of success? Egos change, there are next level aspirations that could derail the type of chemistry we had last year. 

What chemistry problems specifically do you forsee? Feel free to PM if you don't want to call any kids out publicly I'd love to hear your take because I thoroughly enjoy your posts throughout the season. 

BTW, totally agree with you on Murray. While not the most talented his junkyard dog style and effort is essentially impossible to replace

I have two primary concerns related to chemistry. 1. Do we have a player who can fill Heron's role at the 3? 2. How does the addition of Wiley impact our frontcourt rotation and our overall style of play?

On my first concern, I don't think Purifoy can simply plug in to account for the loss of Heron. Purifoy has not shown that he can be relied on to provide the steady production that Heron did. I think we have some options to address Heron's loss, but don't think CBP should ask too much of Purifoy. 

On my second concern, we were at our best with McLemore at the 5 last year, with Chuma and Murray manning the 4. With Murray gone and Wiley added, what will CBP do with that rotation? Spencer, McLemore, and Wiley all lack offense away from the basket. Playing two of them at the same time (McLemore at the 4 most likely) could hurt our ability to spread the floor and impact our overall style of play. Asking McLemore to develop and outside game when he is coming back from injury, is asking a lot. 

These are all first world problems. I have high hopes for this team and we have plenty of reasons for high expectations, but I also think there is a real chance we struggle a bit out of the gate. 

Edited by JwgreDeux
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO Murray and Dunbar were the pied pipers that made the chemistry special last year.  It helped having very productive players that allowed those 2 guys to be the "characters".  I think these guys genuinely like each other and purifoy/wiley were with the team all last year showing their support - which was really cool.  If nobody tries to be a draft pick, then we may just win a whole lot of games and a couple of them may end up being draft picks.

(I cant believe I just typed that last sentence!)

EDIT: FWIW, I think McLemore will be the back up #5 and can play some 4.  He had adequate enough 3 point shot to make it be respected.  Not saying he can handle the ball like CBP may want from his 4's, but I think nobody could ignore his potential.  It appears to me that Wiley and Harper are the only guys who will play a single position.  Everybody else seems to have the ability to play 2 or more.  

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this