Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

@Barnacle, I personally don't equate "every down back" with "the man", and would in fact prefer a backfield with multiple every down backs and an absence of a the man. Or at least a situation where the man doesn't average significantly more carries per game than the next man. I don't think we have a disagreement there, and fortunately that might be the case this year. And I'm not terribly invested in which one of them KMart is in this hypothetical. I just think that he could be either, and that if he's the beta, then that means our alpha is really damned good. IMO.

As for whatever role is best for the team, that's the one I want him in. I was a HUGE Roc Thomas fan as an every down back. Had these same conversations then. I was wrong, and I ended up agreeing with the staff that he  would help us more in a complimentary role similar to Corey Grant or Eli Stove (likely a hybrid of the two). My opinion on Kam hasn't changed in that way. 

Totally respect your position on this topic, as I always do. And I hope you don't think my passive aggressive, generalized comments are ever targeted at you. 

War Eagle and cheers, my friend.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is a reason Kam received the majority of the carries in game 1 and was quickly pulled in game 2.  The coaches know the answer. Some on this site refuse to acknowledge it though.  Boobee shows a lot of potential, but is still doing some very HS things. If it were me, SS would be taking carries away from both backs.

I have no problem with any of this.

Frankly, I think it's refreshing for us to have been able to see as much of all 3 as we have.  ...and in useful ways.  Perhaps we're steaming ahead into an embarrassment of riches.

Also of note (again consider it was ASU) Joiner REALLY surprised me with his touches.  I hope we get to see more of what he can do against real competition.

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Edit: Is there a better way to parse out quotes from a post than requoting the entire post, and then deleting the parts that aren't relevant each and every time? Feel like that took me forever. 

Yeah bud, just highlight the part you intend to quote and a small orange dialogue box will appear that reads Quote selection. Lather, rinse, and repeat. 

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm going to go with a no OP. Kam is good but no way he is a every down back in the SEC. IMO. 

And ouch with Asa Martin. I know it was his first touch but he has bust written all over him, attitude and work ethic.  

We are paying the price for recruiting misses on OL and RB. Ironic for a HC who loves to pound teams running the ball.

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@Barnacle, I personally don't equate "every down back" with "the man", and would in fact prefer a backfield with multiple every down backs and an absence of a the man. Or at least a situation where the man doesn't average significantly more carries per game than the next man. I don't think we have a disagreement there, and fortunately that might be the case this year. And I'm not terribly invested in which one of them KMart is in this hypothetical. I just think that he could be either, and that if he's the beta, then that means our alpha is really damned good. IMO.

As for whatever role is best for the team, that's the one I want him in. I was a HUGE Roc Thomas fan as an every down back. Had these same conversations then. I was wrong, and I ended up agreeing with the staff that he  would help us more in a complimentary role similar to Corey Grant or Eli Stove (likely a hybrid of the two). My opinion on Kam hasn't changed in that way. 

Totally respect your position on this topic, as I always do. And I hope you don't think my passive aggressive, generalized comments are ever targeted at you. 

War Eagle and cheers, my friend.

I appreciate the discussion with you as always, and of course I respect your opinions as well. I also haven't felt like any of your comments have been targeted at me. Unfortunately, this conversation has been polarizing, and in an effort to remain somewhat neutral, I've felt the need to qualify my comments (probably unnecessarily) more so than on other topics. I appreciate you being a reasonable voice and your willingness to discuss our thoughts - I think that's part of the reason you and I have always gotten a long so well on this site. So, cheers to you too!

Good point about the distinction between "every down back" and "the man" - I wasn't making a distinction between the two where one probably needed to be made.

And, just to sum up my thoughts: 

As Whitlow and Shivers continue to progress, the more I believe we are going to see a true RB by committee, so the question of who is "the man" or not seems moot. The coaches don't appear to have an interest in any of our backs being "the man" in the same sense that Kerryon was last season. I think it's clear they are trying to get Whitlow up to speed in a hurry with the intent that he and Kam get a more even split of carries. Shivers will be our change of pace back. Therefore, I don't understand why people are so intent on a "yes" or "no" to the question of whether or not Kam is "the man" when it's probably irrelevant. Maybe that's part of the problem - people just feel more comfortable if there is a clearly dominant back on the team. The backfield you prefer looks like the backfield we are probably going to get. And, to be clear, I'm not arguing that Kam isn't our best option at running back, or shouldn't be first on the depth chart. Quite the opposite. As I've said, I believe he should be at the top of the depth chart - he's our most well rounded back.

I don't think any of the backs have had enough carries to really get into a rhythm. K-Mart seems like the kind of back that gets better with additional carries. Boobee is a stud but still a redshirt-freshmen which many seem to forget. Shiv should scare defenses if we use him correctly; he's hard to find in the muck. Asa will be a stud with time.

We're in a good position with these guys. If the O-line can create better running lanes is the question. Watch Miami vs. LSU. I don't think LSU's running back is inherently better than Boobee or K-Mart. However, he had some holes that my niece could have ran through for a touchdown and she's 5. This upcoming game against the feux Tigers will really tell us a lot about how our running game will fair for the remainder of the year.

Instead of running to set up the pass we might have to pass this year to open up the running.

