Former UGA players comments on Pruitt

Randman5000

The relative calm that had settled in for Southeastern Conference Media Days was disrupted when first-year Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt was hit with withering criticism from former Georgia players Aaron Murray and David Pollack. And he responded from the podium with a thinly veiled jab that created even more angst.

When Pruitt was defensive coordinator at Georgia in 2014 and 2015, there were rumors and reports that he and Georgia coach Mark Richt were frequently at odds. And the happenings in Atlanta on Tuesday and Wednesday seemed to verify that.

It all started Tuesday when Murray, a four-year starting quarterback for Richt from 2010-2013, questioned Pruitt’s fitness to be a head coach. David Pollack, an All-American defensive end who played for Richt at Georgia from 2001-2004, agreed.

Murray, now an analyst for CBS Sports Network, started the verbal jousting Tuesday afternoon, first on the SEC Network and later with Nashville radio station 102.5 The Game.

“I don’t know if his personality is fit to be a head coach,” Murray said on 102.5 The Game. “As a head coach, there’s so many things that go into it. It’s not just going out there and coaching. You have to deal with front office. You’ve got to go talk with the president of the university. You have to deal with boosters. You have to deal with the offense, the defense. It’s not just going in there and dealing with the kids and scheming up. There’s a lot that goes into it. I don’t think he’s the right guy to kind of be the CEO of a corporation.”

Murray said his opinion goes back to Pruitt’s time at Georgia. He arrived a year after Murray left.

“When he was at Georgia, the way he acted, the way he treated Coach Richt I thought was poor," Murray said. "He wasn’t as respectful as I thought a defensive coordinator should be to a head coach. That’s my thing, with authority.”

"When he’s dealing with the athletic director, when he’s dealing with the president, when he’s dealing with a booster who has given millions of dollars, you can’t go tell him to screw off. You have to take the meeting. You have to sit with them. Yeah, I know you want to be game planning and getting ready for the game, but you’re a head coach now. You have to do these other things.”

Pruitt, who also served as defensive coordinator for Jimbo Fisher at Florida State and Nick Saban at Alabama, praised Saban and Fisher for their work ethic and competitiveness on the Media Days podium. His description of Richt was wholly different.

“You know, Coach Richt, the things he taught you, one thing, probably the biggest thing to me is there’s more to life than football,” Pruitt said. “… You know, one of these days, that you don’t care how many championships you win and all that. So I’m thankful for the opportunity.”

Pollack, an ESPN analyst who frequently appears on the SEC Network, fiercely backed up Murray.

“The stories that I have heard and some of y’all have heard that came out of Athens – that are true, from coaches that were on the staff, some of the things Jeremy Pruitt did to Mark Richt, some coaches would tell you are the most disrespectful, most crazy things they heard,” Pollack said according to SaturdayDownSouth.com.

“I’ll be curious to watch Jeremy Pruitt as he evolves with this relationship with (Tennessee athletics director) Phillip Fulmer, because Jeremy Pruitt did a good job when he was with Nick Saban because he knew where he stood. He did a good job with Jimbo Fisher. They let you know where you stand. The hierarchy was very clear. How does he evolve as a head coach?

“He put on a good show (at the Media Days podium). “He definitely showed you what he has.”

3COMMENTS

Pruitt responded to the criticism in an interview with reporters who cover Tennessee.

“Fifteen years ago, I was a kindergarten teacher,” Pruitt said, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “Now, I’m the head coach at Tennessee. You probably don’t make that ascension without knowing how to treat people.”

Pruitt's never played nice with others. Coaches that recruit against him will want to beat UT badly. I hope Gus puts it on him this season and not make the mistake he made letting Smart off the hook his 1st year.

If you read UGA message boards, they have some interesting things to say about what actually happened between Pruitt and Richt. It was multiple events, not just one thing

31 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you read UGA message boards, they have some interesting things to say about what actually happened between Pruitt and Richt. It was multiple events, not just one thing

Thanks for the heads up Eugene! Def going to go check it out now. Richt and Pruitt just seems like a terrible fit personality wise. Just like it would of been if Gus had Pruitt working for him. Richt and Gus are 2 genuine nice people and Pruitt is rough around the edges to say the least. 

