First thing Chip will address at Fall Camp

WFE12

The first thing Chip Lindsey will address when Auburn opens fall camp

Updated on Jul 16, 2018 at 08:13 PM CDT
James Crepea
When Auburn opens fall camp in a couple of weeks the first area offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey wants to address is on the line.

Auburn returns three players with starting experience in left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho Jr., left guard Marquel Harrell and right guard Mike Horton and adds a multi-year starter from UMass in grad transfer Jack Driscoll, but still has a center competition to be decided.

"Last year we had to move guys here and there for injuries or different reasons and we started playing really well when we had kind of the same nucleus every week," Lindsey said before a meeting of the Birmingham Auburn Club on Monday. "I think that's the No. 1 thing, establish who that's going to be."

When Auburn expects to know its starting offensive line for 2018

It's been quite some time since Auburn entered a season with such a wide open battle of inexperienced players at center, where Austin Golson and Reese Dismukes started nearly every game dating back to 2011 and Ryan Pugh started for years before that.

Either Kaleb Kim and Nick Brahms, neither of whom played on A-Day due to injuries, will win the starting job and be responsible for leading the offensive line against Washington's defense on Sept. 1.

Regardless of who wins the competition, Lindsey said the protection calls will be made by the center.

"It's exciting in some respect because we recruited these guys for a reason and now they're getting their opportunity," Lindsey said. "Both of them had some injuries in the spring, I think they'll both be fine and ready to go for camp.

"They're both very intelligent, they're both tough guys. Making calls is not going to be a problem for them. They're both sharp guys. Our center is required to do that. All the way down to our third center we feel like should be able to do that. ... It'll be more about the guys (for Washington) than how they're lining up. They're lining up in three down or four down every time."

Auburn center competition 'to be determined'

Though Auburn ended spring with an open battle at right tackle between Austin Troxell and Calvin Ashley, the addition of Driscoll changes the dynamic of that competition.

Driscoll is the presumptive favorite to start and is actually Auburn's most experienced offensive lineman, albeit from a lower level of competition, and has made a great first impression around the program.

Both Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Jarrett Stidham praised Driscoll's work ethic in summer workouts and Lindsey echoed that sentiment.

"What I've noticed first thing is the guy works extremely hard," Lindsey said. "He's up there all the time studying film. He's learned our offense very fast. Coach Russell spoke very high of him in the weight room and when you get praise from Ryan Russell you're doing pretty good because he's tough guy to get praise from sometimes. Excited about him, really anxious to see him on the field in pads. So far so good."

After resolving the questions up front Lindsey is eager to see who emerges among the bevy of running backs.

RELATED: Auburn has ample depth, though questions still remain at RB

Kam Martin is the favorite to win the starting job and Malik Miller has limited playing experience in blowouts, but JaTarvious Whitlow, Asa Martin, Shaun Shivers and Harold Joiner are all also going to get chances to show what they can offer before the season.

"We feel pretty good about knowing our wide outs, knowing about our quarterback, but we need to figure out which running backs are going to be ready to go," Lindsey said. "And the guys that we can trust in pass protection, that can protect the ball, not just running the ball when they have it in their hand, but can do all the other things that come with playing the position."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe our success this season lies solely on the OL's shoulders.  If they do well, we are a championship caliber team.  If they don't, we will struggle.

I've been super worried about the center position, but at least he'll be bracketed by Horton and Harrell. Just need a guy who can stay sharp once he's playing under the lights. 

Very encouraged by the Driscoll comments. He's sounding like a lock at RT. 

I think we're fine as long as the center is serviceable. 

Last year's o-line was hit and miss in a few games last season with pretty some seasoned players.  This year will be hit 'n miss as well and I'm prepared for some rough games.  I only hope our coaches get a better feel for the right line chemistry early and the center spot knows his job right off the bat.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I've been super worried about the center position, but at least he'll be bracketed by Horton and Harrell. Just need a guy who can stay sharp once he's playing under the lights. 

Very encouraged by the Driscoll comments. He's sounding like a lock at RT. 

