Malzahn remains in a pretty good position

aubiefifty

On 7/20/2018 at 2:07 PM, Slammer1 said:

For our fickle fans I would like to point out that Nick Saban became a head coach in 1989 at Toledo. Saban had also been head coach at Mich St , Miami Dolphins before going to  bama. Gus has only been a head coach at AU since 2013 save his one year at Arky State and  we almost won it all in 2013 save for FSU's miracle win in the national championship game. Saban is light years ahead of him as far as being a head coach is concerned. I get annoyed with his stubbornness at times but he is still learning how to be a head coach. Saban didn't have any real success until LSU in 2004. He only had moderate success in the pros but I am sure he gained a lot of knowledge from Bill Bellichick.  So guess what I am really trying to say is, "patience grasshoppers". Gus has accomplished a hell of a lot more than the midget did in the short time Gus has been at the helm AND in the SEC!!

PS, Saban also has the REC behind him for recruiting.

WDE

Gus has an almost identical record as Dan Mullen did at MSU against SEC opponents while both were coaching against each other.  How many head coaching gigs did Dan Mullen have before coaching at MSU?  Dan had far less talent with far less amenities yet he had the same record as Gus had against the SEC.  Please stop the Gus is learning and the Gus comparisons to Saban.  Gus is who he is.  Any success he has or has had only reaffirms in his mind that he is an innovative coach who is smarter than everyone else.  Life is easier if we all understand who he is instead of thinking every year that he is going to change or all of the sudden learn from his mistakes.  Gus is Lucy and all of you are Charlie Brown thinking you are finally going to be able to kick the football.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/26/2018 at 11:16 AM, AUpreacherman22 said:

No offense A4E, but this post is a demonstration of the short-sighted thinking that has gotten AU, and many other programs, in a lot of trouble.  

Unfortunately, live in a world where wins and losses are the most important factor. That’s true.  But it’s not the only factor.

First, when looking at Ws and Ls, we need to look at big picture, not just the last 2 games. We could look at another 2 games and think he’s the best coach ever (only team to beat 2 #1s in a single season EVER!).  The truth is somewhere in between.  The biggest concern with CGM  is consistency.  It is reasonable to believe he is as likely of a candidate to get us there as anyone, and since he’s already here, keeping him is the only thing that makes sense.  

Outside of wins and losses, we look at academics, character on and off the field, PR, recruiting, long term outlook, etc.  In all of those categories, CGM has done very well.  

Lets pray for CGM, that he continues to excel at positively influencing these young men, and that he improves in consistency with game planning/game prep.  

(Another factor to consider is that lil nicky will be retiring soon.  Guess who will be in the best position to take over bama’s position on the throne of the SECW, and even SEC and nation?  AU can/should definitely be in that conversation)

The next Bama coach, and Kirby Smart.

8 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Gus has an almost identical record as Dan Mullen did at MSU against SEC opponents while both were coaching against each other.  How many head coaching gigs did Dan Mullen have before coaching at MSU?  Dan had far less talent with far less amenities yet he had the same record as Gus had against the SEC.  Please stop the Gus is learning and the Gus comparisons to Saban.  Gus is who he is.  Any success he has or has had only reaffirms in his mind that he is an innovative coach who is smarter than everyone else.  Life is easier if we all understand who he is instead of thinking every year that he is going to change or all of the sudden learn from his mistakes.  Gus is Lucy and all of you are Charlie Brown thinking you are finally going to be able to kick the football.

I've been trying to tell them...They won't heed my advice. I'm done falling for the trick.

8 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The next Bama coach, and Kirby Smart.

I’m thinking Dabo and what record does Gus have against him. I personally think when Dabo goes to the turds it won’t be any different than it is now. Dabo is doing good at Clemson, so could you imagine what he will do at Alabama with the talent there for the picking. Just my 2cents. 

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I've been trying to tell them...They won't heed my advice. I'm done falling for the trick.

Image result for lucy and charlie brown gif

Image result for lucy and charlie brown gif

5 minutes ago, WDE427 said:

I’m thinking Dabo and what record does Gus have against him. I personally think when Dabo goes to the turds it won’t be any different than it is now. Dabo is doing good at Clemson, so could you imagine what he will do at Alabama with the talent there for the picking. Just my 2cents. 

Yes.  I answered the next coach at Bama to "Who will take over the throne as the next great coach in the SEC West and Kirby Smart to the SEC and even the Nation.  I don't think Dabo ever leaves Clemson and I don't think Clemson ever lets him leave.  Dabo has like 1 or 2 games a year to get to the playoffs.  The ACC is no match.  Jimbo at FSU was his toughest competition.

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  I answered the next coach at Bama to "Who will take over the throne as the next great coach in the SEC West and Kirby Smart to the SEC and even the Nation.  I don't think Dabo ever leaves Clemson and I don't think Clemson ever lets him leave.  Dabo has like 1 or 2 games a year to get to the playoffs.  The ACC is no match.  Jimbo at FSU was his toughest competition.