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thanks for the heads up Eugene! Def going to go check it out now. Richt and Pruitt just seems like a terrible fit personality wise. Just like it would of been if Gus had Pruitt working for him. Richt and Gus are 2 genuine nice people and Pruitt is rough around the edges to say the least. 

Let me know if you look it up

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/6637/anyone-see-where-aaron-murray-talked-about-pruitt

On 7/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, Randman5000 said:

IIRC, he got into it with Coach Rocker, too. Frick that guy. Hope he does just as bad as Dooley’s son. 

19 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

he got into it with Coach Rocker, too.

Dumber than I thought... and I was thinking "bag of hammers" kinda dumb.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, aujeff11 said:

IIRC, he got into it with Coach Rocker, too. Frick that guy. Hope he does just as bad as Dooley’s son. 

i am not a pruitt guy from his bama days for the record. but i noticed tracy rocker is on his coaching staff at tennessee? if i am correct it seems odd tracy would still work with him.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, aujeff11 said:

Met Coach Rocker in the locker room at Troy State after the Troy vs Jacksonville game............Extremely impressed with his genuine kindness?

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not a pruitt guy from his bama days for the record. but i noticed tracy rocker is on his coaching staff at tennessee? if i am correct it seems odd tracy would still work with him.

Yeah that is odd. I’m probably wrong. lol

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah that is odd. I’m probably wrong. lol

not slamming you for the record.  i wish we did know the truth.

I don't really care how well Pruitt got along with Richt or anyone else. I do care about how successful Pruitt is at UT. I'm hoping UT does great -- AFTER Auburn one&one with them. I'd be happy to see them tear UGA a new one, and UF and USCe as well. Pruitt? I don't really GAF.

13 hours ago, AURex said:

I don't really care how well Pruitt got along with Richt or anyone else. I do care about how successful Pruitt is at UT. I'm hoping UT does great -- AFTER Auburn one&one with them. I'd be happy to see them tear UGA a new one, and UF and USCe as well. Pruitt? I don't really GAF.

It’s UT’s year. Every year. Until it’s not. Then it’s next year. 

So....in going through that thread an the UGA forum.....there is a reference to JP wanting to pay players. I guess that's something he learned at bammer. My guess is that he will try that recruitment method at UT.

Wonder how Fulmer will react given his role in the Albert Means scandal? 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

qehv96ayv1x1.jpeg

Reminds me of the huge egg hunts that my grandmother used to do every Easter except that they involved 50 cents, dollar bills, 5’s, and 10’s. Thanks for the memories. Surely nobody believes this though.

It's most definitely a joke..........But I promise there will be some that believe it all because Kirby has uat employment on his resume.

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Reminds me of the huge egg hunts that my grandmother used to do every Easter except that they involved 50 cents, dollar bills, 5’s, and 10’s. Thanks for the memories. Surely nobody believes this though.

Sadly, arrest season in Athens has been disappointing. Probably their quietest offseason since Pre-Richt. 

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Sadly, arrest season in Athens has been disappointing. Probably their quietest offseason since Pre-Richt. 

Slow everywhere?

Fulmer Cup standings are apparently only updated through April so far, but (as of then)

"Only Texas Tech, Iowa State, and Florida State have multiple offenders so far and are currently eligible...It's been a relatively quiet offseason, with only 18 offenses so far, in contrast with 79 by this time last year (nearly have of which were in the Louisiana theft or Alcorn State food fight)."

Can we dare to hope the youth of today are showing improvement?  Making better decisions, adhering to the laws, rules, and regulations we as a society exist under in today's world?

??

• 2 weeks later...

I’d put a case of Natty Lite up that no coach will ever find success in Fulmerville.  Pruitt will be back on Satan’s staff as a coffee runner/analyst in four years. 

Archived