Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What did you expect our defense to surrender in regards to YPC

I expected our D-line and good linebackers to have a good day against their run game.  I didn't have an exact number in mind as for YPC, but I thought we'd somewhat shut them down running-wise.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I expected our D-line and good linebackers to have a good day against their run game.  I didn't have an exact number in mind as for YPC, but I thought we'd somewhat shut them down running-wise.

Unrelated but question please...

Kolchak relevant to you personally or is it a reference to the old (and awesome) "Night Stalker" TV show?

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I'm worried about our run game.  I'm worried about our O-line, and our backs.  I don't see a Tre Mason, Kam Pettway, or Kerryon Johnson lookalike back there.  I see a bunch of backs who need to limit their carries throughout the season in order to stay healthy.

I hope yall are right, and I'm wrong.  I'm sure we'll run strong against the glorified high school team coming to collect a paycheck this Saturday.  Seven days after that will tell us much more of the truth.  And if we run strong against LSU and their huge defensive line, I'll be glad to come back here and gladly say that I was wrong.

And I'm not saying our run game is bad.  But I expected more than 3.3 yards per rush against Washington, regardless of their good defense.

We’ve certainly been spoiled with some high end rushing stats the past few years, so 3.3 seems low. But we only averaged 3.4 ypc vs Bama last year with Kerryon. A QB like Stidham is good enough to overcome it. 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Kolchak relevant to you personally or is it a reference to the old (and awesome) "Night Stalker" TV show?

Yes, it's a reference to the awesome character "Carl Kolchak" in the "Night Stalker" shows.  It was in reruns when I was a freshman at Auburn (1981).  I have the entire series and 2 movies on DVD.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I remember watching the 'pilot' for Night Stalker on the ABC Movie of the Week. I don't recall watching the series though, I guess someone else in my family had something else as a viewing priority in 1972.

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

We’ve certainly been spoiled with some high end rushing stats the past few years, so 3.3 seems low. But we only averaged 3.4 ypc vs Bama last year with Kerryon. A QB like Stidham is good enough to overcome it. 

I hope so.  If we can show some run strength against LSU and beat them, I'll be stoked.  Good run game + Stidham + our great defense = great things for AU football.

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

Yes, it's a reference to the awesome character "Carl Kolchak" in the "Night Stalker" shows.  It was in reruns when I was a freshman at Auburn (1981).  I have the entire series and 2 movies on DVD.

I was intrigued when I discovered it was the primary inspiration of The X-Files (per Chris Carter) and I only finally have been able to see it as we have a local station here showing all of the episodes.  Big fan!  Darin McGavin was such a great comedic actor.

Sorry for the brief derailment...haha

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I remember watching the 'pilot' for Night Stalker on the ABC Movie of the Week. I don't recall watching the series though, I guess someone else in my family had something else as a viewing priority in 1972.

It was my favorite show ever when it first came out.  I loved both of the movies, and the series as well.

4 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Being born in 72 I was obviously too young and don't remember reruns growing up but I'm loving the series now.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I was intrigued when I discovered it was the primary inspiration of The X-Files (per Chris Carter) and I only finally have been able to see it as we have a local station here showing all of the episodes.  Big fan!  Darin McGavin was such a great comedic actor.

Sorry for the brief derailment...haha

Yeah, Chris Carter loved the "Night Stalker" movies and series as well.  He tried to get Darren McGavin to appear on the X-Files as the Carl Kolchak character, but McGavin refused, because he detested the Kolchak character.  He wanted more creativity in that "Night Stalker" series, instead of constant "Monster of the Week" shows.

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, Chris Carter loved the "Night Stalker" movies and series as well.  He tried to get Darren McGavin to appear on the X-Files as the Carl Kolchak character, but McGavin refused, because he detested the Kolchak character.  He wanted more creativity in that "Night Stalker" series, instead of constant "Monster of the Week" shows.

I didn't know that.  Would have been an incredible episode....

That's too bad.

Anyway, I'm hammering an imaginary wooden stake thru the heart of LSU's vampiric run defense as we speak...

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

I don't recall watching the series though, I guess someone else in my family had something else as a viewing priority in 1972.

If  remember right, it always came on around or after midnight. That could have been reruns though.

13 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't see a Tre Mason, Kam Pettway, or Kerryon Johnson lookalike back there.  I see a bunch of backs who need to limit their carries throughout the season in order to stay healthy.

You do realize that those two guys were both injured multiple times in their 2 seasons splitting the primary RB duties, right? Pettway only played in 14 games the last 2 years. What makes you think that our current RBs need to limit their carries more than him?

Also, Whitlow is bigger than Tre Mason and looks almost exactly like KJ.

Kam is the guy for me right now b/c he can hold on to the football. Plain and simple. Boobie has what it takes to be RB1 but every time i see him with the ball so far away from his chest i cringe. I trust Kam and Worm the most with the football in their hands as of now. 

Sample size growing but still small.

With that said, Whitlow & Shivers are both much more dynamic with the ball than Kam.

Next week might settle it (not necessarily) but if I were making the depth chart it would be a Boobie-Worm backfield.

Also of note, Joiner impressed me as Wildcat and having Ryan Davis & Anthony Schwartz on the field at the same time is almost cheating.

War Eagle!!!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

With that said, Whitlow & Shivers are both much more dynamic with the ball than Kam.

Next week might settle it (not necessarily) but if I were making the depth chart it would be a Boobie-Worm backfield.

Also of note, Joiner impressed me as Wildcat and having Ryan Davis & Anthony Schwartz on the field at the same time is almost cheating.

War Eagle!!!

Really like Joiner's potential

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

War Eagle!!!

Chip really might turn Joiner into his next Kalen Ballage after all and that would be a very, very good thing.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Chip really might turn Joiner into his next Kalen Ballage after all and that would be a very, very good thing.

He was a beast!  Didn't he have a 6 or 7 TD game one year?

I really like what Kam has brought to the passing game. ATM I think he is the best rounded RB we have. Of course all of his competition are Freshman and Miller. By the way, Miller looked a step faster on his TD run. I wanted to see more of what Asa could do, but he had to go and fumble. Might have to wait till Southern Miss before we see him again. 

Archived