Kiffin speaks on UAT QB competition

GwillMac6

He’s right. Won’t stop Jalen from leaving if he wants to though. Blake Barnett left by game 4 and was eligible to play elsewhere by game 4 of the next season. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Kiffin speaks on UAT QB competition
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 10:53 PM, SumterAubie said:

Saban will have both of them thinking he will be the starter of the opener. 

Of course he will...that is part of his "system".

On 7/19/2018 at 4:56 PM, aujeff11 said:

He’s right. Won’t stop Jalen from leaving if he wants to though. Blake Barnett left by game 4 and was eligible to play elsewhere by game 4 of the next season. 

Leave during your final semester of school, just before graduation?  Maybe he's just that disgruntled and unhappy, IDK?

On 8/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, au701948 said:

Of course he will...that is part of his "system".

What coach would treat this situation any differently?

Seriously, Saban's got a QB that just won the NC + an QB with a 26-2 record with loads of experience against many of the top teams in the country........play your cards right, manage both QB's and your team retains it's position as the front runner for another championship season.  If one QB goes down, you've got a solid backup  - having a "Plan B" is smart business.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

What coach would treat this situation any differently?

Seriously, Saban's got a QB that just won the NC + an QB with a 26-2 record with loads of experience against many of the top teams in the country........play your cards right, manage both QB's and your team retains it's position as the front runner for another championship season.  If one QB goes down, you've got a solid backup  - having a "Plan B" is smart business.

It's not having a "Plan B" that's the problem. You are always defending the turds....ugh.

It's leaving a young man in limbo by not telling him where he stands. Hurts wants to be the starter this season. If that's not in the cards then the nickster needs to tell him that straight up. Hurts has paid his dues and he deserves to know the plan. It's disrespectful and hurtful to string him along. This is what the nickster did to the young man that I know, among other hateful things, and it was very painful for him to be strung along for months not knowing what to do. He wasted so much of that kid's time, effort and emotions. It is not the ethical thing to do, and it is tough on a kid trying to plan his future. It's also hard on a player's family.

It's just like the young man that I know....the .nickster could make a decision. He just doesn't see these players as people. They are all just a product to him.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's not having a "Plan B" that's the problem. You are always defending the turds....ugh.

It's leaving a young man in limbo by not telling him where he stands. Hurts wants to be the starter this season. If that's not in the cards then the nickster needs to tell him that straight up. Hurts has paid his dues and he deserves to know the plan. It's disrespectful and hurtful to string him along. This is what the nickster did to the young man that I know, among other hateful things, and it was very painful for him to be strung along for months not knowing what to do. He wasted so much of that kid's time, effort and emotions. It is not the ethical thing to do, and it is tough on a kid trying to plan his future. It's also hard on a player's family.

It's just like the young man that I know....the .nickster could make a decision. He just doesn't see these players as people. They are all just a product to him.

I don't give a crap about the distress, emotional anguish, and hurt feelings uat players endure under that coaching staff,  they and their families know exactly what they were getting into when they signed that LOI.  

Hurts hasn't been lead astray or deceived, he and his family know where he stands.  It's totally in the cards for a 2 yr starter (with a dang 26-2 record :banghead: ) who knows the system inside out to expect to be in the lead for the starting position.  He's just pissed because Saban has toyed with the media idiots over the course of the off season just like he always does. Jalen chose to voice his displeasure in a public forum (a mistake for any veteran starter/leader on a team.)

IMO, a coach is an idiot if he comes right out and tells players like Jalen/Tua who the starter is before the season.  A good coach wants competition, they want guys working their tails off and giving 100% everyday and to give them a depth chart early, tell them who #1-#2 is, would totally diminish the drive and determination of both QBs.

Hurts has an experience advantage, he's been in the system for yrs, he has the game-time advantage, he's had the ability to read defenses advantage over Tua.  He's had plenty of time to prove he's the undeniable starter, with 2 full seasons at the helm and a stellar record to show for it.  To further his position, he was QB#1 throughout the entire spring training, he started every scrimmage, he's had zero competition at the position up until fall camp.  And now he's got the entire fall camp to cement that #1 spot. 

