President chickens out in front of his daddy

TitanTiger

Refuses to back his own intelligence agencies and acknowledge Russian interference in the 2016 elections at the joint news conference with Putin.

Good heavens what a wuss.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That was disgraceful. 

It's literally indefensible.  I cannot imagine the things being said right now amongst the men and women who serve our country in the intel community.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

It's literally indefensible.  I cannot imagine the things being said right now amongst the men and women who serve our country in the intel community.

A lot of people are furious, from both sides of the aisle. 

I would say I'm shocked, but that's a lie.  Nothing really surprises me with Trump anymore.  I'm just waiting to hear the defenses for this one.  Should make for some good reading.

Trump has always cared more about himself than he does the country.  He denies the findings of our own intelligence communities because it casts doubts on his own legitimacy.

Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanors.” It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???   - John Brennan

This Is the Moment of Truth for Republicans

There are exactly two possible explanations for the shameful performance the world witnessed on Monday, from a serving American president.

Either Donald Trump is flat-out an agent of Russian interests—witting, unwitting, from fear of blackmail, in hope of future deals, out of manly respect for Vladimir Putin, out of gratitude for Russia's help during the election, out of pathetic inability to see beyond his 306 electoral votes—whatever the exact mixture of motives might be, it doesn't really matter.

Or he is so profoundly ignorant, insecure, and narcissistic not to realize that, at every step, he was advancing the line that Putin hoped he would advance, and the line that the American intelligence, defense, and law-enforcement agencies most dreaded.

Conscious tool. Useful idiot. Those are the choices, though both possibly true—the main question is the proportions.

Whatever the balance of motivations, what mattered was that Trump's answers were indistinguishable from Putin's, starting with the fundamental claim that Putin's assurances about interference in U.S. democracy (“he was incredibly strong and confident in his denial”) deserved belief over those of his own Department of Justice (“I think the probe is a disaster for our country”).

I am old enough to remember Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon telling lies on TV, about Vietnam (in both cases) and Watergate for Nixon. I remember the travails and deceptions of Bill Clinton, and of George W. Bush in the buildup to the disastrous Iraq war.

But never before have I seen an American president consistently, repeatedly, publicly, and shockingly advance the interests of another country over those of his own government and people.

Trump himself manifestly cannot help himself. This is who he is.

Those who could do something are the 51 Republican senators, and 236 Republican representatives, who have the power to hold hearings, issue subpoenas, pass resolutions of censure, guarantee the integrity of the Mueller investigation, condemn the past Russian election interference, shore up protections against the next assault, and in general defend their country rather than the damaged and defective man who is now its president.

For 18 months, members of this party have averted their eyes from Trump, rather than disturb the Trump elements among their constituency or disrupt the party's agenda on tax cuts and the Supreme Court. They already bear responsibility for what Trump has done to his office.

But with every hour that elapses after this shocking performance in Helsinki, without Republicans doing anything, the more deeply stained they will be by this dark moment in American leadership.

James Fallows

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This, this, and more this!

While true, that is really off-topic.  Trump opposes the investigation into Russian meddling, period.  Trump is the one who conflates the two issues - Russian meddling and his "collusion" - to the point he dismisses even the former.

In an astonishing news conference on Monday, President Trump, standing next to Vladimir Putin, rejected the overwhelming consensus among U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election.  

“They said, ‘I think it is Russia.’ I have President Putin. He just said it is not Russia,” Trump said in Helsinki after a two-hour private meeting with the Russian leader. “I will say this: I do not see any reason why it would be.”

Trump deflected direct questions about Russia’s role in the 2016 elections, and declined to denounce Russia for interference when asked. Instead, he seemed to praise Putin. “I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial,” Trump said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/trump-putin/565238/

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

While true, that is really off-topic.  Trump opposes the investigation into Russian meddling, period.  Trump is the one who conflates the two issues - Russian meddling and his "collusion" - to the point he dismisses even the former.

I think that's what Graham is saying - that Trump is conflating the two and Graham is pointing out they are separate issues.

A thread  of just what I would expect from Trump haters. It wasn't his best moment but I think he did a good job and it was very worthwhile summit. It is better to talk face to face with Putin in a diplomatic way than to have a cold war. What bad will come of it........only positive IMHO. Putin could have kissed Trump's ass on live TV and the haters still wouldn't like it.

40 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm just waiting to hear the defenses for this one.  Should make for some good reading.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

A thread  of just what I would expect from Trump haters. I think he did a fantastic job and it was very worthwhile summit. Putin could have kissed Trump's ass on live TV and the haters still wouldn't like it.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

giphy.gif

Kind of surprised Proud feels that way considering Fox is ripping him too. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Kind of surprised Proud feels that way considering Fox is ripping him too. 

Proud is to Trump as Trump is to Putin.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think that's what Graham is saying - that Trump is conflating the two and Graham is pointing out they are separate issues.

Agreed.  And Graham has been saying that all along.

But the main point here is that Trump opposes even investigating Russian interference.  His campaign either guilty of soliciting such assistance or he just fears the appearance of doing so.  Either way, he clearly is willing to ignore the country's interest while protecting his own personal political interest.  Just what you would expect from a narcissistic psychopath.

9 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

A thread  of just what I would expect from Trump haters. I think he did a fantastic job and it was very worthwhile summit. Putin could have kissed Trump's ass on live TV and the haters still wouldn't like it.

That's just a sad display of complete cognitive dissonance.  Trump kissed Putin's ass and you think he did a fantastic job.  :no:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

That's just a sad display of complete cognitive dissonance.  Trump kissed Putin's ass and you think he did a fantastic job.  :no:

Well he did do a fantastic job...

...of kissing Putin's ass.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Proud is to Trump as Trump is to Putin.

Who am I kidding? Trump will go on Hannity, Hannity will fawn over him like usual and all cognitive dissonance will be erased  

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Separate issues, but Lindsey is crazy if he says there’s no evidence of collusion.

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

A thread  of just what I would expect from Trump haters. 

I don't hate Trump.  I hate things he says and does.  I hate his behavior sometimes.  I hate it when it cowers down in front of Putin like a little puss and throws our intelligence community under the bus on a worldwide stage.  But I don't hate him.

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

A thread  of just what I would expect from Trump haters. I think he did a fantastic job and it was very worthwhile summit. Putin could have kissed Trump's ass on live TV and the haters still wouldn't like it.

Yep, its all Trump haters that think he royally f-d up today.  Oh wait, you mean there are quotes from nearly every major Republican on Capitol Hill calling out the same things we are as a little more than concerning?  Well I guess they're all haters too.  Damn haters hating on everything.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/16/politics/congress-reaction-trump-putin-comments/index.html

Ben Shapiro weighs in:

The President of the United States made a fool of himself in his meeting in Helsinki on Monday with Russian dictator Vladimir Trump. He disowned his own intelligence agencies, went soft on Putin, and suggested that the United States bore some primary responsibility for the deterioration in relations with a country that has invaded two sovereign states in the last 15 years, hacked major American institutions, and fostered instability in the Middle East by backing the world’s worst human rights violators...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/33123/trump-slams-his-own-intelligence-agencies-insists-ben-shapiro

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Who knew a loudmouthed blowhard would turn out to be such a beta?

Some call them catchers, others call them bottoms. 

I know whataboutism is problematic, but seriously, he is everything that Obama and Hillary were accused of being but so, so, SO much worse.

Archived