True!!! I didn’t really think about the ACC teams when I wrote that but Alabama has some deep pockets and Dabo has already said he wants to coach at the turds. I would like to see Jimbo fall flat on his face for some of the comments he has made about the sec while at flea state 

Just now, WDE427 said:

True!!! I didn’t really think about the ACC teams when I wrote that but Alabama has some deep pockets and Dabo has already said he wants to coach at the turds. I would like to see Jimbo fall flat on his face for some of the comments he has made about the sec while at flea state 

Yes.  All that money and a face plant would be epic.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  All that money and a face plant would be epic.

Man that would be EPIC....:nanner:

One of those threads where everyone is correct. Polarizing coach. Y'all are doing a great job. Thanks for making it a 12 month season. Now, back to lurking.

Not 100% sure bammer signs a Dabo nor a Kirby when l'il general steps down.  They have their own fat egos as it is and probably don't want to follow a "legend". .... besides, Clemson and thUga aren't exactly B List schools and Kirby is "home".

Probably like happened after bahr quit, they'll sign some NFL name who thinks he can step in but then he'll find out saban's blackmail material on Emmert doesn't carry over so he'll have some actual eggshells to navigate when 'cruitin'.

bammer's time is coming to an end.  Maybe not soon enough to make us happy, but they've run their course and sooner or later bammer fatigue will set in.

I just hope Lucy finally let's ole Charlie actually kick the ball by then.

Regardless of when Saban retires, or how long their run lasts, or who they hire next, I just wish AU would step their game up. There’s no reason we can’t have our own sustained dominant run, and it is long overdue. WDE !!!???

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not 100% sure bammer signs a Dabo nor a Kirby when l'il general steps down.  They have their own fat egos as it is and probably don't want to follow a "legend". .... besides, Clemson and thUga aren't exactly B List schools and Kirby is "home".

Probably like happened after bahr quit, they'll sign some NFL name who thinks he can step in but then he'll find out saban's blackmail material on Emmert doesn't carry over so he'll have some actual eggshells to navigate when 'cruitin'.

bammer's time is coming to an end.  Maybe not soon enough to make us happy, but they've run their course and sooner or later bammer fatigue will set in.

I just hope Lucy finally let's ole Charlie actually kick the ball by then.

I did not mean to come across as Kirby going to Bama.  I was saying Kirby to rule the SEC along with Bama's next coach.  Kirby ain't leaving UGA to go to Bama if UGA wants him to stay.  We can hate him all we want but Kirby will have UGA playing at a high level for a very long time.  

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I did not mean to come across as Kirby going to Bama.  I was saying Kirby to rule the SEC along with Bama's next coach.  Kirby ain't leaving UGA to go to Bama if UGA wants him to stay.  We can hate him all we want but Kirby will have UGA playing at a high level for a very long time.  

I agree with you 100%.

Until/Unless Kirby gets caught using saban's "recruiting tools" and gets into trouble, there's no reason at this time to not think thUga is going to at least continue to be a thorn in AU's side for awhile.

Dabo MIGHT want to go "home" but he's creating his own legend at Clemson as Danny Ford was a long time ago and hardly a legend. ....Dabo can become THE man at Clemson (for their entire history) vs just another one at bammer.

Not sure who would appeal to the REC beyond another NFL name....just like Ray Perkins.....just like saban himself.

14 hours ago, jAUSon said:

One of those threads where everyone is correct. Polarizing coach. Y'all are doing a great job. Thanks for making it a 12 month season. Now, back to lurking.

Everything is cyclical, including football message boards. They all start out great but eventually evolve into 10-15 know-it-all, negative posters who post and post their negative same things over and over again. Then one day there are only those 10-15 posters posting anymore, and everyone is wondering where everyone went. This is how rivals and itat boards evolved into aufamily. Now the negative nancies realized everyone left them, and they are here. I wonder what the next AU message board will be in a few years.

23 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This made me laugh out loud and I needed that. Thanks. :laugh:

On 7/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, NorthGATiger said:

Damn. :no:

I really hate to agree with this, but it has the ring of truth. 

It's just so gratifying to believe Gus is just on the verge of "getting it".  All of "it".

I suppose that would make him worth $10 M /yr, huh? :-\

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Regardless of when Saban retires, or how long their run lasts, or who they hire next, I just wish AU would step their game up. There’s no reason we can’t have our own sustained dominant run, and it is long overdue. WDE !!!???

A good start would be to rack up our first back-to-back, 10-win seasons in 28 years. ;)

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I'm not buying into this line of thinking at all this soon.  I'm going to need to see a lot more than just 1 year with a team loaded with veteran players.    We can revisit this line of thinking in 2022-2023 and see what Kirby has done then.   1 year means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Damn. :no:

I really hate to agree with this, but it has the ring of truth. 

It's just so gratifying to believe Gus is just on the verge of "getting it".  All of "it".

I suppose that would make him worth $10 M /yr, huh? :-\

At least $9 M at that point. You know the expression " to the nines"?  Wouldn't that apply in that case? ?

48 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I'm not buying into this line of thinking at all this soon.  I'm going to need to see a lot more than just 1 year with a team loaded with veteran players.    We can revisit this line of thinking in 2022-2023 and see what Kirby has done then.   1 year means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Stocking his roster with 5 star QBs, lineman, RBs, and other athletes, indicates that he is on the right path. Rarely does that model fail. Especially at a state school in the SEC. 

Archived