I feel zero compassion for a kid that chose to play for a hard ass coach, has started for 2 yrs and racked up championships in his time there.  The kid will get plenty of PT this season, if he wants the lions share then he's got the opportunity in front of him to go get it.

You know, Gus has not come out and stated that Kam Martin is the starting running back.  Kam ain't expressing his displeasure - he is working his tail off to earn that starter spot, rather than expecting it to be given to him.  He knows there is new competition this year and he needs to earn his spot.

I don't care to defend Saban, but I can see where he would want his starting QB to earn the spot against the "new" competition.  I don't think that is stringing him along.  Sounds like Hurts is wanting to rest on his laurels instead of earn his spot (and may be worried that he will lose his spot).

I’ll defend the kid here. He didn’t complain about competition. He complained about his coach stepping up to a podium and saying, apparently without talking to the kid, that he had “no idea” if the kid would still be on the roster by opening day. That’s not a competition issue. That’s a coach either being flippant about the kid’s future or making up his mind (to play the other guy) and lying to the kid in private. Saban botched this one, not Hurts. 

2 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

You know, Gus has not come out and stated that Kam Martin is the starting running back.  Kam ain't expressing his displeasure - he is working his tail off to earn that starter spot, rather than expecting it to be given to him.  He knows there is new competition this year and he needs to earn his spot.

I don't care to defend Saban, but I can see where he would want his starting QB to earn the spot against the "new" competition.  I don't think that is stringing him along.  Sounds like Hurts is wanting to rest on his laurels instead of earn his spot (and may be worried that he will lose his spot).

It is clearly NOT the same situation. Good Grief.

27 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I’ll defend the kid here. He didn’t complain about competition. He complained about his coach stepping up to a podium and saying, apparently without talking to the kid, that he had “no idea” if the kid would still be on the roster by opening day. That’s not a competition issue. That’s a coach either being flippant about the kid’s future or making up his mind (to play the other guy) and lying to the kid in private. Saban botched this one, not Hurts. 

Finally....somebody gets it.

27 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I’ll add to that that he said nobody ever discussed the situation with him since the championship game all through spring to now. Then saban made the claim about not knowing if he’d be on the team then kind of threatened him about his fathers comments in the media. Saban is too good to be lacking in communication. Something is askew

4 hours ago, keesler said:

I don't give a crap about the distress, emotional anguish, and hurt feelings uat players endure under that coaching staff,  they and their families know exactly what they were getting into when they signed that LOI.  

Hurts hasn't been lead astray or deceived, he and his family know where he stands.  It's totally in the cards for a 2 yr starter (with a dang 26-2 record :banghead: ) who knows the system inside out to expect to be in the lead for the starting position.  He's just pissed because Saban has toyed with the media idiots over the course of the off season just like he always does. Jalen chose to voice his displeasure in a public forum (a mistake for any veteran starter/leader on a team.)

IMO, a coach is an idiot if he comes right out and tells players like Jalen/Tua who the starter is before the season.  A good coach wants competition, they want guys working their tails off and giving 100% everyday and to give them a depth chart early, tell them who #1-#2 is, would totally diminish the drive and determination of both QBs.

Hurts has an experience advantage, he's been in the system for yrs, he has the game-time advantage, he's had the ability to read defenses advantage over Tua.  He's had plenty of time to prove he's the undeniable starter, with 2 full seasons at the helm and a stellar record to show for it.  To further his position, he was QB#1 throughout the entire spring training, he started every scrimmage, he's had zero competition at the position up until fall camp.  And now he's got the entire fall camp to cement that #1 spot. 

I feel zero compassion for a kid that chose to play for a hard ass coach, has started for 2 yrs and racked up championships in his time there.  The kid will get plenty of PT this season, if he wants the lions share then he's got the opportunity in front of him to go get it.

You are not much of a human being if you don't care how your actions affect other people. That says a lot about who you are. 

And you are also wrong about the nickster, He is a despicable person. You can be hard nosed and still be a decent human being. He's not. That's really what's important here. But having people slobber all over him and make excuses for him just allows him to act like he's a god. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’ll add to that that he said nobody ever discussed the situation with him since the championship game all through spring to now. Then saban made the claim about not knowing if he’d be on the team then kind of threatened him about his fathers comments in the media. Saban is too good to be lacking in communication. Something is askew

nickster wants to have his cake and eat it too....at the expense of one Jalen Hurts. 