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Therefore, I don't understand why people are so intent on a "yes" or "no" to the question of whether or not Kam is "the man" when it's probably irrelevant. 

You know, I've been carrying on this whole time thinking for some reason that the thread title was something different. It literally says "the man" right there, as you've been saying, but for some reason I had it in my head that it said "an every down back". I really need to start drinking less or start drinking more. You can guess which one I'm gonna go with. 

With you 100% on this. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I really need to start drinking less or start drinking more. You can guess which one I'm gonna go with. 

When drinking liquor, I like to think I'm drinking less of more. 

Boobee will win the full time job and be our 1000 yd back that we rely on in crunch time with the game on the line.  It will be this way after the LSU game moving forward (unless he fumbles again).   You've got to have a guy that can move a pile...so far that's Whitlow and Shivers.  Kam will still get some touches and be explosive, but in situational plays designed to cut the opponent's heart out.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Boobee will win the full time job and be our 1000 yd back that we rely on in crunch time with the game on the line.  It will be this way after the LSU game moving forward (unless he fumbles again).   You've got to have a guy that can move a pile...so far that's Whitlow and Shivers.  Kam will still be explosive, but in situational plays designed to cut the opponent's heart out.

#MMW

By the way, you'd make a great stock photo model. Just an observation. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I appreciate the discussion with you as always, and of course I respect your opinions as well. I also haven't felt like any of your comments have been targeted at me. Unfortunately, this conversation has been polarizing, and in an effort to remain somewhat neutral, I've felt the need to qualify my comments (probably unnecessarily) more so than on other topics. I appreciate you being a reasonable voice and your willingness to discuss our thoughts - I think that's part of the reason you and I have always gotten a long so well on this site. So, cheers to you too!

Good point about the distinction between "every down back" and "the man" - I wasn't making a distinction between the two where one probably needed to be made.

And, just to sum up my thoughts: 

As Whitlow and Shivers continue to progress, the more I believe we are going to see a true RB by committee, so the question of who is "the man" or not seems moot. The coaches don't appear to have an interest in any of our backs being "the man" in the same sense that Kerryon was last season. I think it's clear they are trying to get Whitlow up to speed in a hurry with the intent that he and Kam get a more even split of carries. Shivers will be our change of pace back. Therefore, I don't understand why people are so intent on a "yes" or "no" to the question of whether or not Kam is "the man" when it's probably irrelevant. Maybe that's part of the problem - people just feel more comfortable if there is a clearly dominant back on the team. The backfield you prefer looks like the backfield we are probably going to get. And, to be clear, I'm not arguing that Kam isn't our best option at running back, or shouldn't be first on the depth chart. Quite the opposite. As I've said, I believe he should be at the top of the depth chart - he's our most well rounded back.

Good stuff.

Just my piddly little add-on is based on how "the man" was abused at the end of last season and how much 90% of us complained (me being very vocal) I hope Kam, nor any of the backs, are "the man".  I am almost totally satisfied with the run distribution we've seen.  Only thing is definitely want more carries for Worm in the big games.

Beyond that, they're all wearing the O&B so I'm pulling for whoever steps up.

War Eagle!

53 minutes ago, Barnacle said:
56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really need to start drinking less or start drinking more. You can guess which one I'm gonna go with. 

When drinking liquor, I like to think I'm drinking less of more. 

More makes me smarter.

Less makes me make more sense...

20 minutes ago, The Freak said:

McLoof and Barnacle:

tenor.gif?itemid=10534296

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Barnacle and I get along far too well, so we decided last year we'd argue over RBs just to keep things crispy. 

Loof' is more of a "motion of the ocean" kind of guy. I just say, he's obviously never had a big boat. 

giphy.webp

Loof and Barn showing the etiquette of discussion and debating without being called a homer , sunshine pumper , negative nancy or melting.

Personally, I think Loof and Barn are trolls who are pushing a negative agenda....  

giphy.gif

So I know Boobee is rolling and I like what he has. With some concerns about who is behind him, what about McClain. 6'2, 210. Solid, can run. Why have we not tried him at RB? I know he is a WR but I am not sure he will crack the rotation with all of the young studs... Seems like it could be a fit..

I don't know what definition of " the man" is...but I'm pretty sure when we are at a third and one or two situation, Kam is probably not the guy who will be given the ball to make the first down..   :dunno:

On 9/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, ellitor said:

He doesn’t need to bulk much. If he has the mindset to do so he can be physical with the body has now. He has some elusiveness and small back ability in terms of movement also. You risk losing that if you bulk him up too much.

What is his actual weight? I’ve seen where some say it’s about 220, but it doesn’t look like it. 

20 hours ago, Barnacle said:

#MMW

By the way, you'd make a great stock photo model. Just an observation. 

I don’t know what to do with that.  You can follow me @bendcreations on twitter and Instagram though.

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Personally, I think Loof and Barn are trolls who are pushing a negative agenda....  

giphy.gif

Still waiting for Mcloofus to show me the evidence that Jason Smith was in the doghouse his senior year.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't know what definition of " the man" is...but I'm pretty sure when we are at a third and one or two situation, Kam is probably not the guy who will be given the ball to make the first down..   :dunno:

giphy.gifDoesn’t take Neil deGrasse Tyson to know you don’t put Shaq on the line to sink two game tying free throws either.

Archived