I think we're fine as long as the center is serviceable. 

To be honest, this concerns me the most.  Ashely came in as one of the highest OL recruits we have gotten and he should be able to win the job this year.  I know he came in overweight, but by his second year he should have the plays down and have gotten in shape.

26 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

To be honest, this concerns me the most.  Ashely came in as one of the highest OL recruits we have gotten and he should be able to win the job this year.  I know he came in overweight, but by his second year he should have the plays down and have gotten in shape.

He has been having motivation and drive issues as well.  I have done all I can do from the sidelines to motivate him.  

6B54F9DF-AFE4-49C2-BE67-3CE2B2B61115.gif

1 hour ago, Hspoprn said:

September 1st, if the past is any indicator................

August 

2 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

morgan-freeman-sneaky-1500374112.gif

2 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Haha. That's funny. Well played sir... Well played. 

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Keep the sacks under 12 in any one ball game and I’m good.

They only gave up 11 sacks against Clemson.  I'll bet you weren't good. :nonono:

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

They only gave up 11 sacks against Clemson.  I'll bet you weren't good. :nonono:

Ha!  Oh was it only 11?  My bad

seriously though I think Ole Grimey will make all the difference.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Keep the sacks under 12 in any one ball game and I’m good.

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

46 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Ha!  Oh was it only 11?  My bad

seriously though I think Ole Grimey will make all the difference.

Just play it off like a joke, Win, because it was an awesome one even if you didn't mean it!

If Auburn gives up 10+ Sacks again I’m moving to Auburn and coaching the Oline.  I was a mean 120lb middle school center.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, keesler said:

Last year's o-line was hit and miss in a few games last season with pretty some seasoned players.  This year will be hit 'n miss as well and I'm prepared for some rough games.  I only hope our coaches get a better feel for the right line chemistry early and the center spot knows his job right off the bat.  

If the line is hit, and miss this season it will be lack of talent, and or experience. 

Last year, I think was caused by a different reason. 

One player that you never hear anything about is Prince Sammons.  I know he was a 4 star recruit and has excellent size for an OT. Anyone know what is up with him? I really thought he would make a push to play OT by now.

WDE!

Doc

44 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

One player that you never hear anything about is Prince Sammons.  I know he was a 4 star recruit and has excellent size for an OT. Anyone know what is up with him? I really thought he would make a push to play OT by now.

WDE!

Doc

Didn’t he just switch to ol like last year? I’m not sure but it seems that way.

I would like to see the O take a page from the D and develop some depth and game experience during the first half of the season for our second and third stringers. Too many times I have seen the O under Gus become a one trick pony. Also, I think the team wins at the line of scrimmage. This could be a rocky start with the D having to carry the O for a while. I just don't see a well oiled machine like O at least for the first six or seven games. We have talented players but need oneness to win consistently.

59 minutes ago, auskull said:

I would like to see the O take a page from the D and develop some depth and game experience during the first half of the season for our second and third stringers. Too many times I have seen the O under Gus become a one trick pony. Also, I think the team wins at the line of scrimmage. This could be a rocky start with the D having to carry the O for a while. I just don't see a well oiled machine like O at least for the first six or seven games. We have talented players but need oneness to win consistently.

The only problem with that is that OL is such a mutualistic position.  

1 hour ago, auskull said:

I would like to see the O take a page from the D and develop some depth and game experience during the first half of the season for our second and third stringers.

We have talented players but need oneness to win consistently.

Those seem like competing ideas. 

We're going to need to rep the 1s a LOT this season and hope they stay healthy. Good news is Driscoll is likely the only guy we'll have to replace next season, so maybe you'll see more rotation then but for 2018... yeah... another season of on the job training. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Those seem like competing ideas. 

We're going to need to rep the 1s a LOT this season and hope they stay healthy. Good news is Driscoll is likely the only guy we'll have to replace next season, so maybe you'll see more rotation then but for 2018... yeah... another season of on the job training. 

Doesn’t he have two years eligibility left?

Archived