Jalen seems like a decent kid. I hope it all works out in his best interests.

This is not a rhetorical question...I really don't know because I haven't seen Hurts' interview in the full context.  Just merely what he did say...

Was he just spouting/venting at the opportunity?

Or, was he asked specific questions that led to these comments?

Pretty important distinction.

But bottom line, as I said before, he's a 19-20 yr old "kid" that has a lot of growing/maturing to do and this is exactly the type of "negative" experience that can be considered character building and teaching.

Saban is a 60-ish gazillionaire who is never told "no" and if he is, he's the biggest most trantrumist throwing baby, er...uh... I mean bully in the state of Alabama.

So, if I'm going to cut one of them some slack, you can probably guess which one.

.... Okay, I need to lie down.. Feel like I might puke again defending a bammer....ugh....

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

This is not a rhetorical question...I really don't know because I haven't seen Hurts' interview in the full context.  Just merely what he did say...

Was he just spouting/venting at the opportunity?

Or, was he asked specific questions that led to these comments?

Pretty important distinction.

But bottom line, as I said before, he's a 19-20 yr old "kid" that has a lot of growing/maturing to do and this is exactly the type of "negative" experience that can be considered character building and teaching.

Saban is a 60-ish gazillionaire who is never told "no" and if he is, he's the biggest most trantrumist throwing baby, er...uh... I mean bully in the state of Alabama.

So, if I'm going to cut one of them some slack, you can probably guess which one.

.... Okay, I need to lie down.. Feel like I might puke again defending a bammer....ugh....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24287837/jalen-hurts-comments-alabama-quarterback-competition-nick-saban

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Okay, so he's answering media questions.  ... perhaps loaded questions at that, and he's taking the bait....  Maybe, a saavy 35 yr old NFL QB doesn't take that bait (Ha, who are we kidding) but this young man did.

At least he didn't call a press conference just to announce his feelings on the matter, etc.

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, so he's answering media questions.  ... perhaps loaded questions at that, and he's taking the bait....  Maybe, a saavy 35 yr old NFL QB doesn't take that bait (Ha, who are we kidding) but this young man did.

At least he didn't call a press conference just to announce his feelings on the matter, etc.

Yep - the media baiting the kid and he bit it like that large mouth bass I snagged on Lake Jordan 2 weeks ago.  

Gotta say.....i like kiffin more and more each day. And not just because he likes to take digs at bama and saban from time to time. That certainly doesn't hurt though! haha

11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

It is clearly NOT the same situation. Good Grief.

I agree 100%. Hurts is a two year starter with a 26-2 record and has been the unquestioned leader of their offense vs Martin who has had a limited role and minimal carries in our offense and is trying to earn the tag that he can be “the guy”. Apples to oranges.

7 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree 100%. Hurts is a two year starter with a 26-2 record and has been the unquestioned leader of their offense vs Martin who has had a limited role and minimal carries in our offense and is trying to earn the tag that he can be “the guy”. Apples to oranges.

he may have helped with that 26-2 record but i dont see him as a leader type.. a leader gets on his team when they screw up and hold themselves accountable when they screw up themselves. a leader holds everyone else accountable. the bama wR's were frustrated as heck all last season. He's a good kid and a team player. but thats not the same as a leader. Cam was a leader..AJ Mctatt was much more a leader than Hurts.

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

Gotta say.....i like kiffin more and more each day. And not just because he likes to take digs at bama and saban from time to time. That certainly doesn't hurt though! haha

I never have liked him, especially after the unprofessional way he left Tennessee.

30 minutes ago, bigman334 said:

he may have helped with that 26-2 record but i dont see him as a leader type.. a leader gets on his team when they screw up and hold themselves accountable when they screw up themselves. a leader holds everyone else accountable. the bama wR's were frustrated as heck all last season. He's a good kid and a team player. but thats not the same as a leader. Cam was a leader..AJ Mctatt was much more a leader than Hurts.

I don’t think he is a very vocal leader, but who would you say on their offense was the leader last year? When a play needed to be made on offense, who was the guy they looked to or expected to make it?

Archived